• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The melee system could use some polishing...

SyntH

Mar 13, 2006
Right now, melee attacks are more of a novelty; they're used, but usually just to humiliate the opponent.

Now, I am not trying to suggest that the ineffectiveness of the melee weapons is in any way game-breaking. It's not. However, I think a bit of tweaking and polishing could make melee attacks more powerful without making them overpowered. In doing this, the game would be that much more realistic and create new possible strategies.

Why not allow the butt-stroke, for instance, to quickly, but violently, shake the victim's first-person camera and slightly blur their vision for a few seconds. It's unrealistic and immersion breaking when someone savagely struck over the back of their head with a blunt object turns around and shoots you without any difficulty. With the bayonet, the same blurring effect could apply, or maybe even something else.

My point is that the melee system is a little clumsy right now. With any game, polish is important. I think the polishing of this area would make what is already a great game that much better.

Feel free to offer any suggestions/criticism.

adding a blurring effect would be a good idea IMO when you get butted, but don't really need it for the bayonet. Make it like you're wounded and can't move for a few seconds or somethin like that.

i dunno, the blurring would be cool though, but that's all that needs to be added.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN said:
You can only one-shot someone by hitting them in the head. Even stabbing someone in the chest from a full charge rarely has any effect on a non-wounded player. It's incredibly annoying that it takes the same number of bayonet stabs to take someone does as it does pistol whips.

What ur having a laugh i almost allways get one stab kills with the bayo.

Upvote 0
2 players in hand to hand combat is simply pathetic at the moment. Button bashing untill one is lucky enough to hit the other in the right place. It always makes me think of the axe wielding guys in quake1. In fact I dont think hand to hand combat has been properly developed in any fps sofar. At least an 'attack' and a 'defend' key would be nice. Plus the addition of some edged weapons (knives, spades,...)

Upvote 0
A question that i've got about the bayo these days is can you aim through the iron sights? I never really did that in the mod as it was pretty much always 1-hit-kill, but i've tried iron sighting a person if i've crept up on them and stab at the head (mostly for the fun of it) and that seems to work. Can you aim the bayo with iron sights or is it me gettting lucky?

Upvote 0
The problem at this point is the accuracy. In real life stabbing someone with a bayonet from point blank is almost always going to hit them. The only chance they should have is to block the attack or turn and run. In RO I often find myself stabbing upwards of 10 times as they strafe side to side and backwards as they reload. Personally I think the backpedal speed should be next to nothing when reloading and melee radius increased so you can actually reliably hit them.

Upvote 0
I brought this up with the devs awhile ago about how IRL when you are 3 feet away from someone its damned easy to stick them. A larger "range" might help, but ATM its actually perfectly synched third person to first person. (Maybe in the future we will actually see a bayo penetrate FP :D) Maybe some sort of auto lock on thing would help, but that could get complicated. ATM I dont think there is really a good solution.

Upvote 0