• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra on Unreal Engine3 ?

vipk said:
Hi, first post.. ever

Anyway.. The devs have the licence for Unreal 2.5 engine.. basically UT04. Unreal 3.0 however is a new thing that they would have to buy and I seriously doubt they have that much money :) Better they make a mod out of it once UT07 is released.

Nope, thy own the UE3 licenses. So they can make a game on thta, allthough i think that developement on the engine itself is much more expensive, as much more detail is needed, etc.

Upvote 0
john said:
if the devs got license for Unreal Engine 3 why did they made red orchestra on Unreal 2.5 Engine not on Unreal Engine 3

Because they didnt want to wait the 2-5+ years it would have took to totally reprogram RO from scratch on UE 3.0 without a single penny of income the whole time and needing twice as much funding to utilize it and make something. Besides they already know UE 2.x intimately ;)

Upvote 0
We got both UE 2.5 and UE 3. Why would we waste the UE 2.5 license? And as wolf pointed out, a project on UE 3 would have cost us much more money, time and resources which we did not have. Many of the devs of RO:O worked months for free. We came close to closing up shop when we picked up the Steam deal.

Upvote 0
They've basically self-funded this project. Yes, the engine was "free" (if you count spending working unpaid for 2 years on the mod as "free") but there's so much more required than just the engine. Art assets, code, marketing, etc. - all that comes at a price.

IMHO it's a good decision they made, releasing RO:O to cover their expenses, raise money, and establish a foothold. Now, when it comes time to produce for UE3, they'll have a much better shot of securing distribution and capital since they already have a successfully released game on their corporate resume.

And if you're asking about UE3, then you've likely seen the images and models that UE3 can display. Those assets are lightyears ahead in complexity and technology. Normal maps, higher poly counts, more complex animations, etc. The higher the complexity, the more time consuming the production of these assets. All that comes at a price in terms of time and labor.

Upvote 0
any way thanks for great game i didnt know that you went through that rough time trying to get the game finish and having a friendly forums ( have you been on steam forums they eat you a live )and the devs talking on here has help to make this game to be the best ww2 game out there thanks

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
Nope, thy own the UE3 licenses. So they can make a game on thta, allthough i think that developement on the engine itself is much more expensive, as much more detail is needed, etc.
Well, everything you need to develop an Unreal Engine 3.0 game is in that license...

Except for UE3.0 capable computers, PhysX hardware, modelling- animating- skinning- software (which they probably already have) etc... :D

Upvote 0
no rush with RO on UE3 ... I love RO as it is... what I often think is - and I would say not only me - that I want game on (almost) whatever engine just to be realy enjoying... and thats RO!! Tripwire created great game. And I realy, realy hope that RO:O makes you enough incomes to make you "happy" and willing to continue working on this game (there are still few thing to improve;)

Upvote 0
I don't know how many employees worked on RO:O, but if it was about 15-20, they will need like 200 to do justice to the potential of RO on UE3.

But if RO:O does well enough, they can prove to investors and publishers that they know what they are doing, and then they can get $40 Million in seed money.

Then they can spend 3 years making what they really want to make on UE3: Daikatana 2.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
We got both UE 2.5 and UE 3. Why would we waste the UE 2.5 license? And as wolf pointed out, a project on UE 3 would have cost us much more money, time and resources which we did not have. Many of the devs of RO:O worked months for free. We came close to closing up shop when we picked up the Steam deal.

Oh, my bad then :) I didn't know you guys won UE3 aswell? I thought the contest was only for 2.x engine. Well if you ever release a UE3 based RO i will be happy to pay a ful price for it (50$) :)

Upvote 0