• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why isn't anyone buying this game???

The world will change once it hits Walmart. I am assuming that you have t pay for primo shelf space at the big box stores and so being a newcomer that is why you are on the bottom ankle shelf. At least that is all I have seen. For those that want to help, which I think is all of you or you wouldnt be reading these forums, when you go into Best Buy or Circuit City grab two handfuls and put them at eyelevel over BF2 and COD2. Make it easier for people to "stumble" accross this game. I also agree that you should have asked for at least $40 for the game. I think like some have said Price is perceived quality. $40 is still nothing for games these days but up the price so you clearly discern from Marine Sharpshooter. Keep up the good work TW.

Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
I also agree that you should have asked for at least $40 for the game. I think like some have said Price is perceived quality. $40 is still nothing for games these days but up the price so you clearly discern from Marine Sharpshooter. Keep up the good work TW.
I don't agree there. RO has been breaking a lot of trends, why not break some more? Most games these days are a bloody rip off.

Upvote 0
myzko said:
Yes, and we could get A WHOLE LOT MORE OF THIS CERTAIN BREED OF PLAYERS, the advertising NEEDS TO START! I have not seen a single pop up or a advert on a site about Roost! :(
That probably wouldn't attract many people anyway. Especially not the popup! Once word of mouth gets rolling it's the best advertising there is, give it time, and preferably a demo :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I also keep No Bot on my filter. This cuts down the number of servers but I still find five or so every time. Who cares if there is only five when you are only going to play in ONE server at a time?

But as to people buying the game, many people simply have no interest in a game that is only the Russian front. They want the U.S. G.I.s with their Thompson and M-1. They want their British Commandos with their Stens and Brens. I don't blame them. The Russian Front was the most impossible-to-romanticize war in history, consisting of two despots sending a generation of their countrymen to slaughter in the name of greed, bigotry and barbaric savagery - bleak, dreary, horrific. In a word: depressing.

I had no intention of ever playing the game. But my roommate read an article on it praising its realism. So I got UT2000 for him for his birthday. I have not played another game from the first day I played RO. But I can understand why people are slow to come to a game. It has a very low glamour factor, to most people in the English speaking world anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger
I hate to rain on your parade here, but everyone in this thread is actually assuming that noone is buying the game (for some strange reason)

"How many poeple are buying this game?" :)
First, I for one know, despite the fact that you guys have given us no actual sales figures, that you met your selling goal, if not surpassed it, with just preorders, everything after is icing on the cake. The main question is why aren't you devs putting money back into RO (after paying yourselves of course ;))? Also, adverstising not only attracts players, but also servers (which in turn attract more players, its a great cycle :D). If not ads, official servers for each continent would tremendously helpful.
FuzzDad
As to you guys slamming Steam as anything but 100% right for Tripwire. Without Steam there is no RO:O...that's not an unecessary evil...that's a blessing. 7.5 million user accounts are on Steam, because of Steam Tripwire made a profit, MILLIONS of people use Steam every day w/o trouble (I have NEVER had a blue screen or hard crash due to Steam), and look at the numbers of content servers now...most of you guys complaining about Steam have little or no perspective of how much you OWE Steam right now. Nobody is saying it's perfect but it works for a vast majority of people and whether you have a credit card or not is immaterial because a VAST number of gamers do have access to them and for a company like Tripwire the dollars flowing to them are INSTANTAENOUS and probably at a much higher percentage of return than the retail brick-and-mortars release.
Steam is both a blessing and a curse, while it is cheaper for independent developers like TW to get in on and has all these neat little bells and whistles, its bugs (yes bugs... just because you've had no problem with doesn't mean it has no problems) and extra system resource use make people hate it some times. Its just one of those ideas that has great potential, but is held back by its current implementation. Until some major and totally altering patches for it are released, people (including myself) will continue to dislike steam and always remember the hassle it causes but deal with it because without steam, RO would not be here as we now know it.
Nyu
one reason why. ro is not for everyone. the ro player is a special breed of fps gamer.
Really good games break that trend. I for one never liked RPG's (especially not turn based ones) 5 minutes of Knights of the Old Republic on Xbox and I was hooked.

