• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Timing Out In Multiplayer

Hello I'm trying to figure out this problem I seem to have. I went through the tweaking guide and tweaked everything. I still cannont connect to a server. I get to the loading screen and it just sits there. I let it load for an hour and nothing would happen. I think I'm timing out but I'm not sure.

Thanks very much,

[1.Gebirgjaeger] Jager Jakob Wulffson

Sounds like a firewall or router blocking RO's access to the internet to me.

Try running RO in a window (there is an option in the configuration). See if your firewall pops up a message box. From there you may be able to allow RO to access the internet. Or try reducing your firewall's security settings for a test run to see if it is indeed the firewall.

If you have a linksys router, be sure you have the latest firmware. There is a thread in the Steam forums about that.

Floyd

Upvote 0
First (and I know you don't want to hear this)........if you are running Windows XP, you really need more RAM. You need more RAM anyway. :( If you use your computer for anything other than browsing the internet, every program you run will benefit.

Second. I'd suggest playing with the CacheSizeMegs settings. Try 32, 64 (you might try 96 or 128 but that might be stretching it in your case). And be sure that all of your precache settings are turned off (false/never? See appropriate thread).

As you did not mention anything about your HD space and specs or any "virtual memory low" messages, we'll assume that is not a problem.

Floyd

Upvote 0
No problem. Sorry I'm so slow at getting back to you at times. (Its my busy season...and I was hoping some of the gurus here would chime in...)

Somewhere in these forums is a thread that describes the step necessary to increase your Virtual memory size and/or letting windows handle the size. I can do it, but I can't give you a step by step :eek:

Defrag your hard drive, too. Prior to that, get rid of any unneeded junk on your hard drive. At the very least, do the Window's clean up.

I'll look around for the threads that contain some of the info.
Try this one:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99216&postcount=4

Floyd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jakob Wulffson said:
Okay Floyd, it actully worked...for one map. Now I connect and I can't move at all or reload I can fire my weapon thought until the clip finishes off.
Jakob, unfortunately you are timing out between map changes :( . Just like what was happening when you tried to join earlier. Some maps take longer to load than others.

Aside from increasing your RAM (I'd opt go for a completely new system ;) ), the only other option for you would be to make certain that you have absolutely no superfluous programs running in the background. You need to free up as much memory as possible.

I don't know the specifics of your motherboard or your current memory configuration, but increasing your RAM to 1Gb (minimum) would not be that costly. Even if you had to completely toss the 384 you have now, depending upon your specific memory, 1Gb would only cost $60-$100. And what a difference it would make for your whole system.

Hope to see you on!

Floyd

Upvote 0
oi

oi

ok all the problems u just said about freezing on load times waiting hours for it to enter im pretty sure what the problem is floyd is 99% right on getting more beacuse i only got 256 ram and the egsact same things happens to me i never get into a online server because i time out and i really get annoyed i think the most obvious solutions is getting ram i still 256mg of ram so unfortunatley i dont play red o beacuse of that i play practice mod once a week or two weeks etc...im still working on getting 1gig of ram but its to expensive for me witch i live in toronto i gotta pay 169.99$ plus tax but i got a job now and im working on it when i play practice mode i put all my video deatials on the lowest now gore no blood no nothing its discusting the way it look etc...the reason i do this is to cut off some load time not to menchin my graphics card is an msi nvidia geforce 2 mx400 64mg witch im pretty sure its crappy but oh well i need ram more than a video card well thats all i gotta say oh and when i play practice mode even though it looks pretty crappy and stuff (for me) i love the game and especially when im infintry(love the tanks) this game is most realistic game i have ever played but the (problem!!!)is my ram beacuse i cant get into any online server and just for practice mod with all my video details on lowest it take me around 10 min to get in not including the lagg after choosing teams and choosing weapon then getting in is a total of 20 min so this is really fustrating but im working on getting more ram,so these is to tell u get ram and your not only one feeling dissapointed:( if u want reack me my msn e-mail is [email protected] just so we can talk about our problems

sincerely
Crackhead!!

Upvote 0
Six_Ten said:
Steam automaticaly updated itself a few hours ago and now I get the same freeze. Nothing else in my system changed from earlier last night when I was able to connect.
Same. It looks like some conflict between Steam & the SDK. The latest Steam update rendered multiplayer completely broken for me. I'll wait for a proper fix as I'm tired of the "move this here/delete this workaround routine". More time for mapping I guess.

Upvote 0