• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Community Brainstorm: Death

adding an average kills/death ratio score system or top kills without dying in the round could strive people to kill without dying=keeping out of danger.
wounded soldiers could shake their guns like in a shiver and breathe heavily for 40 secs or so because of the shock and fear. would affect riflemen. the IS would be much more unstable.
likewise if the above system is implemented the player that stays alive for a certain amount of time gets promoted to "experienced" level and become immunte to these effects because doesnt easily get frightened any longer.

Upvote 0
a player that reaches lets say 10-0 kill/death ratio gets "recognised" by the commander for his achievements and is allowed to pick a different weapon at the resupply and becomes eligible for a medical "patch-up" which heals lets say 25% of his health (bandaged to stop the bleeding and painkillers, i dunno if they were around back then, just an idea)
mind you i dont know how the resupply works in the game cuz i dont have it :p

Upvote 0
i dont know how the squad system works in this game but i know that a squad leader captures cap points 1.5X faster. so if the squad leader captures more than 1 point without dying the whole squad gets +1 or +2 points. this could ensure greedy players protect their squad leader and work as a team. (gonna be a lot of swearing at the squad leaders though in the game if they die. but this way there could be some fantastic players emerging from this)
lonewolves would get nothing, nada, zilch, 0 for the same achievement.

Upvote 0
i think there has to be some way of "withdrawing" wounded soldiers from the battle because thats what they would do in some instances in the war(mind you mostly after battle but oh well) so if a player becomes "experienced" after a good kill/death ratio he could become a "veteran" after being 1.surviving a few minutes after being considered "experienced" 2.wounded. this would give him a choice of 1.chose ANY weapon of his choice+get 25% health or 2. withdraw from battle and respawn completely "fresh" as the same class without using up any reinforcement points

i realise now that this will not work at all in keeping people away from death.LOL! but to some extent will increase professionalism and reward those who DO attempt to survive

Upvote 0
How about something easy like the longer you stay alive the faster you respawn when you die. If you get killed right away, not TKed, you wait something like 40 seconds or longer to respawn, if you stay alive for 10 minutes you respawn immediately. Of course I just threw in different time frames but that could be adjusted server side.

Upvote 0
ok this idea would need to change the entire reinforcement system
let's say for example (im using bf2 here) theres 200 reinforcements per team. idea:
drop reinforcements to 100(or so) and for every minute (or so) of surviving a soldier increases the entire reinforcement pool by +1. so assuming half of the team tries to use this approach every minute half the team will die, the other half will increase the reinforcement pool. so the reinforcement pool will stay on the same level(im assuming a good 16v16 match here). naturally this is theoretical so most of the team will die every minute or so, so the reinforcement pool will drop like normally except this time its a lot tighter and people need to be more aware of surviving because instead of just losing -1 reinforcement pool by dying they WONT receive +1 point of pool for surviving. this equals -2 points instead of the normal 1.
i know this sounds like u could just put -2 points to reinforcement to a person dying but now the people that survive can keep their teammates "death tactics" half afloat by +1 surving vs -2 deaths=0 reinforcement pool change
so if 1 team follows this -1 approach they will receive (assuming 16 players and 7 people surviving every minute) -9 dead reinforcements+7 survival points. so the reinforcement pool will drop by -2 every minute. whereas the team that doesnt follow this approach gets -16 points every minute.
on the other hand if we just make -2 points per player death we get -18 points for the 1st team(9dead) and -32 for the other team(16 dead) where the whole team dies.
so you can see how survival points magnify the reason to stay alive. -2 point system has no effect on survival point of 1 team because its a fair 50/50, first team to eliminate the other wins.whereas the +1survival point magnifies the effect on reinforcements advantage so the first team to SURVIVE WHILE ELIMINATING THE OTHER wins. long enough ill stop here.

Upvote 0
referring to the post above^
i'll try explain more thoroughly. if in a +1 survival system you die. the reinforcement pool will drop by -1 and become 99. if you survive the pool will increase +1 so will become 101.
so survivors will increase their pool which can turn into a "increase your reinforcements pool" race. this will in theory make people stay alive=stop death =achieve this post's objective.
theres a risk of making people be "afraid" of dying and just sitting there in the spawn "farming" points for the team or turn into "kill them before they get survival points" types of matches.
so maybe only people with say 3-4 kills without dying can start generating reinforcement points every minute or so to a max of maybe 3-5 reinforcement points. so lets say only 2-3 people are able to achieve this during the game per team. this way survivors and active, able players can help their team a great deal cuz +3 reinforcement points from 3 people that survive for the 5 minutes can have +15 reinforcement points every 7 or so minutes whilst at the same time having to kill the enemy BEFORE they are able to do this and during the same time.
this will eliminate gun and lucky spraying tactics as it will 1.force a person to kill 2.stay alive. thus it has great potential at least to me.

Upvote 0
A reinforcement system.
The team or a commander leader type person have a certain amount of calls they can use in a certain given time (it refreshes every so often, maybe every 2-5 minutes?) The call is for reinforcements and can only be used when a certain amount of players have died (let's say about five). When the call is made, a countdown begins. Then the new batch of reinforcements arrive in their appropriate transportation (parachute, truck, etc.). It makes respawn less of a minor wait when someone dies, and it implements a semi realistic reinforcement aspect.

