• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Continuation War

Reaperman said:
I think this should be the next major additon to the mod, this or the Hungarian Front... (more forgotten then the finnish front i think)

Russia Vs Finland = fun gameplay

What the hell are you smoking? Sorry to break it to you but Romania WILL be the next major addition to RO. Why you ask?

1. Romania fielded a contingent of troops TWICE as larger than Finland or any other participant save of course Russia and Germany.
2. These troops were engaged in combat ALL THE TIME while the other minors including the Finns stepped out of the war for a while. For example, the Hungarians and Italians left the front in spring of 1943 and the Finns stopped major fighting from the moment they reached the pre-war boundaries (August 1941) until the opening of the Soviet offensive in the Karelian isthmus in June 1944. That's 3 years!!! Anyway, I'm counting on RO's history adviser to make the wise choice.

Another thing I don't understand is why do you have to make ten thousand threads about the same subject in the space of a few days?? Use the search button. There's a reason why it's there.

Upvote 0
If your going to include the Finns, Bulgarians, Romanians and Hungarians why not include the 2nd Polish Army alongside the Soviets. The Polish Army fighting in the East was the greatest regular military force fighting at the side of the Red Army. Its combat route lasted for almost two years, adding up to 1000 kilometers. It participated in different and important activities: forcing rivers, capturing cities, attacking fortifications, pursuing enemy troops. Its share in victory was paid dearly.

Upvote 0
Get real, SMERtSHpionam! Your tone seems a bit insulting. It does seem obvious there is quite a bit on interest on this subject! While I am certainly relieved at your proclamation that a Rumanian expansion will be next, and I do agree with your citing of the historical record in regards to the Rumanian contribution to Eastern Front history, and I, too, also look forward to a Rumanian expansion, it still does not change the fact that there was also this interesting little war "over there" as well. As for the creation of this thread, I did not choose to use the search function because I simply wanted the forum's response to my question, not someone else's. I do apologize for the duress this seems to have caused, for I had no idea that my first post to this forum ever could have brought into question my choice of smoking materials. I had thought the purpose of the forum was the open exchange of ideas and not a platform for flaming others who think a bit differently, but in the interest of openess, I suppose even the grognards must have their day.

I would like to thank everyone for the wonderful response and for the great photographs and history! Keep it coming, please! Hope to see you all online sometime soon!

Upvote 0
myzko said:
They fought in the same battles as the Germans, for example in Arad etc, and Finnish SS division was in Kauskaus, but becouse of that they arent there?? plx!

Dude, the Romans, Bulgarians, and Croatia fought basicly the same battles as the germans on the east front, the Finns had their OWN front :D

myzko said:
They fought in the same battles as the Germans, for example in Arad etc, and Finnish SS division was in Kauskaus, but becouse of that they arent there?? plx!

Dude, the Romans, Bulgarians, and Croatia fought basicly the same battles as the germans on the east front, the Finns had their OWN front :D

Dude, are you for real?

Several things:

1. the Roman Empire is OVER, get over it!
2. There is no such thing as a Finnish SS division OR a place called "Kauskaus"

though there is something called the Caucasus and is a land situated between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, comprising of countries like Georgia, Armenia and other former SSR. In regard to your so-called Finnish SS division, it did not exist. You just imagined it! But the 5.SS-Pz.Div. "Wiking" did have about 1,000 Finns in it, as well as Romanians. So what's your ****ing point? Speaking of foreign volunteers, I have strong reasons to believe most of them were Volksdeutsche from Romania. Take for example the 7.SS-Freiw.Geb.Div. "Prinz Eugen" whose members were for most part Romanian volksdeustche. Heck, even its commander was a former Romanian general, Arthur Phelps. So again what's your ****ing point?

Finland had its own front? Whoopee doo weeee! And just what did the Finns do between late 1941 to mid 1944 apart sitting in trenches and occasionally exchanging fire with Soviet troops?

And to be honest the Romanian Army was far more independent than the other "minors". Take for example the campaign of Odessa. Name an operation conducted on the same scale by another minor with little or no German interference.

Going back to the Caucasus... German and Romanian troops have fought there longer than any of your SS Nordic Viking Wotan super ****. Heck, Romanian mountain hunters captured the most distant point in Caucasus and also the farthest advance point in Russia which was the town of Nalchik. So again, what's your ****ing point?

post-5-1108498010.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Romania and Finland modded and honestly I don't care which is first. But when someone regurgitates the same bull **** over and over again it pisses me off.

edit:

Uhh... and what would be so dramatically different in the North? Are you saying the winters at Stalingrad were nowhere as cold and snow-heavy? or that pine trees do not grow in Southern Russia? Please tell me because I don't have a clue.

