• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shooting the wrong people

HammerHeadFred

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 29, 2006
I seem to have a problem shooting the guys on my own side,I have trouble telling my side from the other side at a distance,the uniforms both seem to look the same from far away.this doesnt happen all the time but a few times it has,is there a trick to which side is which.it was so much easier in call of duty 1 and 2 to tell the sides apart.And dont tell me I suck because I allready know that.:confused:

I am forgiving of honest mistakes and apologies from team mates but I get really pissed with team mates who decide to shoot up the rear end of my tank or person when leaving spawn for the fun of it.

Had this happen on a tank map last night and a turned the Tigars full wrath onto em. I was yellow with red components by the time I retalliated and I then broadcasts a corresponding message stating my position. Only felt sorry for the driver of the other tank but if his commander/gunner is going to do that then the driver needs to go solo or team up with another.

As for Friend or Foe recognition, just give your self time, you'll get better at Id'ing players. Also even Vets suffer from recognition problems every once in a while. I, last night, naded a sandbag cause it looked like a red :)
Hard to tell when it's in long grass with bush near it.

Upvote 0
The colors do tend to be different. Look around when you spawn, note the color, and don't shoot at pixels that color =P

The biggest problem I have is with tank crews... at any sort of range they're basically identical (they have different hats... and the same color coveralls~) Of course I use that to my advantage too... I've gotten shot out of my tank, and held the hill on Ogledow for ten minutes by myself... pistol whiped german infantry, steal his Kar and nades... pick up the spawning panzerfaust... German infantry run up and assume I'm a freindly tank driver... stab stab... so mean =P

Upvote 0
As we all remember, friendly fire, isn't. Not only that, but that one shot that you do claim, is on your own team-mate.

Putting the laws aside, it just takes practice. Figure out what people are doing on your team, ask (helps when you have a mic), and better yet, discern the two. Also make sure which direction they're moving in. However, you'll always find that solo runner that doesn't tell anyone what he's doing, and goes around in circles 24/7, just itching to be pegged accidentally, or "accidentally". Useless people. . .

Upvote 0
I go mainly by the colours - russians being a crappy brown or winter cam (white) colour with Germans dark grey/blue grey (depending on distance).
Then also the helmet and equipment outline.

If in doubt...do not shoot. i always employ this adage and it really annoys me when others don't. Combine this with looking at the ebb and flow of the battle to see who should be heading in what direction then...99 time out of 100 if you can see the guy at all you should be able to tell.

it only remains then for you to rack up those tk's with the grenades. You know the scenario - StalingradKessel, you're legging it to a doorway, the Russians are on the other side, you dont want to get shot so you let fly a grenade....it bounces off the door at an angle, hits the ceiling and lands 2 feet behind you right in front of your three mates who are following, making you the most unpopular person on the server for about 30 seconds till the next person does it. :eek:

Upvote 0
.:iGi:.U.G.H. said:
The first 5 hours I played ROOST I had the same problem but now I TK only once in a blue moon. :)

After you do it a few times you learn to distinguish who is who. Also, run the maps in practice with bots. Helps a lot to learn whats going on.

How many have only played on Arad where all the Axis tanks are a nice yellow. Then play on a different map and you have learned to always shoot the dark tank first and ask questions later :rolleyes:. I only did that once and felt really stupid.

Upvote 0
I was palying yesterday on the map with the hill point on the northern side.
some german teammates were running at me from where some russian tanks were.
I asked over the voice chat if the two people running towards the hill were german or not, noone answerd and another teammate by me said to watch them.
One of the teammates stops and starts shooting at me, so I take cover and when I come out form cover he's right by me and in the confusion I shot and killed him.
I then tell him sorry and he starts being a jerk about how I'm really not sorry and was being a general jerk.

I hate people sometimes...

Upvote 0