• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finally buying a guitar

takadi said:
hey I'm thinking of playing guitar. I like that psychedelic style of David Gilmour from Pink Floyd (especially the distortions, the whiney violin type solos he did), and I like Radiohead's trippy style. What would you recommend?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=35Sj5zwaL8Q
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zpx0QHtMUg8

tbh

You sir, want a Fender. Gilmore was always a Strat-man. Jonny Greenwood (as well as O'Brien) of Radiohead loves his Fender Telecaster.

Try to find a used one somewhere - shop for the mid-range (Mexican as mentioned above) models.

*If you get one of those 'cheap beginer sets' you'll be horribly dissapointed - playing a crap guitar is just an ugly experience. As mentioned above - for for a real simple - barebones - well-constructed intrument - the best you can afford. Then you can work on the amp, effects etc - but start with a decent axe unless you just want to mash around with it a bit (i.e. is it a hobby/diversion or something you are seriously considering as an artistic outlet for your thoughts and feelings?)

Upvote 0
icu said:
*If you get one of those 'cheap beginer sets' you'll be horribly dissapointed - playing a crap guitar is just an ugly experience.

Well, in that store I went to they sell Ibanez starter sets (don't remember which type / model), and Ibanez is a good brand right? Lemme Google it, it was something like this:
Ibnz_EPack.jpg

but start with a decent axe unless you just want to mash around with it a bit (i.e. is it a hobby/diversion or something you are seriously considering as an artistic outlet for your thoughts and feelings?)

In the beginning it'll most likely be simple mashing and jamming around a bit. But if I get better, I'd love to do my own stuff (if I can!:p).

Upvote 0
I have no frame of reference, but I've heard that Ibanez quitars leave a lot to be desired until you reach their upper tier of more expensive guitars - at which point they pwn.

Yes, a starter set may be fine - hey I started on a POS Peavy strat copy so it's all good. It's just once you go up a level in quality it's like a brand-new instrument. That Ibanez may be just fine for you, but I would TRY to go to a shop and get some hands-on experience with one before you buy.

Upvote 0
for starting out you should go for the ibanez. its cheap durable and you wont breakdown if you snap the neck. it may not sound good to you after awile but thats ok.
if you decide to spend some serious cash then buy quality.
nothing good is cheap, nothing cheap is good.
ive invested tons on wrong gear. buy the best and stay away from flashy colorfull gear. it alwasy seems to break.

so you know, ive been playing for 20 years, i was a professional musician, engineer, and freelance soundman at different times.
I have an american charvel bass, a dean xml guitar, crown power tech 1 amp with a sansamp psa-1 and dbx 160x compressor. im between cabs right now, i'll probably get a ampeg 4x10 and 18" for my bass and a cube for my guitar, tho a half stack would do lol.
my home studio has to much to list.

outside of gear, the best thing i can tell you as a musician is to play from the heart, and play with others.

good luck

Upvote 0
Just buy a Nylon String Classic acoustic guitar (made in Japan) they are very good guitars for the beginner.

Plus they are only $100 brand new...I have electric Jackson JSP2, Stratacastor copy , Steel string accoustic Monteray..just a cheapy and a Nylon String Made in japan Suzuki.

I find my self most often playing the Nylon string acoustic...sounds good and just pick up and play.

Stop thinking that you may know what style you want to play until you have played! Yu might not even like guitar yet?..so just stick to a cheap Jap Nylon accoustic....if you want to have fun for 10minutes..ye get an electric some Pedals and play some bar chords with the disstortion up...that loses its fun after a bit of time and Mum and dad wont reaaly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Hey guys. What do you think is the best guitar / has the best sound:

Epiphone Les Paul 100 or Epi Les Paul Standard II
Never tried the LP 100, but I own and love the Les Paul Standard. However, I've never heard of a Les Paul Standard "II". Are you sure you're not talking about the Les Paul Special II?

If it's between a Special and a 100, I'd definitely go for the 100.

Upvote 0
Alvarez has very nice acoustic guitars for a good price. Ibanez also has some very solid electric guitars as well. I have both acoustic and a semi-hollowbody electric and I love them. Guitar is one of the best things to come into my life. I've only been playing for about 5 months and I can't play that much, but I enjoy just sitting down and strumming REAL chords. Don't learn powerchords only or I'll kick the **** out of you. I can play Wish You Were Here and I'm very satisfied with that.

Upvote 0
Sherman said:
Alvarez has very nice acoustic guitars for a good price. Ibanez also has some very solid electric guitars as well. I have both acoustic and a semi-hollowbody electric and I love them. Guitar is one of the best things to come into my life. I've only been playing for about 5 months and I can't play that much, but I enjoy just sitting down and strumming REAL chords. Don't learn powerchords only or I'll kick the **** out of you. I can play Wish You Were Here and I'm very satisfied with that.

Hehe..Wish you where here is a cool song to play...great if you can get 2 guitars with a mate.

Guitarists.net. Is a great site..heaps of TAB on there to learn from..I dont read music..used to do Piano as a kid and am rrather limited when it comes to that.

But that is one thing you should try and learn..reading music..it is the hard way to getting to playing the cool songs in away istead of going Tab...but well worth it if you want to get serious.

I suggest you DL Deerhunter MP3 from somewhere...and have a shot at the TAB for it. Challenging and rewarding. (and the chicks dig it.)

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Well, in that store I went to they sell Ibanez starter sets (don't remember which type / model), and Ibanez is a good brand right? Lemme Google it, it was something like this:
Ibnz_EPack.jpg

In the beginning it'll most likely be simple mashing and jamming around a bit. But if I get better, I'd love to do my own stuff (if I can!:p).

That guitar got a tremelo, cheap guitar + tremelo is NOT what you want. Or any tremelo at all actually when learning. Changing the tuning off 1 strill will put off all other strings. it takes some time to get them all right. And believe me you want to be playing not tuning your guitar.

I'd say get a Vox ac15 as amplifier or a Cube 15. a guitarstrap + bag + lots of different picks (they cost nothing don't be cheap on darn picks). And afcourse a guitar.

Alot of people seam to like the Dean Vendetta 1.0 and 2.0. for what they deliver.

I'm still a new player, but plz don't be like me and get a guitar with a tremelo system in the beginning (especially a cheap one without locking nuts).

Upvote 0