Upvote 0
How about 30 second respawn time, every time. Until you respawn, the screen is black. If the computer calculates you are just combat ineffective (cannot take part in battle - counts as dead in game) you can still see but depending how severe the wound is, you might be able to move a bit or maybe your basically paralised and can only look up to the sky. Sound effects of you screaming/throwing up and calling for you mum play until you're dead. You can be put out of your misery by being shot etc.

Actually how about 30 secs is the base respawn time and if your just lying there screaming it would be more so there would be an advantage to killing them. This is particular though may be unrealistic because a medic would try to help them.

Maybe more than 30 secs as normal respawn.

Upvote 0
I think the simple and effective way is to make respawn times longer, and make overall map times longer. Give the teams more time to complete objectives with out the fear of always having to rush. If you made respawns 45secs-1 minute long, and I know taht kinda sucks i've played warsaw before, but at the same time it gives meaning to your death. If one team manages to take out half your team, they should be rewarded and not have to worry about another 8 people runnning immeidalty back to same position. It should give that winning team a little boost so they can move in secure, cap and take positions to defend the objective and wait for their reinforcements. I think this would make for more realistic firefights becuase you would almost always spawn with a big group of people and you will want to stay together more because more people mean more targets for the enemy to shoot at;)

Upvote 0
Put in a K/D ratio system. Those with bad K/Ds would have longer respawn times and those with high K/Ds would have low respawn times.

Add in better death effects, and perhaps some horrid vision of hell after the screen fades to black. You know, something that will scar you for the rest of your life, and that you never want to witness again. Perhaps a collage of horrible internet pictures I have come across. ;)

Upvote 0
Graphic effects etc. will be nice eye-candy, but won't really affect the behaviour of people. Supression blur for example: It looks great, its makes supressive fire more usefull and hard to shoot back... but still - if I think the situations allows me to try - I pin off a MG with my bolt-action while being under direct fire. So its not really fear of death, more like another thing to "manage" while fighting.

I played Counter Strike quite a lot in my "former gaming career", and while it is pretty arcady run'n'gunning, there are situations where you are actually afraid of your life and/or pretty paniced. Why? Because you actually lose something when you die! In CS's case its your weapon (and therefor money), in RO's case its... nothing! Every life starts and ends at the same "level". There is nothing to achieve for yourself except score and the won match - which is the team-aspect of rewarding for something done well.

So I come to the conclusion, that you need to be able to achieve something with a good score(not just kill!)/death ratio, like a rank. Every soldier starts out at the beginning of a map as a lower recruit, possibly with a fewer weapon-choice than a high-ranked player, comparable to a veteran soldier or a commander (like current officers).

Of course you could change the whole weapon-system and make it completly rank based, but that wouldn't let newbies get hand on all the weapons once in a while.
So why not make it this way:
You choose your class at the beginning:
SMG / Bolt-Action / Anti-Tank / Tank / Sniper / MG
The restrictions in numbers would be the same, to remain balance.

But the loadout depends on the rank! So a recruit Bolt-action soldier would have the rifle, a few clips and thats it! As he climbs ranks he gains access to a better loadout: Soon one or two grenades are avaible, possibly a secondary weapon (pistol/satchel possibly) maybe later binoculars and voice commands, as he reaches the commander status. [By the way, this would also control the amounts of grenades. Two per every soldier isn't that realistic, is it? Anyway, nade spamming isn't any more of a problem in the retail imho]
Like that it would be much more like choosing your "role" and not a actually position, since commanders are not for the one with the fastest connection.
If you change your class (like changing from Rifle to Sniper once the slot is free) you keep your rank, so a middle-ranked soldier would have access to the rifle, a pistol (which a low-rank soldier wouldn't have) as he switches over from a medium-ranked Rifleman and later on he might get hands on a grenade and the officer-status.

Rank-"Levelups" would only occur when respawning, so no magical appeared nade in your pocket when "leveling" up in the middle of a fight. If you perform bad and your ratio becomes worse, you might not be able to respawn with the current rank, but maybe lose access to the pistol as a sniper (for example) in your next life.

I got this idea, as I played Ogledow tonight: I started out as an axie-tank-crew and in my "life" I got a mosin-nagant, two fausts, two nades and still had the ability to drive a tank (I was mainly playing sneaky-pak-soldat-style at that time). I really feared my death, because it wasn't easy to achieve all those weapons and it was really usefull, since I could adapt to many situations with such a loadout.

This system would surely get fear of death working much better and would also encourage people for more teamplay and objective-focused playing, since Objectives raise their own ratio and maybe the score-system could also be reworked some day that you get more points for kills/objectives etc. when there are teammates nearby.

In short:
To make the player fear death, he has to lose something upon death! If the player has something to achieve over as few as possible lifes he'll worthship his survival much more: Reward an effective player with a better weapon loadout, based on this score/death ratio and his initially chosen role. Combine this with historical correct ranks, that would be awesome!

Upvote 0
Reznor said:
One more thing, about this brainstorming:
Great idea, I love it! But we should do have discussion somewhen/-where. Maybe you could open another thread, for discussions about ideas meantioned here (to keep it clean).
Sure, I can start one, but I want to give this a few more days for new guys to post ideas since it just got back up here.

So post away and get your ideas in so that we can discuss them :).

I want to keep this thread clean so that it will be easy for the devs to access if they so choose.

EDIT: I will also take the time to go though and catalog this thread for easy access in the first post of the new topic.

Upvote 0