• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Reboot Problem that may be tied to the editor

Steve Connors

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2006
I have never had a problem until now.

everytime I try to start RO it reboots ( I DON"T HAVE ZONE ALARM)

i was using the editor and thought that might be it, however it too is unbootable, i get a error that the core.dll is not a valid windows image.

I tried to re-unpack the editor and now i get a general protection fault.

RO still reboots as soon as i double click on it.

I did a search and found nothing, since all the others are about ZA

Will i need to redownload everything??

Anyhelp would be great thx.

Look here:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104340&postcount=8

there I posted my fix that worked for me! As you mentioned, I also experienced it after having installed the SDK. Never happened before, and now it already happend twice.

I was very lucky to find this fix, as I have two accounts and strangely the other one worked. (Windows creates separate .pf files for each RO.exe).

If it happens to more people, DEVs should perhaps take a look into the issue. An other temporary workaround would be to disable prefetching for applications at all.

Upvote 0
Oh, this is just great... Now I have to delete the prefetch file every time I want to start the game. I even deleted the SDK using Steam's "delete all offline content" option, and it still bluescreens on me.

I don't know how I know, but somehow, this has got to be connected to Steam...

Upvote 0
A workaround would be to disable prefetching for applications at all:

In your registry (Start -> execute -> regedit):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

There is an key named EnablePrefetcher. Set its value to 2. This tells windows to only prefetch boot files.

Give this a try! If it works - great! Otherwise reverse the setting to 3.

DON'T FORGET: this is just meant to be a workaround!

Upvote 0