• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some points that might help......READ!

Hello all, in this long post I will include some major Suggestions for RO. By no means should you think they are all good and should be added. If I include things which are already in the game I do apologise. Well then, were to begin…….?

Introduction

I think almost all people who play RO would say it is a fun enjoyable online game with some fantastic ideas put into it. In this post I will not be covering the good point of the game but only the bad points…not that I think the game is no good. I think all people will agree (even the makers) that the game has some big issues! So here are my ideas……I will do them in sections.

Team Play

The game has much good team play put into it but is still in many eyes a go do it yourself game. Here are some things which could make the team play better….

Commander: Yes, he is there, he can do things but dose he command his team? I don’t think he doses much, you might but I don’t! I think the commander should take more charge of his team. Maybe we should copy a bit of BF2….

1) The commander should have an option to type messages in a different colour so all the team can see the message clearly and understand that it is coming from the commander.
2) The commander should be able to place markers on the map. These could include arrows, circles, and squares and so on. When these are placed by the commander, sound should play to all the other players warning them there are new objectives (you may prefer that a commander can only do this when next to a communication device e.g. a radio).
3) When the commander is next to a radio he should be able to say special communications like:- we need more anti-tank or request artillery.
4) I think that instead of having the commander first come first served he should get voted in by the team or maybe random selection.

Team split into squads: Should we be a lot more like BF2 and have the team split up into teams?

1) On joining a server/changing map you should instead of choosing a weapon and away you go you should choose a squad. You still choose a weapon type and but you should be in a squad so you would go round as a team (this would make people with a e.g. MG get supported by there team more).
2) The first person to join a squad becomes the leader. (if you don’t like this it can be changed e.g. once the squad is full the leader is randomly selected or the leader of each squad is voted into power.
3) The squad leader should be able to get a few more voice commands e.g. attack here. He should be able to place markers and stuff on the map which only his
4) Squad should be ale to see. He should be able to talk to his squad in a different colour text which only his squad can see.
5) All squad members should be able to use a different colour text which only there squad can see.
6) All squad members should be able to spawn with there squad leader (even if he is in a taxi)
7) Just like there is for people there should be tank squads (e.g. all the people in one tank are a squad).
8) The squad leader should be able to lock squads so no more people can join it.

Spawn Points: Here are some suggestions for spawn points.

1) Each time you get a capture you get to spawn at that destination (this means you don’t have to fun all the way from base to hold the position.

Artillery: This may be better…..

1) The commander should also be able to send down a smoke barrage by request. This would help in situations like tank battles and at one end of a bridge.

Commander Extras: If you choose to go with the squad ideas theses should be added on to the commander.

1) The commander should be able to give each squad separate orders.
2) The commander should be able to speak to every squad in privet.
3) The commander should be able to praise and insult squads.

Technical Changes

Rag doll for guns: When you die your gun falls to the side of you. The gun should be changed to the same rules as rag dolls so when you get shot your weapon falls don realistically.

Ammo to stay put after death: At the moment ammo fall out of your holder’s when you die, this should not be as it would be strapped to you body in pouches.

All guns to be displayed on your back: All weapons should be displayed on your back, these include MG, panzerfust, Anti-tank rifle, grenades and all others.

Prone to be fixed: Prone looks bad and should be cleaned up. (This is a major problem)
Animation to be fixed: While models are not running they look terrible! This is one of the bigger issues in the game and should be fixed now!

MG when prone and mounted to look better: While looking at an MG on the floor being moved by a model, the movement looks jerky and wrong.

This is all I will include for now. None of the above should be taken 100% word for word, try and think of it as in general.

I may update this post so keep looking!

Updates

1) I now think it is a good idear to have points by staying with the MG in the game so you defend him (e.g. this would be done by staying near him for a long time) This way you can't just resupply him for points all thought resupplying is a good game option.

So what do you think..........

Have fun, Jmodels

Last edited:
Squads a good idea

Squads a good idea

I agree on the squads. I think that is a good idea. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that implemented. I am not sure about the spawning; I think that should be tested. Or at least spawning closer to the squad leader. I know it would somewhat screw up realism but being able to see your squad leader on the map would be nice. Squad Chat would be a necessary, voice and text. Maybe only have two squads per map. So that you are forced into a squad and you could still keep the same classes. No MG or sniper whores. The rally system needs some work as well. I agree that you should check the map for rally, squad leader and objective points. Maybe having on overall commander might be nice too. Give him just a little more situational awareness. For example when someone calls out an enemy or a tank that might show up on the commanders map for a few seconds. Not the real-time stuff in BF2 or the 3d top down thing. Also give him the power to give rally points for the Squad leader. In real life you would have objectives and the commander would have battlefield intelligence.

Upvote 0
First up i dont think red orchestra really needs an overall commander, generally in this game the guy taking sense on the voip is the guy you listen to and follow, but i wouldnt mind some sort of squad system allthough it would have to be tested extensively to make sure it doesnt muc up anything but no spawn on leader that would be stupid.
About spawn points the way it is persently is perfect ur idea would totally muc up the present system where spawn killing is nearly impossible also this would make for tactics like mass rushing sure you might loss most of your team but if you take the cap they'll respawn in secs no go with this idea it would change gameplay too much and make people even more careless and ramboo like.
Bout ur cosmetic changes sure why not maybe in the future.