Upvote 0
DieFledermaus
I also keep No Bot on my filter. This cuts down the number of servers but I still find five or so every time. Who cares if there is only five when you are only going to play in ONE server at a time?
Because what if you don't like any of those servers because of their rules? Or because of the regulars on it or maybe they're all pinging to high for your tastes. Some additions/changes should be made with the ingame server filter, its almost exactly the same as UT2k4's, which is not very good to begin with.
MrBunsy
Once word of mouth gets rolling it's the best advertising there is, give it time, and preferably a demo :rolleyes:
Agree. Once the patch is out I reckon the demo will be out on the same day or shortly thereafter.

Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
I think like some have said Price is perceived quality. $40 is still nothing for games these days but up the price so you clearly discern from Marine Sharpshooter. Keep up the good work TW.

I have to agree here, the first time I even heard about this game was in Bestbuy. It was sitting next to FEAR, which I had come to purchase, and while the game looked pretty decent from what I could tell from the box, the price was definitly a turn off. Funny you mention it, but "uh oh another marine sharpshooter" was exactly what I thought of when I saw the price tag. Also, if I recall correctly there were no positive reviews on the back of the box, which is also a no no, at least for me.

Probably a little late, but yeah $40 would have been a good price.

Upvote 0
scuba22
Also, if I recall correctly there were no positive reviews on the back of the box, which is also a no no, at least for me.
lol there are only positive reviews on game and movie boxes, so either they were on there or they weren't. Also, you actually believe you should rely on said reviews that are on the box? They usually pick some paid off magazine like Maxim (which shouldn't even be review games in the first place) or some other mag/website which should not be bothering itself with game reviews.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
lol there are only positive reviews on game and movie boxes, so either they were on there or they weren't. Also, you actually believe you should rely on said reviews that are on the box? They usually pick some paid off magazine like Maxim (which shouldn't even be review games in the first place) or some other mag/website which should not be bothering itself with game reviews.

Perhaps you are missing the entire point. Yes, I am aware that only positive reviews are shown, but if there are NO positive reviews to display, there will be nothing on the back of the box. Look at the back of HL2, FEAR, COD, COCG, anything that gets decent reviews from credible sources will display it on their cases, with pride. Combining no reviews with a cheap price, and you give the appearance of what is likely a budget crap title.

I dont rely on backs of boxes for purchasing descisions as I usually read different reviews from different sources so I dont waste money, but a giant red 95% PC Gamer stamp of approval on the back of the box really doesnt hurt does it?

Upvote 0
BuddyLee
There is no reason TW could not make a Cinematic Compelling Patriotic Fight to Save Mankind... yada yada yada...with sad compelling Music and junk :eek: "Saving Private Ivan" Commercial to Spark some interest from a broader range of gamers. :D
There is a 90% chance we will never see RO in a T.V. commercial. Its crazy expensive :eek:(quoting a dev here). Btw, "Saving Private Ivan" lol nice one :D.

scuba22
...I usually read different reviews from different sources so I dont waste money, but a giant red 95% PC Gamer stamp of approval on the back of the box really doesnt hurt does it?
Yet again my brain jumps to conlusions that my body believes and acts on without hesitation :eek:. And no a high approval rating wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't the publisher have to have a deal with the magazine or website that said it? I have no idea about this sort of thing so if anybody "in the know" could help out (doesn't exactly have to be a dev) that would be great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DieFledermaus said:
The Russian Front was the most impossible-to-romanticize war in history, consisting of two despots sending a generation of their countrymen to slaughter in the name of greed, bigotry and barbaric savagery - bleak, dreary, horrific.

Russians fought and died in WW2 in the name of greed, bigotry, an barbaric savagery?

While you are here, could you please enlighten me on another subject - are you an idiot?

Upvote 0
Droog
Russians fought and died in WW2 in the name of greed, bigotry, an barbaric savagery?
While they didn't do it in the name of it but they did do it.
Greed: both Germany and the Soviet Union tried to annex land from other countries during WWII.

Bigotry: The Nazi's believed they were the superior race, I highly doubt the Communist Russians didn't think the same thing of themselves.

Barbaric Savagery: Both sides took huge losses, civilian and military, on this front. The battle of Stalingrad was the worst time in the world to be a Russian soldier, either attack entrenched german positions, with or without a weapon, or be shot on the spot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0