• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More big-ass guns... please

More big-ass guns... please

• No more Piff-Puffs... Hallelujah to high caliber guns!!!

Votes: 41 62.1%
  • Single player is not allowed have so much power... *grim sour face*

Votes: 25 37.9%

• Total voters
Mr.Russian said:
For all big-ass guns I meant vehicle or static mounts:

As for Luftwaffe MG 131/151s there could be a map where a downed bomber with operational gun-turrets would have to be defended:
MG151I20-2Fw200.jpg

thats a great idea!
hope we see that someday ingame...

>custom mappers go ahead!!! Please!< :D

Upvote 0
akd said:
.....MG 131 and MG 151 were aircraft cannons used in miniscule numbers on the ground.

First of all the MG 131 was a 13mm (.51 cal) heavy machine gun NOT a cannon. The MG 151/15 was a 15mm cannon. The MG 151/20 was a 20mm cannon.

According to various websites (link below) towards the end of the war when the Luftwaffe was grounded due to lack of fuel and pilots the guns being produced for the Luftwaffe (MG 81, MG 131, MG 151) were converted for ground usage because the Germans suffered from a shortage of MG 34 and MG 42's. The number of weapons converted to the ground role is unknown but it is probably alot more than miniscule. The MG 131 was reported to be very effective against enemy trucks and other vehicles.

Link
----->http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust.htm
Look under Page 5 : Machineguns

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok, I think I have changed my mind on this after talking to some other players.

I think it would be fun to have large caliber gun (antitank or otherwise) that could be towed behind a vehicle, such as the armored car or the 1/2 track. It would make them a more effective fighting tool and would just be really cool to see in a big tank/infantry map.

It would also be more manuverable than a typical tank or even a PTRD, since they could get in a good position, take out a tank or troops, and then jam outta there

Wish i could change my vote...

Upvote 0
ROMMEL34 said:
First of all the MG 131 was a 13mm (.51 cal) heavy machine gun NOT a cannon. The MG 151 was a 20mm cannon.

According to various websites (link below) towards the end of the war when the Luftwaffe was grounded due to lack of fuel and pilots the guns being produced for the Luftwaffe (MG 81, MG 131, MG 151) were converted for ground usage because the Germans suffered from a shortage of MG 34 and MG 42's. The number of weapons converted to the ground role is unknown but it is probably alot more than miniscule.

Link
----->http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust.htm
Look under Page 5 : Machineguns

The number of MG131's converted to ground role was infinitesimal when compared to the number of MG34's and 42's available. Hell, there were probably more Maxims and Spandau's available at the time. It seems a bit on the unfair side to give the Germans a gun that was practically a field modification and was barely used at all when the Russians don't have their .50 cal which saw ACTUAL factory production and was produced in numbers far exceeding the MG131.

IF they ever bother to model the MG131, it should be one of the LAST pieces of kit to be modelled.

Upvote 0
ROMMEL34 said:
First of all the MG 131 was a 13mm (.51 cal) heavy machine gun NOT a cannon. The MG 151 was a 20mm cannon.

While your red text, underlining and bold-italic fonts are the height of a persuasive argument, the establishment of the line between machine-gun and cannon at 20mm is somewhat arbitrary, and was not followed by all nations (although it is retroactively applied today).

For example, there is no logical reason why the MG 151/15 should be a machine-gun, while its derivative MG 151/20 is a cannon. They are essentially the same weapon firing similar explosive shells. MG 131 also fired explosive shells, and under some systems of designation would be considered a cannon. I think the designation of these weapons should make it clear that at the time the Germans were not drawing such distinct lines between the weapons. But traditionally, 20mm has been considered the smallest practical caliber to use high explosive shells in, and thus the minimum "cannon" caliber.

Really, the terms used are totally irrelevant and my main point was that the MG 131 was designed as an aircraft armament not a ground weapon, and its use in that role would have to be considered extraordinarily exceptional. I just broadly group this class of weapons under "machine cannon," as they were clearly a different family of weapons from the rifle-caliber aircraft guns derived from ground weapons.

If you want something practical in the game, how about a KwK 30 or 38 on a ground mount. Those were turned away from the sky and towards Russian lines quite regularly. Still, this comes with all the difficultly for implementation that any crew-served and not man-portable weapon is going to face.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mr.Russian said:
How unfortunate that there is no way to prove it :p.

No need. Sniper knows where you are before he even sees you. You have no idea where the sniper is until the bullet that is headed for you has already left the muzzle. You're dead. And it probably wouldn't take long for people to figure out how to kill without even exposing themselves.

Or better yet, how about we add stationary mortars for both sides, and then people can man the mortars and spam the memorized locations of the enemy mortars for the entire round?

Upvote 0
akd said:
And stationary weapons on maps that players can memorize...sniper target practice.

Actually, most of the WWII Artillery pieces had bullet shields which would provide some cover for the crewmembers. In fact, on the AT guns at least, the firer never had to look over the shield, since the sights were incorporated into it.

IMHO, these types of weapons would be more safe to use than the static MG mounts in other games, because of the bullet shields.

Ideally, Artillery pieces would be "vehicles" that could be towed into position (by Trucks or Halftracks), and then the crewmembers would be able to deploy the weapon and then man it somehow.

Upvote 0