• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you want developers to FORCE teaming up in Tanks?

Do you want developers to FORCE teaming up in Tanks?

• Total voters
MkH^ said:
Wait a second, lets rethink... The server has 32 players. That makes for 16 each side, now divide that by two - driver and commander for each tank and you have 8 crewed tanks. Holy crap Batman! That's more tanks than there are available on most maps!

What? No machine-gunner/radio operator? Okay, you can take just two crew members, but all outside of vehicle chat features will be disabled. This handicap is realistic and will force people to play as they are intended to as teams in a tank. I mean, two tanks with two crew-members will always beat 1 tank with 3 crew members, right?

Upvote 0
Force? No.
Create a sub class for the tankers yes...
IF We were to do anything like this id say it would be something like:
Have a limited MG class, and a Limited Pilot Class, And a limited Commander Class...
Pilots Pilot, Commanders Command, and the Machine Gunners Gun.
Right now its like watching 4 year old kids fighting over who will steer the goofy metal wheel on a play structure.
And I dont see it happening due to the slim amount of players in a single server allready.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by MkH^
Wait a second, lets rethink... The server has 32 players. That makes for 16 each side, now divide that by two - driver and commander for each tank and you have 8 crewed tanks. Holy crap Batman! That's more tanks than there are available on most maps!

Arad, which is the premier tank map (IMHO) has at least 10 tanks for each team (the forward and rear spawn points) and you aren't factoring the number of players that decide to play other infantry/antitank classes; there's always some.

So anyway, yeah, there's almost always several lone tankers out there on that map.

Upvote 0
The thing is that, if you have three serious players in a tank, the game is already pretty good, a few tweaks here and there wont do any harm thats for sure.. I, like everybody else, started solo, only to realise that "teaming up" gives a large advantage over a single tanka.....The system just needs a bit more balance !:cool:
So I voted for keep it as it is.....51

Upvote 0
whenever im tanking im always torn, I want to give the crew a try and be a team. BUT 80% of the time when i let someone be gunner.... they screw up constantly to the point where jumping between stations would have been more effective (and often just shooting their mg.. advertising out position to everyone). The bottom line is, if i knew the other person was good enough to Gun (should be one of the easiest positions... which is why i make a point to drive) I would ALWAYS let them and try to play with them every time. HOWEVER as it stands my tank is more effective if im the only one in it. (i voted for the delayed position change as this is realistic)

Upvote 0
fiftyone said:
I, like everybody else, started solo

I started team tanking and the experiences were so dreadfull trying to be a gunner with the average driver I dedicated time to being a driver, in which case I found it the most boring gaming experience ever, having nil to do but drive around and angle the tank, move, repeat.

That's not my idea of a good time.

Upvote 0
I want to force them to put fuel in the things, smoke cigarettes and piss in empty gas cans. I want them to put smellivision in the game so you can smell the stink of body sweat, exhaust fumes, diesel fuel and cordite. I want them to freeze their asses off in the winter, and burn them off in the summer. I want them to deal with constant breakdowns, bogged in the mud, frozen fuel lines, misfired shells, broken tracks, bad logistics, muddy vision periscopes, air attacks, minefields and loud engines.

Don't you think you tanker bastards already have it easy enough?

gonzman said:
I started team tanking and the experiences were so dreadfull trying to be a gunner with the average driver I dedicated time to being a driver, in which case I found it the most boring gaming experience ever, having nil to do but drive around and angle the tank, move, repeat.

That's not my idea of a good time.
So what you've said is you don't like tanking? The gunner position was dreadful and driving was boring. So why do it?

Upvote 0
Driving a tank for someone who can gun and communicate simple orders is a joy. Gunning for someone who knows how to keep the tank hull down and shoot and scoot is very fun. Gunning or driving for someone who doesn't know what they are doing is pure frustration, and the game environment is in no way condusive to teaching someone, even IF they wanted to learn. If the devs want to force or "encourage" me to have this experience, then I expect Tripwire to pay ME money for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
I want to force them to put fuel in the things, smoke cigarettes and piss in empty gas cans. I want them to put smellivision in the game so you can smell the stink of body sweat, exhaust fumes, diesel fuel and cordite. I want them to freeze their asses off in the winter, and burn them off in the summer. I want them to deal with constant breakdowns, bogged in the mud, frozen fuel lines, misfired shells, broken tracks, bad logistics, muddy vision periscopes, air attacks, minefields and loud engines.

Don't you think you tanker bastards already have it easy enough?

So what you've said is you don't like tanking? The gunner position was dreadful and driving was boring. So why do it?

I love doing both without the irritation of somebody else being there to screw stuff up.

E.g I do it better on my own, I can angle my own tank and stop when I WANT to stop, then fire at what I want to fire at and when.

Upvote 0
gonzman said:
You're welcome to leave spawn at any time and go for a jog, fitness is important.

No matter how much I run in RO my chararcter has the stamina of a fat cheese curl eating couch potato! Twenty feet and the poor bastard sounds like he's having an asthma attack.:p

gonzman said:
You could also stand around for the average 20-30 seconds before somebodies tank blows up and get in it as it respawns too, but seriously go for a jog in the woods of Arad.

Yeah, it could be less than 30 seconds or much longer before a tank respawns. That isn't the point.:rolleyes: Should the infantry classes have to stand around waiting to be issued rifles, ammo and grenades?

Upvote 0
I have to agree with this one. For the record i am a noob, but I learned the most about being effective in a tank by going solo. I don't mind teaming up with someone, as long as there is communication (VOIP), but it seems like that is only a handful of players using it. The ones who jump into the tank w/me generally ONLY want to be the gunner, and I don't want to be a chauffeur for someone the entire map. Besides, if there are enough tanks to go around, aren't 2 tanks more effective than 1 when it comes to teamwork?

Upvote 0
driving, and being good at it, is great fun. it's also a nice feeling when the gunner all of a sudden realizes he's drawn a good driver by the luck of the draw, and is truly appreciative. :)

put together by random chance, the team that is successful then tends to stay together as long as possible. with comments like "nice run we had there!" in between spawns and stuff. truly some fun moments in gaming IMO. very rewarding.

as has been said in many other threads, give it a chance, the old Team Tanking thing. most players have more experience now, and it's definately alot of fun. additionally, there are some basic screening things you can do to weed out the bad ones. if they are shooting at spawn, that's a bad sign. ;)

Upvote 0
stebbs said:
I have to agree with this one. For the record i am a noob, but I learned the most about being effective in a tank by going solo. I don't mind teaming up with someone, as long as there is communication (VOIP), but it seems like that is only a handful of players using it. The ones who jump into the tank w/me generally ONLY want to be the gunner, and I don't want to be a chauffeur for someone the entire map. Besides, if there are enough tanks to go around, aren't 2 tanks more effective than 1 when it comes to teamwork?

I dont understand i think driving is much better not only do you have more control therefore less chance of getting killed by learner tankers but i find it so much more satisfying.

Upvote 0
I find driving a serious reminder of how unfinished the tank system is, it's very simplified and feels like it doesen't belong in the realism game, I know this sounds stupid but the physics are unrealistic and without anything difficult involved in driving the tank (It's a pickup and play thing at the moment) it's not very satisfying.

Improvements are needed, manual gearing and better physics in driving, turning, speed, and interaction with the map.

One thing about the BF series and Balkans on Fire (tank sim) is when driving around it does feel like the tank is coupled with the environment you are driving in, In RO it feels like you're just gliding over the surface of the map.

Upvote 0