• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Update on Zonealarm issues - 27 March 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Instructions followed no luck

Instructions followed no luck

Hi,
I have followed the instructions posted here to the letter as I have the latest version of ZA installed, I re-downloaded the latest edition before deleting all references to the edition installed and can get RO to work without ZA, however there is no way I am using one of my pcs without a firewall, if I reinstalled ZA the pc just starts to reboot again it is a real pity because what I saw of RO was a very promising game, hopefully somebody will get the finger out and release a patch to allow the game to run.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
Just for the record, Valve are also joining the fray on this one: they are also chasing down this (and related) issues with Zonelabs.
I can't yet see why you don't alert your buyers about this compatibility issue, BEFORE they buy RO.

If I knew it, I would surely wait for a fix before buying the game.

Somebody asked for a refund, I think they are right, you should offer refund to people who don't want to change their firewall for the only program or game, Zone Alarm seems to have a problem with.

By the way: i came to this forum as soon as I found out that the game crashed, hoping to see if someone have had the same problem, and maybe how to fix it.

When I saw my problem nicely visible in the home page, I really got angry.....
I didn't buy the game from this web site....you know....

I bought from steam web site, and there was nothing there, except a form to pay for the product

I'm not asking you to say "sorry we made such a bug that our game is not working if you have Zone Alarm installed".

I'm just asking you to say "ATTENTION: this game can not start with version x.xxx of Zone Alarm", in some place where the buyer can read it BEFORE he sends you hard earned money.

That's simply honest. Your behaviour hasn't been fair to customers like me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Critical error

Critical error

ninitialized: Log file open, 04/02/06 21:11:59
Uninitialized: STEAMAUTH : SteamStartup successful
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
Init: Version: 3339 (128.29)
Init: Compiled: Mar 13 2006 12:03:03
Init: Command line:
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: e:\program files\steam\steamapps\[email protected]\red orchestra\System\
Init: Ini:RedOrchestra.ini UserIni:User.ini
Init: Build label: Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Localization: No localization: RedOrchestra.General.Start (int)
Log: nv4_disp.dll/NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Log: Game class is 'GameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 5.537000...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Log: Browse: ROintro.rom
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Garbage: objects: 26873->26873; refs: 264219
Log: Game class is 'CinematicGame'
Log: Bringing Level ROintro.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 15.094000...
Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
ScriptLog: ROGUIController initialized
Log: ALAudio: Using DirectSound to record audio.
Critical: UObject::StaticAllocateObject
Critical: (Package None)
Critical: UObject::CreatePackage
Critical: UObject::ResolveName
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadObject
Critical: (Engine.Sound None..Headshot NULL)
Critical: UObject::processEvent
Critical: (CinematicPlayer ROintro.CinematicPlayer, Function UnrealGame.UnrealPlayer.PostBeginPlay)
Critical: ULevel::SpawnActor
Critical: (CinematicPlayer)
Critical: UObject::processEvent
Critical: (CinematicGame ROintro.CinematicGame, Function Engine.GameInfo.Login)
Critical: ULevel::SpawnPlayActor
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Critical: FMallocWindows::Free
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Exit: OpenAL Audio subsystem shut down.
Exit: Double fault in object ShutdownAfterError
Localization: No localization: Window.IDDIALOG_CrashBox.IDC_CrashBox (int)
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 123 MByte 190 KByte 534 Bytes from HD took 12.863487 seconds (12.701487 reading, 0.162000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.161000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 04/02/06 21:14:15

I found this in a text document in RO system, can i please get some help. Zone alarm is uninstalled but i get a critical error message in stead

Upvote 0
Guys chillout, i bought RO and havnt played it yet as im not willing to change my firewall which works PERFECT with every other piece of software. But moaning and shouting at the developers aint gonna make them work faster, believe me they are well aware of the problem and are working in conjunction with valve and zonelabs and a patch will be released in the next 1-2 weeks im guessing. The patch will take longer because i think they'll want to iron out other problems such as AOL users having problems and little glitches/problems that need ironing out. Why would they release 3-4 patches when they could do it all in 1 patch? Just give them a few weeks and we'll all be happily playing from what iv seen..a BRILLIANT game. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
cyberkris said:
Guys chillout, i bought RO and havnt played it yet as im not willing to change my firewall which works PERFECT with every other piece of software. But moaning and shouting at the developers aint gonna make them work faster, believe me they are well aware of the problem and are working in conjunction with valve and zonelabs and a patch will be released in the next 1-2 weeks im guessing. The patch will take longer because i think they'll want to iron out other problems such as AOL users having problems and little glitches/problems that need ironing out. Why would they release 3-4 patches when they could do it all in 1 patch? Just give them a few weeks and we'll all be happily playing from what iv seen..a BRILLIANT game. :rolleyes:

How about the other way around? Maybe they should give us ZA users their money back and I'll be happy to buy RO again, after they solved the problem.

