• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2 Subjects

Pinecone

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006
I have been an avid follower of RO since the beta for UT2004, and I have seen how the devs have improved so much since they won the contest. I have also been lurking on these forums for a while, contemplating whether or not I should buy this game (I most definetly will), but before I do so, l would like some questions answered:

1. Pop up shooters - In the beta, these people were most definetly the most contriversial. People would bring up the IS while crouched, pop up, and take out someone with good accuracy without putting up a very good fight. How has this been fixed?

2. Leaning - Once again, an issue in the beta. The devs strictly prohibited suggestions such as these (Or quickly dismissed, along with the suggestions for flamethrowers, medics, engineers, ect...). What was it that caused them to add this feature? Is it buggy at all in terms of hit detection? (DoD already has problems with bounding box, but lets not go there :p ).

3. Grenades - A recent thread talked about how they go too far, again. I remember the nades being good substites for mortars. Is it as bad as it was in the beta, or is it fixed?

The other subject is a request for a creation of a RO wikipedia. I think this would help in advertising, and help newbies become familiar with the game.

Pinecone said:
1. Pop up shooters - In the beta, these people were most definetly the most contriversial. People would bring up the IS while crouched, pop up, and take out someone with good accuracy without putting up a very good fight. How has this been fixed?
Having no idea how 'bad' it was, I can tell that the tactic still works (I use it myself from time to time). It's very limited however as unsupported IS get inaccurate very fast due to swaying, especially with rifles.

Upvote 0
1. It's always going to happen, but the new suppression effect (for those who aren't exploiting the unintended ability to turn it off) does work wonders. It's VERY hard to target anything when your gun is blurred to twice its normal width and you're seeing three of your target...

2. The lean mostly seems ok, but there seems to be something wrong with the bullet trajectories when you're in a lean. They're a bit whacked out and you can miss a perfectly aimed, straight-on shot from a lean that would be no problem if you're standing straight. I don't know if it's because of the angle, or the origin point of the bullet, or what. Even so, it's a very useful feature.

3. Grenades don't fly as far as they used to. Nowhere near it, even when you jump. Their blast radius was also reduced and a fun little bug atm with the fuses means that you literally just can't hold onto them for long enough to get much of a windup (when cooking nades/satchels, the timer goes at an accelerated rate). For the German ones anyway. Are grenade storms still annoying? Oh hell yes, but you're in more danger of being shot because you're too blurry too defend yourself than you are of actually being killed by one.

Upvote 0
King Ragnar said:
I dont understand,do people see pop up shooting as a bad thing, i thought it was a good tactic and quite realistic to be honest. It isnt really that easy to be honest.

It isn't realistic if it is carried out like in the mod: being in full cover, aiming approximately at the enemy, popping up for the brink of a second, when back in cover, readjusting aim, then pop up and shoot instantly.

Gladly, I have not yet seen this in ostfront, as the weaponsway is usually hinderance enough, and the resting of a weapon takes a little time.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN said:
1. It's always going to happen, but the new suppression effect (for those who aren't exploiting the unintended ability to turn it off) does work wonders. It's VERY hard to target anything when your gun is blurred to twice its normal width and you're seeing three of your target...
Why does everybody complain that you can turn the ****ing motion blur off. You'll get a ****ing black screen in return when it blurs which is seriously worse than some mild blur. Everybody always complained that the people with better computers had less of an disadvantage =\. And now suddenly having your screen go black is better than getting it blurred??

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
It isn't realistic if it is carried out like in the mod: being in full cover, aiming approximately at the enemy, popping up for the brink of a second, when back in cover, readjusting aim, then pop up and shoot instantly.

That's not realistic? Pop a look, aim at the spot they'll be when you pop up next, pop up and pull the trigger?

Upvote 0
SiFi said:
But in the mod, it was done at lightspeed, with no affect on your IS at all.

It may not be at lightspeed now, but with no real suppresive effect from MG, its real easy to use this to snipe the MG with rifle.

Also I love to crouch behind a sandbag with the Stg44. Just go to IS and you can almost instantly start shooting. On Odessa if you can get into the sandbags just in front of apartments, with a teamate or two behind you, you can take out a log of Russkies using this tactic. Unless you are facing someone you can accurately place a nade you are very difficult to kill. Most nades fall in front of sandbag or they over shoot. No suppressive effect so you just keep firing.

Upvote 0