• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Leader and Spawn ideas.

Janster

Apr 28, 2006
As this has been a topic of mine in several posts I thought I'd jot down some ideas.

I belive that ROO needs more realism when it comes to chain of command, and squadron management.
You cannot have modern warfare without this imho.

ROO has like many other in this type, very little tools for teamwork, and infantry spawning on large maps leaves things desired.

- A 'sergeant' or 'platoon leader' unit.
- The ability for people to select a squadron to join before launching into combat.
- The ability to spawn on this leader, but perhaps with a few variants over the subject.
If the leader is IN supply ( can trace a uninterrupted line from hq spawn to himself) then he can spawn additional troops near him.
Or, he can be the only person allowed to drive the armoured carrier vehicles, which allows others to spawn from them again.

I belive the second variant to be interresting enough, as it gives tanks a reason to defend these aswell as take them out.

Platoon leader should also be the only one with binocs, and perhaps should also be worth an extra point if killed.

I belive this would simulate ingame reinforcements to the platoon, and give the infantry the ability to get right into the nitty gritty faster on big maps.

Also I belive the leader should be on the map for ease of navigation.
All this would represent the 'briefing' given to the soldier before he goes out.

Thank you

Janster

Janster said:
As this has been a topic of mine in several posts I thought I'd jot down some ideas.

I belive that ROO needs more realism when it comes to chain of command, and squadron management.
You cannot have modern warfare without this imho.

ROO has like many other in this type, very little tools for teamwork, and infantry spawning on large maps leaves things desired.

- A 'sergeant' or 'platoon leader' unit.
- The ability for people to select a squadron to join before launching into combat.
- The ability to spawn on this leader, but perhaps with a few variants over the subject.
If the leader is IN supply ( can trace a uninterrupted line from hq spawn to himself) then he can spawn additional troops near him.
Or, he can be the only person allowed to drive the armoured carrier vehicles, which allows others to spawn from them again.

I belive the second variant to be interresting enough, as it gives tanks a reason to defend these aswell as take them out.

Platoon leader should also be the only one with binocs, and perhaps should also be worth an extra point if killed.

I belive this would simulate ingame reinforcements to the platoon, and give the infantry the ability to get right into the nitty gritty faster on big maps.

Also I belive the leader should be on the map for ease of navigation.
All this would represent the 'briefing' given to the soldier before he goes out.

Thank you

Janster

I wouldnt be against although some sort of squad system but no spawn on leader thats a bloody terrible idea the present spawn system simulates soldiers coming in off the map to reinforce the battle can you imagine spawn on leader we'd have people appearing out of thin air and spawn killing trust me do a poll i think most people would be against bf2 stlye spawning.

Upvote 0
Seriously Janster, stop with the bf2 spawning and squad leader stuff. You've stated your point about 10 times in multiple threads and the post in this topic looks almost exactly the same as one in another topic. I even remember you stating how this game "steals" innovations from other ww2 games and then you say you want it to take the BF2 spawn system...

Basically the bf2 spawn system won't be implemented, the Devs don't want it. The system would mess up gameplay, once games start having over 100 people then the spawn system could work for huge maps, but as of right now it will just fubar RO. Now please stop spamming this BF2 and teamwork jibber jabber.

Upvote 0
Having no leadership system in this game is inexcusable, your not playing WW2 game, your playing something else, but with the guns of the time.

I want squadleaders IN , end of story, I want them to be useful and have real effect on the battlefield.

Don't quote realism on spawning systems, you will loose btw

Currently its no fun being infantry man in this game on big maps, it needs to change if they are going to have any other players than some really narrowminded fans.

I've played tons of ww2 games, from WW2 online to Steel Panthers, and Close Combat series and tons of others.
Particularly Close Combat series showed how squads work, and how the units support eachother, something this game should be able to do aswell imho.
Currently it does nothing like this.

Janster

Upvote 0
Janster said:
Having no leadership system in this game is inexcusable, your not playing WW2 game, your playing something else, but with the guns of the time.

