• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm 2: State Of The Game September 2019

I think this is by far the most conflicting justification... Modding easily solves this. I think the mapping contests were great examples of why it can. I'm not asking for continued improvements / development for Skirmish. I'm asking for more freedom to mod.
And this is why game developers must never rely on modders. Its a good indicator of alive and well community, sure, but it creates such a backlash, which would rather destroy community, rather than make it engage together.

Upvote 0
The bottom line is we're likely to get a patch sometime this year, and that will be the final update to the game. I sincerely doubt Tripwire will do much if anything at all aside from fixing the serious server related issues. The freedom to mod still exists and always has. Nothing is holding anyone back from revitalizing skirmish, they just have to make a mutator for the game. I think what dumpling was trying to say is that the amount of players who play skirmish versus other gamemodes does not and will not warrant any of the non-existent development time left in this game's lifespan. There are far more important things to worry about getting fixed than skirmish. Even if the changes were simple weapon and equipment removal, despite that taking literally less than 20 lines of code to change. As much as I would love to see some sort of miracle in the next couple months where the game is fixed and made to the standards of the series, it won't be. For me I am at a loss as to what to fill the void of the RO series. It had a really nice balance of action and teamplay. Sandstorm is pretty good, in fact in someways it is better. But the team size is too small, and the map design is too cluttered. I think they hit the mark with RO2. Games like Squad, Post Scriptum, Hell Let Loose don't interest me because of the sheer amount of inactivity/boredom and total reliance on how a game plays out. If they ever make another game in the series, I sincerley hope they don't go this route, but this seems to be the new style of gameplay for the coming years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And this is why game developers must never rely on modders. Its a good indicator of alive and well community, sure, but it creates such a backlash, which would rather destroy community, rather than make it engage together.

Right, and I don't ever suggest they do, but considering they've officially decided to cut support for the game opening it up isn't all that bad of an idea. I figure we wouldn't even have Rising Storm if Tripwire had a different stance on modding with the previous titles.

The freedom to mod still exists and always has. Nothing is holding anyone back from revitalizing skirmish, they just have to make a mutator for the game.

Except that still requires people to download files when connecting to the server, and if I've learned anything over the years, 2014 was the last year before the average gamer became overwhelmingly intolerant and blessed the communities with an attention span no longer than 5 minutes.

With that being said I still can't find reason to justify the exclusion of something to help and not even necessarily directly fix Skirmish. Whats the point in releasing a final patch aimed at fixing things as an effort to retain a playerbase while excluding things that would only benefit that cause. I preferred Skirmish overwhelmingly to the larger modes, but because Skirmish was still active, during down times I would join larger modes. Now that Skirmish is gone I've just uninstalled the game entirely...

I'm in the same boat in that I cannot find something to fill the void I'm left with. The gamemode and its rules were so unbelievably appealing and nothing else in this money craved industry comes close. Games like Hell Let Loose, Squad, and Post Scriptum suffer from scope creep that simply overwhelmed their production efforts. With time I can see them being incredible games, but when I compare them to games prior like Battlefield 1942, the mod FH1942, BF2 and its expansions, Forgotten Hope 2, the Red Orchestra titles... It becomes pretty evident that these new titles lack gameplay features that fill those long moments of inactivity.

Upvote 0
Right, and I don't ever suggest they do, but considering they've officially decided to cut support for the game opening it up isn't all that bad of an idea. I figure we wouldn't even have Rising Storm if Tripwire had a different stance on modding with the previous titles.
Rising Storm 1 have nothing to do with modding. It was always a DLC, even staff hire as of 2010 on polycount states that. People who worked on it werent scattered across the globe, they were all in Falmouth, Cornwall, which made it tonns easier. If you want to see what modding looks like, check Sgt.Joe work, Aufmarsch or HotW.

Upvote 0
Rising Storm 1 have nothing to do with modding.

This is kinda wading off-topic but that couldn't be farther from the truth and it frustrates me to think the significance of modding is shoved under the carpet as frequently as it is when we look at the success of many of the titles released in the past and more recently. The saying "The internet doesn't forget" is sometimes hard to believe...

They had this written on their website explicitly:
The Rising Storm team consists of experienced modders, freelancers and studio employees working in their free time."

This legitimizes the fact that they were not a "Tripwire Interactive team" but an entirely separate "Rising Storm team."

It started as a mod, and eventually became a project financially backed officially by Tripwire Interactive. But nowhere does it suggest or implicate that Tripwire Interactive is the creator of the Rising Storm series.

When I said that we probably wouldn't having Rising Storm 2 today if not for modding, I was also referring to the fact that Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, the very beginning of the series, was a modification of Unreal Tournament 2003!

