• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shooting from hip

o_fizzle said:
I had a guy on BaksanValley strafe left and right about 3 yards in front of me shooting from the hip while I tried to line him up in my iron sights. He got me after 2 shots. Needless to say, I was extremely frustrated.

I thought there was a 'fix' to this strafing implemented into the mod in its latter days so that you couldnt change direction so quickly. Did this make it into ROOST or not?

Upvote 0
I actually unloaded a whole clip of stg44 at a guy standing still yesterday firing from the hip I even made an effort of swining my gun around and I still failed to hit him even once! Then I hip shot a guy on the ground at my feet with one shot from stg44, it's really wierd, its like you either have blank bullets when you do it or all your rounds hit the target between the eyes.

Upvote 0
I'm finding too much hip shooting happening in this game. It isn't how a weapon is used by a trained soldier. I am for a further penalization of it somehow, and it should only be used rarely-and at very close range.

Anything that is a game exploit bothers me, and is why the FPS genre never really appealed to me(that and the legions of immature young'ns). This game is nearly what I always wanted from an FPS, but there are a few points to fix. I prefer games that are a reflection of a period of warfare, accurately reflected in gameplay. The player can learn a fraction of how combat may have played out. I may be an anomoly here, as I play for the experience of viewing history, not for "7eet" or whatever the heck ya kids say these days.

Hip shooting loonies everywhere is ruining ROOst for me. They are getting "kills" maybe, but it's an exploit. Try doing these things with a real weapon and a target. Try them again with someone shooting back.

"Gamey" tactics ruin games!

Upvote 0
o_fizzle said:
How often do you guys shoot from the hip (without iron sights)?

I had a guy on BaksanValley strafe left and right about 3 yards in front of me shooting from the hip while I tried to line him up in my iron sights. He got me after 2 shots. Needless to say, I was extremely frustrated.

I think that shooting from the hip is the ABSOLUTE WORST game killer. People who run and gun ruin the quality of the "realism" that the game has to offer. People who do it have absolutely ZERO skill, and should they ever join the military (in real life) and get the opportunity to go to war like I did, they'll realize that NO, shooting from the hip is ABSOLUTELY NOT realistic in any sense (the common argument I get on my server when I tell people to use the Iron Sights).

The ONLY time I might shoot from the hip, is rounding a corner and running right into an enemy with the only option to fire off a shot or two from <5 feet. After which time I bring the sights up and finish them. I NEVER... ABSOLUTELY NEVER... make a shot from the hip where I had a chance to use sights.

Upvote 0
I was wating for people who think hip shooting is unrealistic. Unfortunately it is realistic and there is a major penalty for doing so, mainly that a guy in IS in a good position will kill you in about 2 seconds. When clearning a room IRL most soldiers probably hipped and just spread that lead all around.

Upvote 0