• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

May I have Your Attention Please!

AsoBit

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
Kansas City, MO
www.flickr.com
Now I know all you of you here are kind people who love to help people in need.

So if you could just answer this short 14 question poll for this poor high school sociology student, it would be much appreciated. And please do not turn this into an argument, I just need simple data.

1.) How old are you?

2.) What is your religion?

3.) How did you come about your religion?

4.) Do you follow the guidelines?
(Yes, No, Only if it suits me)

5.) Have you read up on your religion (Bible, Koran, etc)?

6.) Do you attend a place of worship?

7.) How Often (In a year)?

8.) If yes to #6, why? If no, why not?

9.) Do you pray?

10.) why? Why not?

11.) Does religion matter when dating?
a.) When making friends?

12.) Are you open to other religions?

13.) Do you believe evolution or creationism?

14.) Overall, do you feel that religion of any kind is necessary?

I thank you for your time

1) 25

2) Agnostic

3) Simple, i feel there must be more to life than just what we see, but i dont feel any established relegion has the answer, so i follow my gut feeling and draw my own conclusions.

4) There are no guidelines, save my own morals.

5) Agnosticism has no texts, that would pretty much defy the whole concept..

6) Nope.

7) Not applicable.

8) There is no "place of worship" for Grobut'ism.

9) No, but i do meditate.

10) I do not pray because i do not belive in any god.

11) No and no, i could not care less aslong as people dont try to "recruit" me.

12) Yes, an important part of trying to draw your own conclusions is, afterall, educating yourself so you have something to draw them from.

13) Evolution seems good to me, the theory is far from compleate, but its a solid theory at its core.

14) Not at all.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
1) 17
2) roman catholic
3) parents but i myself chose to be catholic..
4) somewhat..
5) yes
6)church once in blue moon (used to go every week though)
7) 2-4 times
8) every now and then, cuz i feel you don't need to go to church to go to the better place.
9)yes

10) to ask for well being, for forgiveness , to thank etc

11)no
a) not really

12) no

13)creationism god created everything pure and simple...

14) yes, but some of them i'm not on the same page with...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1.) How old are you?

Christain (Charasmatic evangelical I think we pinned it down to.)

Going along to my parent's church and then joining a prayer club...thing at school and seeing the results of what happened

I try. So, most of the time, yes.

Yes
Yes, a church

3 out of every 4 weeks (the church itself doesn't have a normal 'meeting' once a month)

To meet other christains, because things happen more frequently when there are more people, and because I'm on some of the rotas

9.) Do you pray?
Yes

10.) why? Why not?
In short, to make things happen.

a.) When making friends?
Not particularily. Occasionaly I come up at odds over certainy views, but that happens wether religion is involved or not.

Nope.

I beleive God created the world, how and how long it took I couldn't give two hoots about.... both?

Yes, there's no purpose to life otherwise. Get born, live, die. However, I belive that if God didn't exist, we wouldn't be here, so I don't believe that if we did exist, and God didn't that we'd need to invent a religion, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps, and it might be interesting to see other people's views.

Upvote 0
1.) 16

2.) ATHEIST

3.) Well, my parents are both atheists but really let me come to my own conclusions with such things. I went to a Church of England primary school because it was the only decent one nearby, and, at that impressionable age, pretty much believed what I was told there. By the time I was old enough to think for myself I had realised that there was absolutely no good reason to believe in God or other religious ideas, and have been an atheist ever since.

4.) N/A

5.) N/A

6.) No.

7.) N/A

8.) Because I am an atheist. I have no place of worship. Unless you include museums and libraries.

9.) Heck no.

10.) Because I'm an atheist. :)

11.) It depends. I tend not to mind so long as they don't mention it regularly and they don't judge me and my life by their religious rules.
a.) See above.

12.) I generally have an open mind, but I spare little time for people trying to sell their bull**** to me.

13.) Evolution.

14.) Only for the weak of mind.

Upvote 0
1.) How old are you?

Atheist (allthough baptised, and regarded as roman catholic)

I was baptised as a baby. I have not taken part in the confirmation rite at the age of 14 though (which caused some trouble in the catholic village I live in), and thus I am not regarded as adult in church.

No.

No.

No

Never

Because I don't believe in any form of diety.

9.) Do you pray?
No

10.) why? Why not?
There is no God. To whom should I pray?