I want squadleaders IN , end of story, I want them to be useful and have real effect on the battlefield.
Don't quote realism on spawning systems, you will loose btw
Currently its no fun being infantry man in this game on big maps, it needs to change if they are going to have any other players than some really narrowminded fans.
I've played tons of ww2 games, from WW2 online to Steel Panthers, and Close Combat series and tons of others.
Particularly Close Combat series showed how squads work, and how the units support eachother, something this game should be able to do aswell imho.
Currently it does nothing like this.
Janster

Ok like i said i wouldnt mind squads if it worked that is, but man stop being so bloody aggressive and pushy, people are much more likely to listen if you put your point across in a less totaletarian fashion never make the mistake of thinking you alone are right and anyone who doesnt agree is somehow not worth listening to.

Upvote 0
Statistically BF2 is doing mighty mighty fine, far from crappy i'd say, the best thing going for it is the squad/commander integration, something RO could possibly learn from, I'm sure they haven't copyrighted the idea of it.

I don't like the idea of spawning on your squad leader in RO-O, I honestly don't think theres enough room on the maps to do that, but what does sound interesting is spawning in somebody elses tank so you can fill up the positions.

*edit* It would also be cool if you could select where you wish to spawn from your currently held and (Mapper selected) chooseable spawn objectives.

Upvote 0
While you're shooting down other people's ideas, how about coming up with your own? This game does need a system that supports squad interaction. At the moment we're just a group of individual soldiers, which is hardly realistic.

On public, that is, clanners may be co-operating a lot better. Still, if BF2 could get squads to work on public servers, this game should aspire to do even better!

Upvote 0
While you're shooting down other people's ideas, how about coming up with your own?

I've been known to shoot down people's ideas, but I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not. But as you have seen I have posted my ideas and you even posted in my thread, so I question whether that comment was directed towards me or not.

Upvote 0
hmmm. i'll throw my 2 cents in here, as I have played both games (185+ hours in BF2, and quickly approaching 100 hours in RO:O).

BF2's squad system was/is a truly revolutionary feature that kept me playing it longer than I might have, considering it's gamey/arcade feel. there was something about it that made gaming better.

bottom line though, with ANY game, the quality of the gaming experience is comepletely server dependant. I think I dropped more BF2 games than finished, as I would server surf until I found a good game. there was more ass-holery than in all the games I ever played, COMBINED! the player base was awful, rude kids, TKers, chopper whores, jet whores, you name it.

however, at the end of the day, it was some of the best gaming I ever have done once I found a good server and some like-minded team mates. I had some awesome moments as a squad leader, and felt the games scoring system allowed the "tactical" player to do well instead of just being a kill-whore.

As the discussion relates to RO:O, I don't see why, say on an infantry only map, that each side could not be comprised of two EASILY IDENTIFIABLE squads. why not? each with a squad leader. so you'd have 2 squads of 8 guys each on a full server. that alone could increase teamwork if the squad leaders were effective and worked with their people as well as the other squad.

Upvote 0
It was not for you especially Strother. People on this forum are just very keen on shooting down ideas as soon as they come up instead of actually thinking about them or coming up with their own.

ROOST as it is isn't canonized, so suggesting changes is not sacrilege. In fact, it needs changes, like the armour damage model.

Heinz, I, too, have played BF2 more than I care to think about. Even though most of the "customers" are kids, whores and plain idiots, the Squad System WORKS most of the time if the Squad Leader makes it his business and is ACTIVE in actually leading his squad (lazy Squad Leaders get what they deserve). Now how would it work with a more adult playership, like that of ROOST?

Upvote 0
Here is a far out idea. Perhaps RO could implement some sort of communication system where people could talk to each other and coordinate their efforts... oh wait, we already have that!

Honestly, VOIP works fine for me. I have jumped on plenty of servers and found mature players who like to team up. Two nights ago on Konigsplatz I played on the German side. I knew nobody but we held every strategic point for the whole game. The Sovs were stopped cold. Riflemen communicated with the anti tank teams. We anti tankers communicated with our armor. Our Armor responded to requests from infantry for support and shouted out for help if Sov armor came up. It worked great. I also got a 100+ meter PF kill on a Sov tank behind cover. It was absolutely beautiful too see it drop down from above and then just see the explosiion behind the rubble where only a tank barrel had been visible before. My point is that there is already a perfectly good way to coordinate if people take advantage of it.

There is only one aspect of BF2 that I would not mind seeing integrated. I would love to see a command to "spot" an enemy like you can in BF2.

Upvote 0