• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation 3DS max or Maya?

I prefer 3dmax myself, but other than softimage, its the only program I worked with. Though getting Maya PLE is the most economical way to go (or gmax... though I never used it) being free and all... you cant lose out.

And you should be able to find ut2004 for a cheap price nowadays... (that is if they still carry it in store's...)

A shame installing the SDK currently prevents from RO:O from running... but hopefully the team will resolve that issue... would like to get into creating static meshes and such for mapping purposes.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
Chernuk said:
Ah man, you really got my hopes up. Looks like I've got to track down a copy of UT2004. Thanks for your help Wicked Penguin and DrGuppy.

Try amazon. I got a copy (Editors Choice w/ all the tuts for vehicles and importing and crud) for like $15 usd instead of $30... If you just want regular UT2k4, you could probly get it for , eh, $15 bucks and less... This is, of course, Amazon.com, no .co.uk or whatever....

Good hunting!

Upvote 0
its all about what u like or do not.. i HATE max.. frust 3D progame i lerned and it did not work for me...i like maya mach bater(for UE stuff any was)... my frinds like max and not maya...both work fien

just try thim out and see wate u like...its like a panter uesing a differt brush... thay both work but thay like this one and not that one... its that esay:)

Upvote 0
The only difference is in the ease of exporting your models into Ostfront. The ActorX plug-in does not work for PLE so you have to use the UT2K4 plug-in, export your models into UEd (for UT2K4), save them as a new package, and move that package into the Ostfront folder. This could be a problem if you do not have UEd. The only other differences between PLE and the full version are tiny features that you will never need to use.

Upvote 0
I just took an hour dling and installing Maya only to have it open with an error everytime. Turns out it doesnt work on Windows XP home edition. Call me an idiot for not knowing that beforehand but what kind of retarded program doesnt run on XP home. Not only that but why cant these ****ing programs cleanly uninstall. They leave you with multiple folders of bull**** that you have to manually delete. When I hit uninstall I expect it to get rid of everything. I dont need that bull**** left behind.

I got Blender instead. Its open source and got alot of praise. Seems like its the Gimp of 3d modelling (Gimp is an open-source image editing program which, imo, is, in most aspects, just as good as Photoshop plus it has more features).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
I just took an hour dling and installing Maya only to have it open with an error everytime. Turns out it doesnt work on Windows XP home edition. Call me an idiot for not knowing that beforehand but what kind of retarded program doesnt run on XP home. Not only that but why cant these ****ing programs cleanly uninstall. They leave you with multiple folders of bull**** that you have to manually delete. When I hit uninstall I expect it to get rid of everything. I dont need that bull**** left behind.

I got Blender instead. Its open source and got alot of praise. Seems like its the Gimp of 3d modelling (Gimp is an open-source image editing program which, imo, is, in most aspects, just as good as Photoshop plus it has more features).
Oh sh*t dude! i remember blender...
That program was tight...getto, but tight.
Its like the baby brother of Maya

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
Now that's weird... which version of Maya did you DL? I've run multiple versions on my laptop, which has XP home on it.

PLE 7. Maybe it actually does run on home but I got the error and googled it and searched their forums with no result. Then I saw a list of supported OS's and XP Professional was listed but not Home so i just figured that was the problem.

Upvote 0