Either way, I'm willing to wait a little bit longer for the patch. But
1) I expect to see the patch in the next 2-3 weeks max (and this is because I have so many other great games to play at the moment) - otherwise I'll get my money back.
2) I expect that this problem is solved satisfactorily with the first patch - otherwise I'll get my money back.
3) I expect to see regular updates on the progress from TW in this forum.

My 10 cents (or - more like my $25 ... ;))

Chuck

Upvote 0
I want my 25$ back. I bought Zone Alarm Security Suite today without knowing there was a conflict issue with this game and now my computer keeps crashing when I try to launch it.
When you buy a game you shouldn t have to worry about wether it will work or not. You paid hard cash for it you expect it to work as its supposed to, this is very amateurish of you guys it sounds like these developers ve been working from their basement. What now you are going to put the blame on ZA when they are the reference in computer security?? This is your problem and you should come up with a way to fix it quickly instead of going over crazy procedures such as manually remove all files that have to do with ZA from your hard drive, or reintsall steam on another drive!!!!! You think I have time for this??? It was your job to set this game up not mine. I paid $60 for ZA security suite and I m sure as hell not ready to get rid of it for RO's sake. Fix this problem guys, come up with a patch but dont ask your customers to deal with it themselves it is outrageous. We paid money earned through hard work to your pocket so you better get this game running.

If you dont do something about it I guarantee you you are going to get a lot of bad press.
I m laughing when I read the measures you recommend to fix the problem, ;like I have time to reprogram my computer/ registry just cos you r stupid game was not properly tested. ZA is a reference in the industry, I put the blame on you. You amateurs.

Upvote 0
I want to say that having seen issues before with new games ( bf1942 comes to mind) i cant remember seeing an issue piss me off so fricken much.

Downloading the game started it off. Took forever, but hey whataya want. Cant complain to much, set it up over night, done for morning.

Try to launch, bsod HARD!! Well my computer was on all night, maybe the ram is overheating shut it down and do some stuff. Couple of hours later bsod HARD again. C'mon what now, half hour of digging around i find zonalarm is the reason. Had a few problems with ZA in the past but nothing on this scale.Well i will wait for a patch.

Finished catching up all my stuff to do, old lady is not around, maybe i will take ZA off. I have a router anyway. wtf. I just want to play RO.

Take ZA off.....restart..... WHAM.....Now my main computer has a system config error and cant be booted!!!!!

Let me tell you something....If i could get my hands on someone from ZA or RO i would put your fricken lights out quick. This **** aint funny at all.... if i have to wipe out my hard drives cause of basically lousy beta testing I am gonna kill something.

Respondents were right, you should have a warning up to prospective purchasers. I felt pretty butt raped when i couldnt boot my gaming machine.

Upvote 0
Some more information in case it helps:

When I tried to play Red Orchestra on the day it was released, I experienced the 'ZoneAlarm problem'. Attempting to launch the game would trigger a hard reset (no BSOD, no error message, it just reset. Weird). I had the latest available version of ZoneAlarm (free version) installed at the time.

Tried all the suggestions on the forum (with the exception of uninstalling ZoneAlarm - I did not uninstall OR reinstall ZoneAlarm), but to no effect. It just reset my system again and again.

Then I tried doing some of my own fiddling with ZoneAlarm settings, deleting the RedOrchestra folder and clientregistry.blob, loading RedOrchestra\setup.exe and adding setup.exe to ZoneAlarm's allow list, etc.

After that, the game worked perfectly. No crashes or resets... . Don't ask me why. It would seem to indicate that THERE IS A SIMPLE SOLUTION to the problem, though... if it can be found(?)

Anyway... today I downloaded and installed the new version of ZoneAlarm that was released recently. Now the problem is back - once again, trying to launch Red Orchestra triggers a hard reset.

Upvote 0
I've said it already in this thread - I'll update the first post too.
  • Zonelabs have acknowledged that the problem lies with them, not with RO.
  • It is now with their second line support.
  • It is an issue they have introduced with Release 6 (in general).
  • They are having the issue with other software (no, they won't tell me which - and frankly, I don't care).
  • They now believe they understand the problem, because the RO community has been able to provide them with the info they needed to find the problem.
  • Last I heard (Saturday 1st April - no joking) was that they expect to have it fixed in the next release - but no ETA on that yet. I'm waiting to hear.
What we do know is that do ing the full reinstall works for SOME people. Dropping back to Release 5 also seems to work (and confirms what Zonelabs have said about the problem being introduced at Release 6).

THERE IS STILL NOTHING TRIPWIRE CAN DO ABOUT THIS. THE ISSUE REQUIRES RESOLUTION FROM ZONELABS, TO FIX ZONEALARM RELEASE 6.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.