• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can tank drivers have binocs please?

IconoclastDX said:
Tank drivers could be a lot more effective if they had a pair of binocs to actually SEE the enemy with. Also, you sould be able to fire your sidearm from the open driver's hatch. Including these two features would make team tanking more appealing.

Technically, the driver's just listened to the commander. If he said go, they put their foot on the gas and went. They didnt search for the enemy, that again was the commander's job.

And shooting a sidearm from a the driver's hatch? Why?

Upvote 0
Porta_fin said:
There is no need for that. That is why the commander is able to raise his head from the tower and spot with his binoculars. It's his job, the driver is just supposed to drive the tank into the fight and rotate it properly according to the commander's orders.

Not true... it's also their job to scan for targets and report them to the commander. Additionally to this, the commander's job is to prioritize the targets, make the decision whether to engage or not, and to direct the gunner to the target representing the highest immediate threat.

Normally, for close to medium range, individual crew members have assigned a sector they are supposed to scan. For example, driver scans 9 to 12 o'clock, radio operator scans 12 to 3 o'clock, and loader 3 to 6... The commander may choose to overlap the crew's scanning cones.

For long range, it is the gunner's and the commander's job. Assigning different cones for the gunner and commander provides maximum coverage. Unfortunately, the commander has to do both jobs at the moment, which causes a significant decrease in the level of situational awareness, especially while buttoned.

Upvote 0
lol this thread is rich.

A driver won't ever use binoculars, the gunner and commander would be much more likely to use them. And the gunner doesn't need to be able to fire out the hatch because you can only see certain angles anyway and the hull mger is much much much more useful in that situation. If you are a driver and need to shoot some random guy in front of you switch to the hull mg its not hard.

If you REALLY want to spot tanks as a driver get out and scan around.

Upvote 0
I think that the commander should be able to shoot his sidearm. If I saw someone running up at me with an explosive Id try and shoot him. Maybe even fire a submachine gun. We know that crew members all carried side arms and that germans had 1 MP40 per tank. I also heard of an account where a commander over in Iraq was firing a pistol out of an Abrams. Im sure that it was at least totally possible for commanders in WWII to do the same. Even if i didnt happen often, they at least had the option. If it didnt happen much then it probably wont happen much in RO either considering youd be so exposed when you did it. But Id rather fire out of the hatch at an engineer than wait for the turrent to swing around to the back or have to jump out, even if it is an insta out.

Upvote 0
Well nite we have insta eject right now so it would be a waste of time to have to open the hatch and fire the pistol when you can spring out of the tank like the james bond ejection seat car and shoot the guy while he has the satchel in his hand.

O yeah some versions of the tiger had a mini mortar that could be loaded by the commander or gunner (can't remember) and could be fired above the tank a short ways and pepper the area with shrapnel.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
Technically, the driver's just listened to the commander. If he said go, they put their foot on the gas and went. They didnt search for the enemy, that again was the commander's job.

And shooting a sidearm from a the driver's hatch? Why?

Actually the tank commander should have the binoculars, they should of implemented that in the game, i was pressing 4 see if the binocualrs but nothing..

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
lol this thread is rich.

A driver won't ever use binoculars, the gunner and commander would be much more likely to use them. And the gunner doesn't need to be able to fire out the hatch because you can only see certain angles anyway and the hull mger is much much much more useful in that situation. If you are a driver and need to shoot some random guy in front of you switch to the hull mg its not hard.

If you REALLY want to spot tanks as a driver get out and scan around.
Or run him over

Upvote 0