• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design DO NOT mess WITH TERRAIN!!!!

dktekno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
Official warning:

Terrain tool does not work. After messing around with the terrain, I saved my map.

Then I went back later, started the editor and loaded the map. Then I got the message "the following resources was not found" or something, and that was the terrain. It didnt save the terrain.

So I went to make a new terrain, and then I got a general protection fault.

It totally ****ed up my map.

****ed up unrealed. Those who made that editor deserves to be shot for making such a huge bug.

dktekno said:
Official warning:

Terrain tool does not work. After messing around with the terrain, I saved my map.

Then I went back later, started the editor and loaded the map. Then I got the message "the following resources was not found" or something, and that was the terrain. It didnt save the terrain.

****ed up unrealed. Those who made that editor deserves to be shot for making such a huge bug.

It was your mistake i am sure. I just made a map with layers and layers of terrain. Nothing bad happened. Did you use your own terrain texture? If yes maybe the ed is screwed up.

Upvote 0
It was your mistake i am sure. I just made a map with layers and layers of terrain. Nothing bad happened. Did you use your own terrain texture? If yes maybe the ed is screwed up.
Now, close unrealed, and open it again, then load your map

Then you get an error. It says it cant find your hard worked terrain.

Now you go work on a new terrain. Watch what happens.

Upvote 0
dktekno said:
Now, close unrealed, and open it again, then load your map

Then you get an error. It says it cant find your hard worked terrain.

Now you go work on a new terrain. Watch what happens.
I'm sure we're going to get a lot of these. :roll:

Guys, watch every single detail when following a tutorial. If you're new to mapping, don't automatically go blaming the editor for problems that are likely due to your own inexperience. Especially when you get GPF's, which many times are caused by the user asking the editor to do something it simply can't do.

dtekno: chill out. Did you save the terrain layer in the myLevel package?

Upvote 0
Stop with the quintuple post, wow.

I think you need to refer to some of the general UEd tutorials on terrain. It is a tricky process at first because if you don't do things exactly as you should, you will have problems. UEd is very sensitive, and thus very unforgiving.

From the problems that you are having, my guess is that you are either having problems with your packages or with the terrain size, so here are two helpers:

Packages:
When you place your terrain info, you have the three text boxes that pop up, a package, a subgroup and a name. What you are doing is creating a texture heightmap that the terrain will be based off of. The package normally must be saved, so you probably called it something and didn't save as you closed. What you should do is call your package "myLevel" without the quotes and it will be automatically saved as part of your level, so you dont need to worry about saving multiple packages when you close the editor.

Terrain Size:
When you make the terrain, you are making a texture, SO THE TERRAIN SIZE MUST BE IN FACTORS OF TWO. Acceptable sizes are 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, etc. 256x256 is standard and I would suggested it. If you don't do this you will have crashes and the like.

So look out for those things, and please, check out the tutorials for general UEd stuff that people have posted, they are essential for learning the basics. When you start, it is extremely frustrating, so understand that fact, and work from there. Good luck.

Upvote 0
dktekno said:
Official warning:

:(:(:(
I think mister grumpy needs to:
1. edit his first post to a more respectful one...
2. copy the text from the five or so posts in a row, and paste them into one...
3. not jump to conclusions so fast and be a bit more aware of the hard work that the Staff has put into this Editor so YOU are able to even use it...This error is most likely an error on the users part. i have been editing a level that has alot of terrain verriations...and i have done just fine...

Upvote 0
To be fair, I had a similar problem. I opened a map I was playing with to find the terrain no where to be found. I rebuilt the map and also went through the terrain info properties but everything fine. I didn't get a resource not found message though.

I closed ROed, reopened it and reopened the map and the terrain was back. I don't know why it didn't show up the first time.

BTW, can someone tell me how to close the terrain editor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I can certainly feel the pain.

Why is it that I edit my terrain, decide to go to bed, save the file, compile, and load just to test the last edits...everything is fine. I close out.

Next day I open the editor and my file and no terrain is visable. The actor is there. The settings are the same. But no visable terrain, regardless of compiling etc. If I load the map in-game, the terrain is there. Close out the game and back to the editor...nothing. WTF is that?

Granted I am learning this editor from the ground up, but it certainly is no Radiant. In time I'd hope to become proficient at it but this sort of thing is just annoying to the point of 'why bother'. ANY ideas welcome.

Upvote 0