• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

tank gun sight usage ?

Kekec

Mar 24, 2006
Anyone know how to properly use the tank gun sight ?
im refering to circular writings on german tank gun sight and horizontal lines on russian tank gun sight.
At first i thought it must be some kind of help to estimate the distance or something similar , but couldn`t figure it out.

Simply estimate the range to the target and press lean left / right to cycle to the most accurate range on the sights. Or you can screw the whole adjusting bit and just estimate the arc you need based on a gut feeling - you can be just as effective once you get a hang of it.

I used not to use the range options but nowadays I do a lot of the time (not always). It appears that if you do not use the options, the shell will strike a bit to the right from the aiming point besides just being off vertically. I learnt to compensate for that, but it is a LITTLE easier to be pinpoint accurate with the use of the range adjusting.

kempe - that's a minor detail and I don't think it matters. Would be cool if the changed it, though.

Upvote 0
"also if u change the sights, the shot goes higher without moving the barrel

why is this?"

With linked gun sights, range adjustments are made incrementally to the gun, relative to the sight. On other, simpler sight designs (Russian mostly) it is the reticule (inside the sight itself), and not the gun, that is being moved when you make range adjustments.

In other words, with the more sophisticated linked gun sights (IS-2, T-34 85, Panther, Panzer III\IV, Tiger, etc.), you can first place the reticule on the target and then adjust for range. While, with some Russian sights (T-60, T-34 76, etc.), you have to adjust for range and then place the reticule on the target. It's perfectly realistic. This might be in the manual.

"It appears that if you do not use the options, the shell will strike a bit to the right from the aiming point besides just being off vertically."

This is called parallax. Since the optics on a tank are positioned laterally in relation to the main gun, in order to hit anything accurately at certain ranges, range adjustments need to compensate not only for the drop of the shell, but for the angular deviation (parallax) between the sight and the gun. This is automatically corrected for whenever you make correct range adjustments in game.

Upvote 0
I have not learned the distances on the maps yet. Perhaps I will use the range settings more when I do. I find that I have gotten pretty good at just adjusting manually by eye though. Based on the apparent size of the target. Works just as well.

For me, learning to lead is much harder than adjusting for range.

Upvote 0
stigmata said:
I have not learned the distances on the maps yet. Perhaps I will use the range settings more when I do. I find that I have gotten pretty good at just adjusting manually by eye though. Based on the apparent size of the target. Works just as well.

For me, learning to lead is much harder than adjusting for range.

On Arad at 500 meters I'm guessing that guys that don't set the range are the ones that keep missing me. With a driver who move a few feet after every shot its even better. I've found that when I set the range, at least on the german tanks, to within 200 meters of the actual range I'm about 80-90% on first shot hits.

Upvote 0
Theodrake said:
On Arad at 500 meters I'm guessing that guys that don't set the range are the ones that keep missing me. With a driver who move a few feet after every shot its even better. I've found that when I set the range, at least on the german tanks, to within 200 meters of the actual range I'm about 80-90% on first shot hits.

Aye, im guessing the same, often other tanks at range get the range right, but they hit just a tad to the side of me with their first shot, and it gets much worse for them if im on the move.

From time to time i'll take a quick un-ranged shot at an enemy, especially if my driver has not spotted him and we are not angled, so time is at the essence.. but if i have to lead the target, i'll take the time to range first nomatter what.

Upvote 0
Everyone who haven`t read the history and tactics guide yet, should do so.I made a mistake and read the manual, but did not put much attention to tactics guide, thinking it contains just boring history which i already know and heard 100 of times.
What a misteka da meka.
Great stuff, i printed it out, lied down and realy enjoyed reading it.Plenty of usefull stuf, and it would realy be a pitty for someone playing RO to miss it.

pg.21 = gun sight descriptions
pg.26 = range estimation

Upvote 0