Nope, unless the girl has a problem with me not being religious at all.

a.) When making friends?
Not at all.

I am. I don't want or try to convince believers to join my atheist view.

Evolution

Not for me. It may give comfort, help and guidance to others though, so it surely has a purpose.

Upvote 0
1.) How old are you? 37

2.) What is your religion? Baptised as a Lutheran.

3.) How did you come about your religion? Raised Lutheran.

4.) Do you follow the guidelines? Follow my own guidelines based on many things..

5.) Have you read up on your religion (Bible, Koran, etc)? Yes interested in

6.) Do you attend a place of worship? hardly ever, only for funerals or weddings.

7.) How Often (In a year)? once perhaps twice if necessary.

Have many reasons for rarely going..
Can't stand the music and many of the people seem overwhelmingly superficial and hypocritical..and why spend time in the company of those?

9.) Do you pray? Once in a while.

10.) why? Why not? Why? When nothing else works why not try it.

11.) Does religion matter when dating? No but Perhaps.. only if the girl insists on performing blood sacrifice or is a blind extremist.
a.) When making friends? Same as above applies.

12.) Are you open to other religions? Somewhat...are we including fringe religions or cults here as well? All organized religion seems only like a cult on steroids. Open to religions to a certain degree.

13.) Do you believe evolution or creationism? Evolution and Science.

Well yes and no, I believe that organized religion has been twisted and formulated and has been used throughout the ages and to this day to conform and divide us in ways that suit other peoples desires(which aren't always just). I believe that what a person really needs is the belief and understanding of his or herself much more than being complacent and not questioning 'what is right or holy' in this lifetime. I believe in the potential for understanding of a God who is within each of us and find the ritualistic aspects of many religions very primitaive and deceptive.

My 2@

Mori

Upvote 0
1.) How old are you?

- Cult of Slaanesh

- Black Library, Liber Chaotica

- Only if it suits me

- Yep, see books at #3.

- No

- NA

- There is no such physical place.

9.) Do you pray?
- No.

10.) why? Why not?
- Do not ask what your god does for you, but what you can do for your god. Praying is not an act of worship.

- no

a.) When making friends?
- no

- no

- both

- belief is, religion isn't

Upvote 0
1.) How old are you?

Baptised and confirmed lutheran, but now uninterested agnostic

family

I think being a nice productive member of society is generally a good way to live. When my concept of that aligns with lutheran and christian teachings so be it. But I don't specifically consult any religion as a guide to life.

long ago

only for weddings and funerals

as often as possible for weddings (I like a good party) and hopefully very rarely for funerals

I don't think going to a worship service is necessary

9.) Do you pray?
no

10.) why? Why not?
eh...(see "uninterested agnostic")

I'm married, but were I dating I don't think I'd date any "religious nuts." In other words, I wouldn't date anyone that made my relationship to their god an issue in our lives. If they wanted to go to church I wouldn't stop them...just don't ask me to accompany.

a.) When making friends?
Not at all, but see 11) for guidance

Sure. I find religions as social contracts to be interesting, just not their gods.

Evolution

Not for me. Other people obviously feel differently. I tend to think "to each his own" until/unless someone is trying to impose their religious beliefs on my day to day life. When people use their religion to judge others I find it incredibly hypocritical.

Thank you for asking. Good luck with whatever you're working on. :)

Upvote 0
1.) 30

2.) None, I simply dont follow or believe in any of them...i dont dismiss the possibility of "higher powers" (and i dont just mean a "God) however...until someone proves it does OR doesnt exist i remain unimpressed by either Pro or Anti Religionists arguments and unable to subscribe to either view.

3.) Well if the above view counts as my own personal "religion", it came about after years of seeing rank hypocrisy and bull**** by organized religion...note though, i stress the ORGANIZED business/power/structure part is what i dislike, not people BEING religious.

4.) I follow my own standards and ethics and morals, nobody elses.

5.) Im no expert at all, but i have read many different religious texts...i couldnt form the above judgements and opinions if i didnt have at least a working knowledge of what i reject :D

6.) No. And if i WAS practising a religion, i would still say no.

7.) Not Applicable/None.

