• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Windows Vista

After reading some reviews about Windows Vista, it's not really something I want to buy, at first when I heard M$ talk about Vista, I thought like "yay, the ultimate OS.." atm im fine with XP, it's stable enough for me, M$ will continue to fix the security holes as allways :D (In the end it's just about how you use the OS, sure, the OS can protect me, but if it protects me too much it's just annoying..)

Here are some reviews about Vista

CNET 'Hollywood, Microsoft align on new Windows'

Paul Thurrott ('Where Vista Fails')

Ten Reasons to Buy Windows Vista (and "five things that will give you pause")

And some screenshots: aff, I wish I could still use Windows 98SE :D

Last edited:
myzko said:
if it protects me too much it's just annoying..)

That is all the reason I've ever needed to not buy Vista. At first it looked like just an XP upgrade, but hte more you look at it the more you realize it's more carefully crafted to put little digital shackles on your computer and how you use it, almost entirely in the name of protecting 'intellectual property', not the user.

No thanks MicroSoft. When XP becomes obsolete, I'll finally make that final jump to a linux system with Wine or Codega emulation for the windows invironment so that I can game.

Upvote 0
One thing I found extremely funny in the 'Where Vista Fails' article is the part where his saying how hard it is to tell which glass window is the active one. Well excuse me but in all the screen shots he shows the active window is quite clearly marked with the controls in the upper right corner being illuminated (ie. the big red sqaure with an X in it). The active window sticks out like a sore thumb to me...

Doesn't say a lot for the critics intelligence.

Not that I'll be buying Vista though, it is going to be too restrictive for me.

Tak said:
No thanks MicroSoft. When XP becomes obsolete, I'll finally make that final jump to a linux system with Wine or Codega emulation for the windows invironment so that I can game.
Me too buddy.

Upvote 0
SheepShaver said:
Windows Vista is butt ugly and Leopard will render it completely obsolete.

+

Sherman said:
Microsoft is ripping off Apple so badly...

+

Capt.Marion said:
Because I drool so much over it, then am hit by the realisation that I'll never have an apple........without winning the lottery...

=

:D :D

*does the mac dance*

Upvote 0
Yeah apples are great if you like only having superficial control of your system and have the structural engineering degree required to disassemble the case to put a new stick of RAM in.

Oh they're also good if you like being bent over and screwed by the Apple shop with it's 100% mark-ups (and let's face it most Mac users are dumb enough to buy parts/get repairs there).

Got a mate with a G4 who wanted to put a DVD-R drive in it, I told him we could get a decent drive for 50-70 dollars and I'd put it in. But he says he only trusts buying from the Apple shop, for compatibilities sake, even though I tried to explain to him that it had a standard IDE interface inside. So he goes and orders a Pioneer DVD-RW A10, they charged him $120 for it. And that's a drive you could walk into any computer shop and buy for $60 bucks... can you calculate the markup on that?

I pointed this out to him while I was installing the drive and he is never buying from them again lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More like: PC, the guy who wants to do more than download mp3's into iTunes Macintosh.

I just think Macs are retarded, they excel in audio/video work but that's about it. Everything else is mediocre hidden under a veneer of trying to look 'cool and streamlined'. I don't care how bloody nice the interface looks I want to be able to get to my TCP/IP configuration at one click of my mouse, and I don't want to go through five dialogs to degauss my monitor, that's what Mac people (especially my mate) don't get, looks are one thing but functionality is much more important. Every Mac OS I've looked at including Tiger seems to have a habit of hiding system controls from the user, which I guess is good for dummies, but not me. Take the mouse as an example, Macintosh invented the mouse and a damn fine peripheral it is. But how quickly did the competition make it 1000x better while Macs continued to come out with un-ergonomic one button monstrosities? Isn't it only recently they actually resleased a mouse with more than one button and a scroll wheel? And then they hype it like it's the next big thing when it's really like, duh, PC's have had mice like that for 10 years...

IMHO Linux + Windows environment emulation = win.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tak said:
That is all the reason I've ever needed to not buy Vista. At first it looked like just an XP upgrade, but hte more you look at it the more you realize it's more carefully crafted to put little digital shackles on your computer and how you use it, almost entirely in the name of protecting 'intellectual property', not the user.

My thoughts exactly, another attempt by microsoft to corner the market and control their users. I think i'll be switching to linux too once xp becomes redundant so request to TW make sure your next game will be linux compatible please i'd rather not buy vista.

Upvote 0