• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Glock 18 & Riot Shield usefullness

BD38

Mar 13, 2017
I tried the G18 & Riot combo in the beta and now it has been officially released.
I'm kinda confused on what this combination is good for. On the one hand it's fun to use on SP, especially when upgraded, but I tired it on public too (suicidal) and it was rather underwhelming! The spread is gigantic, the damage is weak and without "Tactical Movement" you're pretty much screwed when aming down sight. Why, you may ask? Well, because your FOV is even narrower then before and you don't get any real benefit with the G18. Yes, the damage reduction is ok with 60%, but it requires that the player is aiming down the sights in order to block frontal damage. Ergo, getting hit in the back still hurts you 100%.
So, you loose your mobility with a gun that requires to be mobile, or you loose the best perk there is for the SWAT aka "Heavy Armor Training". Which is a big tradeoff.

Also, I don't understand why the Glock 18 needs the selector lever. It's piss poor damage (which is almost as low as the 9mm pistol) is compansated by its great ROF, so why would I ever switch to single shots? I mean it's a Tier 4 DLC weapon, at that point I should swim in ammo...
That brings me to another point. The weight. Why should anyone choose this over a Kriss Vector?
The Kriss has more damage, higher ROF, thighter spread, one more mag in reserve and comes with a nice RDs.
The G18 just gives you a unusable gimmick instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love the G18 irl and I don't try to hate on it, but this needs some serious overhauling!

Here are some points I would change and improve:
  • change the G18C to a normal G17 that was converted with a full auto backplate, that removes the IMO useless single shot mode and makes room for something much more usefull (this also opens up a caliber change to something like .40 S&W to give it a bit more "umpf")
  • give the Riotshield as an alternative firing mode the "block / parry", same as all other "knives", therefore you actually have a quick use for the shield and you wouldn't have to aim down the sight to avoid damage (you can balance it like an 80% reduction in damage for the block / parry mode and only 60% reduction in the ADS mode)
  • give it one more mag in total ammo carry to be atleast onpar with the Kriss capacity vise

I really hope that it will be improved in the near future, because 10$ for this is a waste of money in my eyes!

Greetings

Reactions: missing_trigger
The only thing i would agree on is making the whole blocking mechanic to the alt fire. (because the increased zoom is annoying af)

But in terms of usefulness.
- The damage is fine, it rips through zeds just as well as kriss (maybe not 1:1 but well enough that you barely notice a difference)
- Ammo pool is not a big of a problem if you shoot to the head, or run with extra ammo skill
- The damage blocking is actually good... For the hell of it we did a powercore run on hoe with 5 swats with the shields + whatever secondary they wanted (i went with nailgun), and 1 aoe medic.
With both armor skills we held the line just fine with anyone barely getting into the critical health zone XD
Some held the shields up while those behind with nailguns unleashed the barage at the big zeds and finishing them off rather quickly.
Even when playing solo queue, the shield actually saved my ass a few times when i was in a bad spot, and that's with the tactical movement this time.

The g18 has its use in more tighter maps where you are most likely get zeds right up your face.
The kriss or any other smg of your choice works better where you have more room to control the engagement distance.

So for now the major annoyance for me with the g18 and the shield is too high of a zoom in when aiming down sight, and maybe hip fire spread being a tad too high, but otherwise the wep works great. (but hey, extra ammo never hurts)
Certainly better than Mosin that has no definite spot on what type of gun it wants to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The hipfire Spread is close to being shotgun spread. I know it's "uncontrollable" irl, but this is laughable.
I maybe wasn't precise on my wording, because I didn't meant to imply that the G18C has not enough damage per shot, because the ROF is great, just like most other SMGs. My primary complaint was the shield.
If you run a full squad of only SWAT with a trutle movement like the romans did, sure that might actually work and be fun (lol), but in a solo queue without tactical movement I was overrun FAST. I still ranked up like second best with 1-2 kills behind my demo guy, but it wasn't as easy as it would have been with a Kriss imo.

That's why I introduced the idea of the "alt fire block / parry", to compensate for the sluggliness.

Greetings

Upvote 0
Currently the glock is only good for close range. You can single shot stuff at a decent range but how many people will use the glock and shield for that?

Well... isn't that the case of most of the SWAT's arsenal? I mean, you can try to snipe some targets from afar and do fairly well (mostly with the MP7 I'd say), but his role is still a trash cleaner, who "spray'n'pray" very well. And for that, the glock is an absolute beast.

So far, I'd even go as far as to say that it's the only DLC weapon worth buying. It really is incredible. And the shield certainly is a huge part of that.

Upvote 0