Upvote 0
Some pretty fresh suggestions there. I mostly agree on those, but limiting arty is not very good idea, and unrealistic too. It really adds to the atmosphere. Only it should be more controllable, like instead of six barrages striking the same coordinates, you could change them for each, or for every third strike at least. I also find the spawn system fantastic and nearly flawless. Changing it would result in unbalanced maps and possible spawnkilling, intentional and unintentional, a'la Battlefield.

I do find the squad idea very nice. What I would add to it, would be some sort of spawn system to benefit the squad players, so that they would spawn around the same time. Also, the commander should have more options for orders.

Nice ideas.

Upvote 0
Yer, I thik the arti should not be limmated..i change my mind I like the noise there its just so cool so forget I ever said it.

in the war arrti was allway fallin in a battel....

Please note:

I now think it is a good idear to have points by staying with the MG in the game so you defend him (e.g. this would be done by staying near him for a long time) This way you can't just resupply him for points all thought resupplying is a good game option.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to come off as a jerk, or a nitpicker, but don't put READ in your thread title and then make the font small to where its annoying to actually read it :D .

I will comment on the technical changes; wait untill UE3.0 is out and this game is released on that engine, then you should be happy. I wonder what those flame throwers are going to be like....*drool*

Upvote 0
I too am rooting for the Squad functionsimillar to BF2 but with a few changes like, Squad members shouldn't spawn where the squad leader is, but rather, have a common spawn point, so if two or three squad members die in a fire-fight, they can spawn together in the same area and move out together to regroup with the squad.

And of course squads having their own channel for voip and chat.

My suggestions was posted in this thread also

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3455

Upvote 0
Jmodels said:
4) I think that instead of having the commander first come first served he should get voted in by the team or maybe random selection.
I disagree with 4.

Team split into squads: Should we be a lot more like BF2 and have the team split up into teams?

1) On joining a server/changing map you should instead of choosing a weapon and away you go you should choose a squad. You still choose a weapon type and but you should be in a squad so you would go round as a team (this would make people with a e.g. MG get supported by there team more).
2) The first person to join a squad becomes the leader. (if you don’t like this it can be changed e.g. once the squad is full the leader is randomly selected or the leader of each squad is voted into power.
3) The squad leader should be able to get a few more voice commands e.g. attack here. He should be able to place markers and stuff on the map which only his
4) Squad should be ale to see. He should be able to talk to his squad in a different colour text which only his squad can see.
5) All squad members should be able to use a different colour text which only there squad can see.
6) All squad members should be able to spawn with there squad leader (even if he is in a taxi)
7) Just like there is for people there should be tank squads (e.g. all the people in one tank are a squad).
8) The squad leader should be able to lock squads so no more people can join it.
Squad Sections will not work as it is 32 players max on a server.

Spawn Points: Here are some suggestions for spawn points.

1) Each time you get a capture you get to spawn at that destination (this means you don’t have to fun all the way from base to hold the position.
Already in the game.
Technical Changes

Rag doll for guns: When you die your gun falls to the side of you. The gun should be changed to the same rules as rag dolls so when you get shot your weapon falls don realistically.
This doesn't really add anything but it could be thought about I guess.
Ammo to stay put after death: At the moment ammo fall out of your holder’s when you die, this should not be as it would be strapped to you body in pouches.
So does the ammo stay there so you can never get it?

Prone to be fixed: Prone looks bad and should be cleaned up. (This is a major problem)
The only problem with prone is when people are on a slope... How they appear to be looking up.
Animation to be fixed: While models are not running they look terrible! This is one of the bigger issues in the game and should be fixed now!
Perhaps you could be more specific here. If you really mean the models look terrible then I disagree but if you mean the walk animation could be looked at then sure.
MG when prone and mounted to look better: While looking at an MG on the floor being moved by a model, the movement looks jerky and wrong.
I don't think so...

Upvote 0
I strongly oppose the BF2-isation of RO which is suggested in this thread.

It would break the game IMHO if you had people spawning anywhere on the map or right at the objectives.
Also, back then, commanders did not have acces to personal radios, gps and data uplinks, so IMHO even the ability to set rally-points is unrealistic and not needed.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
I will comment on the technical changes; wait untill UE3.0 is out and this game is released on that engine, then you should be happy. I wonder what those flame throwers are going to be like....*drool*
If the next-gen game will be a sequel to Red Orchestra and will have the flamethrower... YES! :D

Imagine this with a PhysX... F*ckin' beautiful! :D

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
I strongly oppose the BF2-isation of RO which is suggested in this thread.

It would break the game IMHO if you had people spawning anywhere on the map or right at the objectives.
Also, back then, commanders did not have acces to personal radios, gps and data uplinks, so IMHO even the ability to set rally-points is unrealistic and not needed.

Like I said on my post, I tried to throw out the idea of squad members spawining in the same area because I noticed in the game, you get to spawn randomly in different areas.

At least this way, it's easier to find your squad mate and you could easily move up together and regroup with the squad.

Regrouping can be done by calling out your coordinates via voip and using the map grid, squad leaders don't have to set rally points.

Upvote 0