• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Still tip-of-head point of view. Why?

Cleft_Asunder

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005
First of all, lets just get this out of the way: I'm not bitching, I simply want to turn a great game into a --hopefully-- masterpiece. The community in general has high standards, and that is a good thing.

Okay, so what do I mean in the title? Well I've talked about this in the old forums in regards to the mod, which also had it, but I don't remember the conclusion. To be specific, you are NOT looking through your avatars (soldiers) eyes. Rather, you are looking through the top-TIP of the helmet. How do I know this? Simple, I play the game and I notice instances where I'm getting shot at by a few pixels, even though in real life you would need to expose your head AT LEAST to fire your weapon.

You probably have, or definitely will, run into occassions where you can't see ANY part of the enemy except a couple of pixels, but the enemy can see you entirely through those pixels, and you get killed by him through a severe disadvantage. I've noticed that in the prone position this is especially true.

Like I said, a soldier should have to reveal his head at least to make a shot using iron sight. What do you guys think?

1)Why is this the norm for most, if not all, FPS's?

2)Is there something technically wrong with putting the FOV at eye level?

You're suggesting for a system similar to Operation Flashpoint? it has true first person view, very few games have that.

"true first person view" is where the camera is exactly between your eyes, you can see your body, feet, arms, look down and see your weapon in 3d instead of a first person model, etc.

That would require a lot of coding but yeah it's a lot easier to fix the system currently in. :D

Upvote 0
kabex said:
You're suggesting for a system similar to Operation Flashpoint? it has true first person view, very few games have that.

"true first person view" is where the camera is exactly between your eyes, you can see your body, feet, arms, look down and see your weapon in 3d instead of a first person model, etc.

That would require a lot of coding but yeah it's a lot easier to fix the system currently in. :D

It's good in theory, but at the moment it means you have to sacrifice detailed weapon models.

If you want to be able to look down and see a highly detailed, animated weapon model, then you need to make all third person models as detailed as the current first person models.

Now, imagine the slow down when you ahve a lot of players on screen. That's why OFP, while good, has pretty awful looking weapon models and almost non-existent weapon animations.

Upvote 0
If the camera is on the head, it makes more sense now, why people can expose so little of themselves and shoot through building sides. I've seen this happens lots where you see the gun flash, and when you have the sniper scope on the area, the guy is completely behind the wall in the window with just his gun sticking through the wall. You see myabe 4 pixels of the guys head so it makes for an extremely hard kill.

Something needs to be done about solid objects and letting sight/guns stick through them.

Oh, another glitch I noticed. On Odessa (at least with the German riflescope) there is a certain wrecked vehicle, where if you view it from a certain angle, makes it disappear. Now I could have sworn that I shot through the vehicle because I did not see it, but I did kill the guy buy it. Unfortuntely I did not realize that the vehicle was supposed to be actually there until after the guys body left.

Upvote 0
Ahh...so this explains my horrible frustration on Kaukasus last night. It really does make taking an MG pointless. I'll never use an MG again now that I know this is what is in fact happening.

Does this also explain why I sometimes see avatars holding binoculars to the top of their heads?

Upvote 0
Centar said:
It takes a dev or someone else with engine access / knowledge to confirm this, but I believe "true first person" may be impossible to do due to engine restrictions.
It is possible, the very first alpha version of Splinter Cell and Raven Shield had this if I recall correctly.

There even was an entire article about it in a gaming magazine once...

It just means that the textures and models of weapons and items will have to be somewhere between third-person put-ugly and first-person high-detailed quality.

It does have a few advantages, like the decreased developing time to create animations, skins and models.
And it's cool of course and can fix various gameplay issues like pop-up shooters... :)

Upvote 0
This happened to me on basovka, I was a Russian and I was crawling through the grass to the little hill with the few stones stacked up on each other. Before I get there, (I'm near the tree stump) a German pops up and we both fire and miss. We both bolted and waited for the other to make a move, two seconds pass. I see the tip of helmet appear above the hill, not enough of it to shoot, but I can line my shot up so when he gets over the hill I can BAM!!! HE SHOT ME?! WTF! It was a one hit kill, so even though I was prone he didn't hit my feet, he hit my torso or possibly my head.

Though lowering the view to eye level isn't going to help a whole lot, you can shoot at whatever you see in FPS's. But viewing through the neck or chest wouldn't be realistic. So the only thing that could be done (besides lowering the view) would be to seperate the body's/arm's movement from the head. Which would be difficult to play with controls wise and I imagine being pretty difficult to code. So I suggest the view be looking out of the avatar's chin.

Upvote 0