8.) Due to my above stated dislike of organized religion. I can read for myself and make up my own opinions, i dont need someone else telling me what i should or shouldnt believe based on their OWN opinions. Too many people think Priests (of any religion) are somehow "tuned into" God more than they are, and therefore more likely to be right about things...a view i utterly reject, their opinion is no more credible or valid than my own, they are human beings, not "holy infallible" beings, and if religious i would wish to worship God, not bow to them.

9.) No.

10.) Praying seems irrelevant to me...if God knows everything/is everywhere, he already knows my thoughts/wishes/wants long before i clamp my hands together, mutter at a wall or headbutt a rug while facing east.

11.) It only matters if the person (dating or friend) in question exibits zealous behavior. I intensely dislike people expecting you to be tolerant of their beliefs only to completely push their own upon you constantly...otherwise it makes absolutely no difference to how i view or treat someone.

12.) I am equally open or closed to ALL religions...i dont view any in a more preferable or unfavourable light.

13.) I believe in both and neither...i believe the 2, despite religious and scientific self-righteous refusal to accept anything else, are NOT mutually exclusive to each other either. I also believe both could be totally wrong, and as of yet i havent seen evidence that truly pushes one view ahead of the other.

14.) No. Stop killing and oppressing and going to war over religion and start worrying about the problems this planet faces ourselves instead of expecting some dude "up there" to fix everything, and the world might be a nicer place to live for EVERYONE.

To add a little humour, not intended to offend anyone, i remember once a little girl i knew had an imaginary friend...her family (after trying counsellors and shrinks trying to stop her talking to the friend) eventually took her to their priest to talk to her about it.

The girls response to being told by a priest that imaginary friends arent real and shouldnt be believed in or relied upon? Summed up by the following image :D

adults.jpg

Upvote 0
1.) How old are you?

Nothing you would understand

life experience, life stories of others

there are alot of guidelines to follow...which do you mean? my reliegious guidelines are my own! and they change all the time

Theres no "holy" book

yep

almost every day

'couse it makes me feel good

9.) Do you pray?
yeah, somtimes

10.) why? Why not?
out of desperation

a.) When making friends?
No, no, unless they are fanatics.

Im open to what they can teach me, and how they can help me progress in life, but I'm not open into joining one

both

14.) No, not really. People can believe without being member of a church etc. I think religions do more harm than good, the only good about religion is that it brings people togheter, and make them feel they have something in common, but they can get that by other things than religion...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1.) How old are you?

Atheist

Never really believed in god(s)

Well atheism doesnt really have any..
I have no book I consider "My bible" in any way..
No
-
-
9.) Do you pray?
no
10.) why? Why not?
There is nothing to pray to.
a.) When making friends?
No.
I am open to other people having them, but I cant see myself ever becoming religious
evolution
No.

No problemo

Upvote 0
MercyKiller said:
almost every one believes in evolution ... go pray to your god charles darwin then :mad:

very sad ...
The basics around evolution is a proven fact, its just the twisted religious, extreme right in the US who have suddenly stepped 200 years backwards and attempt to reduce it to "just a theory" you "believe in" Darwin was one of the first to document the fact that all animals adopt to survive, but he certainly wasnt the last. his basic theory have been confirmed again and again.

EDIT: Sorry wolfsglen, wrote this while you posted, I'll stop now.

Upvote 0
Who is to say God didnt program in evolution anyway? Hell if he managed to create an entire universe, i dont think making its inhabitants capable of adapting to change and problems as they appear would be too much of a problem ;) Like i said above, the 2 arent THAT mutually exclusive as people think when you start looking deeper into things and stop being so stubborn...its not a crazier theory than God or Science manages to be in the first place :D

Look at humans 2000 years ago in the alledged time of Christ and look at them now...you dont think landing on the moon, flying around in jumbo jets or performing surgery with lasers isnt a form of evolution itself? How about going from burning people at the stake to civil liberties? Even the Church is "evolving" in its own way...it just may not be so obvious as the physical leap from neanderthal caveman to sapiens...yet cavemen existed, so if they were around first, does that make God a caveman for creating us "in his own image"? Or maybe he created us with the intent of evolving all along...

EDIT: Sorry wolfsglen, wrote this while you posted, I'll stop now.

Yer fine, i dont mind people discussing things...hell im doing it lol. I am able to keep an eye on the thread so i dont mind, i just dont want to see people angry because someone dared to think differently to them is all.

Upvote 0