"They fought in the same battles as the Germans, for example in Arad"

Maybe, but not at squad level which is represented in RO. And like I mentioned above (see Odessa), the Romanian Army conducted operations on large scale without German troops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
look. the main issue here is what comes next after the russians and germans? some of you wrote finns because snow falls and pine trees grow in finland. seriously, that's what I got out of these posts. and the worst part is that some people actually agreed on this. normally you'd think that the criteria used to pick a new nation is importance. you know, like it's been done with day of defeat. ask yourself why the british came after the germans and americans, and not canadians instead. it just seems odd to discard historical representation for pine trees, snow, lakes and winter cold. it's not like you can't find this anywhere else in russia. i would add that finland is nowhere as flexible as other minors because it covered little ground. most fights happened near the borders with russia. on the other side romanians, hungarians, slovaks, etc. travelled in russia as deep as the wastelands of the caucasus. as they advanced and retreated the battle locations changed a lot from steppes to dense forests to marshes , mountains and even deserts!

camile2.jpg

romanian soldiers riding camels in the deserts of the caucasus

festcrim1.JPG

or fighting on the frozen steppes

zb53-iaila.jpg

mountain

bess-moto.jpg

tall grass

van2.JPG

heavy snow

and I can go on and on...

so you see, as far as terrain types finland will certainly bring less. in the weapons department finland did not produce its own tanks and used captured ones and same goes with most of the small arms too (mosin nagant, maxim mg, dp lmg, etc.). here, so again, nothing new... personally I don't see any advantage... do you?

yeah rlly

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SMERtSHpionam said:
in the weapons department finland did not produce its own tanks and used captured ones and same goes with most of the small arms too (mosin nagant, maxim mg, dp lmg, etc.). here, so again, nothing new... personally I don't see any advantage... do you?

yeah rlly

Well...

Attacking against tanks only with molotov cocktails and throwable sachelcharges might be exotic :)
Only Handweapons that would already exist in the game would be Tokarev rifle (well, this SVT-38 doesn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SMERtSHpionam said:
Dude, are you for real?

Several things:

1. the Roman Empire is OVER, get over it!
2. There is no such thing as a Finnish SS division OR a place called "Kauskaus"

though there is something called the Caucasus and is a land situated between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, comprising of countries like Georgia, Armenia and other former SSR. In regard to your so-called Finnish SS division, it did not exist. You just imagined it! But the 5.SS-Pz.Div. "Wiking" did have about 1,000 Finns in it, as well as Romanians. So what's your ****ing point? Speaking of foreign volunteers, I have strong reasons to believe most of them were Volksdeutsche from Romania. Take for example the 7.SS-Freiw.Geb.Div. "Prinz Eugen" whose members were for most part Romanian volksdeustche. Heck, even its commander was a former Romanian general, Arthur Phelps. So again what's your ****ing point?

Finland had its own front? Whoopee doo weeee! And just what did the Finns do between late 1941 to mid 1944 apart sitting in trenches and occasionally exchanging fire with Soviet troops?

And to be honest the Romanian Army was far more independent than the other "minors". Take for example the campaign of Odessa. Name an operation conducted on the same scale by another minor with little or no German interference.

Going back to the Caucasus... German and Romanian troops have fought there longer than any of your SS Nordic Viking Wotan super ****. Heck, Romanian mountain hunters captured the most distant point in Caucasus and also the farthest advance point in Russia which was the town of Nalchik. So again, what's your ****ing point?

post-5-1108498010.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Romania and Finland modded and honestly I don't care which is first. But when someone regurgitates the same bull **** over and over again it pisses me off.

edit:

Uhh... and what would be so dramatically different in the North? Are you saying the winters at Stalingrad were nowhere as cold and snow-heavy? or that pine trees do not grow in Southern Russia? Please tell me because I don't have a clue.

"They fought in the same battles as the Germans, for example in Arad"

Maybe, but not at squad level which is represented in RO. And like I mentioned above (see Odessa), the Romanian Army conducted operations on large scale without German troops.

There was a Finnish SS Divisions, battalions or w/e and they fought on the eastern front, in the kasukaaeuascacasus mountains etc.
But apart from many German SS divisions they dident do any war crimes!
The battalion was praised by many Waffen-SS commanders and even Himmler, who said "Where a Finnish SS-man stood, enemy was always defeated."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem with Winter War in game would be that Finns would be steamrolled by Russians in game every time simply because there is no way you can represent the lack of training, bad tactics, unsuitable equipment of Russians.

The Winter War was 'won' by Finns for other than superior weaponry reasons but how would you represent that in game? You can't remove players' skill nor experience in any sensible way, or force them to use inferior tactics on either side.

That's one reason why Winter War has never really been made to a game. The real reasons for Finland's success are something that can't possibly be represented in a computer game. Game would pretty much always be either Russians walk all over Finland in 2 weeks or Finns would do same to Russia.

Upvote 0
I don't ever recall reading about the Battle of Fort Ebay :(

Seriously though, I think Strother is more on the money with this one. Let the devs focus on Russia, Germany, and the gameplay mechanics, and the modders can do the rest :)

It would be cool as poops to see the game get to the point where they can do little 'campain' expansion packs or something, though :D

Upvote 0