I get the feeling you googled this, found the polycount posting, and briefly read it to find "financial compensation is involved" and immediately assumed that meant Tripwire Interactive was responsible for the project's creation and oversight. Tripwire Interactive merely agreed to "Underwrite" the project:

There are great opportunities at Rising Storm for budding artists and freelancers alike to engage in a groundbreaking project. RS is underwritten by Tripwire Interactive to pay the team on the back end and there will also be royalties if the release is as paid DLC.

All payment is back-end - this is not a standard free-lance arrangement.

Think of it like an insurance agreement between the Tripwire Interactive team and the Rising Storm team.
We like what you're doing! Continue to make this modification of Red Orchestra, and we'll release it as a DLC people can purchase with additional financial bonuses.

Upvote 0

Except that still requires people to download files when connecting to the server, and if I've learned anything over the years, 2014 was the last year before the average gamer became overwhelmingly intolerant and blessed the communities with an attention span no longer than 5 minutes.

With that being said I still can't find reason to justify the exclusion of something to help and not even necessarily directly fix Skirmish. Whats the point in releasing a final patch aimed at fixing things as an effort to retain a playerbase while excluding things that would only benefit that cause. I preferred Skirmish overwhelmingly to the larger modes, but because Skirmish was still active, during down times I would join larger modes. Now that Skirmish is gone I've just uninstalled the game entirely...

I'm in the same boat in that I cannot find something to fill the void I'm left with. The gamemode and its rules were so unbelievably appealing and nothing else in this money craved industry comes close. Games like Hell Let Loose, Squad, and Post Scriptum suffer from scope creep that simply overwhelmed their production efforts. With time I can see them being incredible games, but when I compare them to games prior like Battlefield 1942, the mod FH1942, BF2 and its expansions, Forgotten Hope 2, the Red Orchestra titles... It becomes pretty evident that these new titles lack gameplay features that fill those long moments of inactivity.
Again it's because of the lack of time/money/interest/manpower. Tripwire Interactive has already made the majority of its profit from the title and there is no financial incentive to continue providing support. The fact that this enormous amount of time has passed and there still is no patch enforces that one of or several of the reasons above are the cause. Feel free to continue to raise the issue, but maybe I'm a bit of a pessimist in saying that nothing is going to happen from doing so.

The entirety of the assets and (non-native) source code is freely available, something that I give much thanks and credit for, it's rare to see developers not encrypt their games especially these days. Tripwire Interactive doesn't encrypt or prohibit modding for the purpose of allowing people to create and learn how to make great content for any given title, and potentially apply those skills from just a hobby to something in the industry itself. Just like they did more than a decade and a half ago.

It's entirely open for members of the community to fix the issues themselves without requiring support from Tripwire Interactive. It doesn't excuse the fact that these issues continue to persist, but Tripwire Interactive not patching said issues isn't a dead-end either. To an extent you're right, but there are more than enough people in this community itself who are interested in custom content. The Finish mod proved that, along with Green Army Men, and others. Custom content is appreciated in any community provided it's of good or decent quality.

I totally agree with your points on those other titles. Your best bet honestly is Sandstorm. It' s not skirmish, but it's the closest thing to it at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Took me a while to figure out how you replied like this...

You clearly haven't seen the dedication and willingness of communities and their reach on forums and websites if you think things like this require official financial backing from the offset. Although No Man's Sky isn't a "mod turned game", the lead developer sold his house (which he doesn't recommend anyone do) to ensure his company wouldn't go under and they could finish development... It's not impossible to develop a game sized mod with no financial backing from an already established company.

The Rising Storm team themselves called it a mod. Not sure why you're conveniently ignoring that. Regardless, modding is an integral part of the industry and without it I don't think we'd have gotten nearly as far as we have, and it upsets me greatly that people choose to ignore and sometimes outright prevents it (like EA).

Upvote 0
We are still intending to release a final QoL update, but sadly work has not progressed on that front as fast as we would have liked. When I have more to share I will do so.

Any chance we could get a WIP changelog to keep us hopeful in the meantime? Or a list of issues that have been dealt with so far.

Its been so long since anything has happened or been heard, people are extremely eager to hear what the final QoL update will entail, as there has been countless bugs, balancing suggestions, and discussion over the past 9 months that we haven't received a game update.

People love this game to death, and part of the frustration stems from so much more being planned and teased but never coming to fruition.

Upvote 0
in the meantime too. Please, please, please whitelist the mods and mutators that have been submitted for approval.

If there really has been such slow progress with regards to the final update, at least mods and mutators will give us something more in the meantime.

The whitelisting system was created, AND REQUEST MADE FOR SUBMISSIONS, 8 months ago. Since then nothing has been whitelisted.

Either winter war, teamkill log mutator, and hardcore ruleset mutators should get whitelisted, or this thread linked should be deleted as it is misleading to ask for submissions then not respond to them

Upvote 0
🤔🤔Some new content to round of 2020....

Upvote 0