• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Single play

Thank you.

I WILL NOW CROSS THIS ONE OFF MY LIST OF PRODUCTS I AM INTERESTED IN.

(it also probably explains why the price is $29.99 in the U.S......most new sims stay at $39.99 to $49.99 when they open on the market. Now lets assume you sell just 30,000 units in the United States within the first 6 months and that this sim had a single player campaign mode and thus being a full value product as such would then support a price point of just $39.99 for that period. That would add $300,000, in otherwords over a quarter million dollars revenue. I guess if you only want to sell online gaming you can but it seems like you wasted your profit margin Tripwire. If Trip is a stock company I would be bringing these poor managment decisions up at the next shareholder meeting).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't believe your judging a multiplayer game on a single player mode!

So you have never played games such as the likes of CSs, DODs, any BF series? You are missing out!

Your threory is wrong too. The BF series (from what i remember) doesn't have a single player capaign. You can play singler player with stupid bots though (just like RO). BF2 is still at the retail price of

Upvote 0
tc1965 said:
Thank you.

(it also probably explains why the price is $29.99 in the U.S......most new sims stay at $39.99 to $49.99 when they open on the market. Now lets assume you sell just 30,000 units in the United States within the first 6 months and that this sim had a single player campaign mode and thus being a full value product as such would then support a price point of just $39.99 for that period. That would add $300,000, in otherwords over a quarter million dollars revenue. I guess if you only want to sell online gaming you can but it seems like you wasted your profit margin Tripwire. If Trip is a stock company I would be bringing these poor managment decisions up at the next shareholder meeting).
Well, good luck explaining at that shareholder meeting how to finance 3-4 years of unpaid work to make a good, solid singleplayer game that may or may not succeed, largely depending on wether anyone is willing to shell out $5 million in advertising and marketing at the end of it, and then wait for the customers..

Game development is really expensive and Tripwire is one of very, very, very few independent developers who have managed to get their game published worldwide, they have done this at great personal sacrifice and huge financial risk (would you quit your job, work for free on a game for 6 months to a year and hope it will be good enough to sell enough to make up for all the free work?)

Not even companies like valve or DICE have done this, Basically they started out by finding publishers who could support them financially, like VUGames and EA. These publishers are all about buisness, so often compromises have to be made, whether its gameplay, distrubution, deadlines, or whatever.

Valve "got out" pretty well off, but it took them time to grow strong enough to put up a fight..they just recently finally finished fighting with sierra/VU Games over the rights to distribute their own games.

A developer worse off (in my opinion) is DICE, (the developers of BF series) They ended up getting swallowed by their publisher EA, which means the people with the talent and the people who force them to prematurely release bug-ridden **** , and move on to full-priced expansions before patching, now all work for the same people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tc1965 said:
Thank you.

Great for you. Not all of us have crappy internet connections, so you don't need to hate the game.

Tripwire is a group of bad ass modders who went retail.

Upvote 0
tc1965 said:
Thank you.

Developing a solid single player campaign, the one that could compete with SP COD2, costs a lot, lot, LOT LLLOOOOTTTTT more than 300k USD so your whole math is flawed.

People, and companies do what they are good at. Tripwire guys are good at making multiplayer games/mods, maps etc. so they stick to that, which is smart decision.

Upvote 0
Allow me to pipe in here.:p

Developing an online MP game is a WHOLE LOT easier (and thus less expensive) than a SP game since you don't have AI code to work on. You simply code the game and let the players provide the intelligence , or lack of in a lot of cases. :p

RO:O is unique in this day of the myth that the only reason a lot of us don't have broad band is because we're too cheap. In fact only about 43% of the population of north america have access to it (note I said NORTH AMERICA not the US). It supports dial up and I've had some good games even on my crap rural connection. You just have to adjust your game play accordingly.

Fortunatley RO:O is the type of game that doesn't appeal to the masses (ala BF2 for example) so you have a much higher percentage of quality players vs throngs of players , a high percentage of which act stupider than bots.

So, IMO , to "cross it off the list" simply because it doesn't support a SP campaign mode isn't really giving the game a fair shot so to speak.

There may , on the surface , appear to be fewer servers than a lot of the more popular games , but one thing I've found from my experiences is that you won't have to spend the evening hopping from server to server trying to find a decent game. Once you find a populated server , you WILL , in all likelyhood , find yourself engrossed.

So , drop the $$'s on the game , log on and give it a whirl.

You might just be pleasantly surprised. :D

Upvote 0
You are really missing out on the game if SP is your only concern. The game is probably one of the better MP's out there. So far things are balanced, not to say some things need work. Most of the maps in RO I have played have been a lot of fun. When teamwork is in full swing it can be a great adventure.

Upvote 0