• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst World War II (Themed) Movie Ever....

@Murphy, I also pimp Attack when i get the opportunity.

Great actors,Lee Marvin,Eddie Albert,Jack Palance and the old dude from the Beverly Hillbillies

Its a really well written and acted movie-with some nice dramatic moments.

As for worst -not even seen Windtalkers so i guess i shouldn't now-lifes too short.

Battle of the Bilge is terrible.

All the Steven Ambrose inspired stuff is well made-but is only worth watching for the kit and sets,

During SPR i was thinking these ****ers are gonna find the yellow brick road and start singing soon.

Books and the IWM photo archive F.T.W.

Upvote 0
:mad: Saving Private Ryan sucks as a movie because it is an over romanticised, overglorified fiction. None of what happened was real. It is mearly an American propaganda film that makes the American force seem invincible and overpowering. My question is where are the Germans? Its occupied Europe for Christ's sake. You see then on the beach and then some towards the end but other than that the entrie movie is about some obscure search for some idiot named Ryan. It was the most disappointing film I ever saw. As for Band of Brothers it was an excessively long talky movie with marginal fighting in between. Pearl Harbor is about some love story that no one cares about and the Japanese bombardment was short lived and towards the very end of the movie. No World War 2 film shows any realism because it would cause contraversey and it would make the German side seem human unlike what we are led to believe by any current WW2 film. It would also portray the Allies as lacking in basic tactics because of many friendly fire incidents, inability to use basic cover maneuvers, (making them easy targets for enemy snipers) inability to keep up with tanks and provide covering fire against panzerfausts, and their botched aerial paratrooper operations. Bottom line their total lack of preparation.

Upvote 0
Whitesnake said:
Yeah I watched that movie, in the begining they said it was based on Medal of Honour game right !?

I'm not aware of that though, but basicly it has a great story..

Are you guys ready for bob2 that will be based upon the japanese theatre?
and theres another jap movie coming out, 'flag of our fathers' that will be based on the true story of the men who raised the flag on iwo jima..

can't wait 4 those!

Upvote 0
What are people smoking!?! The best War films do not have to be %100 accurate in every detail. The title of the thread was Worst Film, not most innacurate film.

Who hear watched Saving Private Ryan and said, boy this sucks. I dont think anybody did. It is a damn accurate representation of the Second World War. The story line of SPR doesnt have to be that accurate to make it a good film.

A good film is something that you engage with and enjoy watching.

The only bad world war 2 films I have seen were on T.V and I cant remember their names.

As for the best:

Kelly's Heroes
Saving Private Ryan
Enemy At The Gates
Force 10 from Navarone
Guns of Navarone
Tora, Tora!
Battle Of Britian
Band Of Brothers (not a film but still good)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Bolt said:
Have you ever heard about "Go and see" movie? It's about russian partisan, too bad, i haven't seen it. They only showed it once on TV, because of the "realism" - i heard, it is really heavy for those who want to just relax while wathing a good-old ww2 movie.
Is it really that gory and violant?

Well, not really gory and violant...just...scary... A bit surrealistic, while very realistic at the same time. Hard to describe, just watch it.
One of the very few movies, i really had to cry at the end... maybe one of the best movies ever depicting war in a psychological way.

"Idi i Smotri" (Come and See), 1985 by Elem Klimov

If you're interested in russian made ww2 movies, here are some i can also highly recommend:

Voskhozhdeniye (The Ascent), 1976, Larissa Sheptiko
Ivanovo Detstvo (Ivan's childhood), 1962, Andrei Tarkovsky

If u guys know others, let me know!

As for "the best" ww2 movie...difficult to say, my all-time-favorites are definately

Stalingrad
Das Boot
Idi i Smotri
the first 30 mins of SPR :D

As for the worst:

Definately Pearl Harbour (if it could be described as a ww2 movie at all...)
All this pro-war John Wayne junk from the early 40ies-50ies....arrrgh
U-571, agreed

Regarding EATG, well it is dealing with prejudices a bit too much, agreed. I liked it anyways, somehow...at least its a great ode to the Mosin-Nagant :D.

Btw, dont forget this thread in the old forums, has a huge list of movies allready :).

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
maconha said:
The Thin Red Line. That's a good movie with good actors, no bull**** Spielberg scripts...

you have to be freaking kidding me if you mean the recent version of that movie. for one thing, it doesnt cover the marines(who were the real show of guadalcanal), the action scenes are lackluster, its a freaking art film practically, and alot of the characters are just breif cameos. that movie sucked.

Upvote 0
ROMMEL34 said:
:mad: Saving Private Ryan sucks as a movie because it is an over romanticised, overglorified fiction. None of what happened was real. It is mearly an American propaganda film that makes the American force seem invincible and overpowering. My question is where are the Germans? Its occupied Europe for Christ's sake. You see then on the beach and then some towards the end but other than that the entrie movie is about some obscure search for some idiot named Ryan. It was the most disappointing film I ever saw. As for Band of Brothers it was an excessively long talky movie with marginal fighting in between. Pearl Harbor is about some love story that no one cares about and the Japanese bombardment was short lived and towards the very end of the movie. No World War 2 film shows any realism because it would cause contraversey and it would make the German side seem human unlike what we are led to believe by any current WW2 film. It would also portray the Allies as lacking in basic tactics because of many friendly fire incidents, inability to use basic cover maneuvers, (making them easy targets for enemy snipers) inability to keep up with tanks and provide covering fire against panzerfausts, and their botched aerial paratrooper operations. Bottom line their total lack of preparation.
would you prefer they make a german propoganda movie?

Upvote 0
Bolt said:
Have you ever heard about "Go and see" movie? It's about russian partisan, too bad, i haven't seen it. They only showed it once on TV, because of the "realism" - i heard, it is really heavy for those who want to just relax while wathing a good-old ww2 movie.
Is it really that gory and violant?

The name of the movie is " Come and See ".

And it's not that violent... But cool nontheless.

Upvote 0