• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Marking tanks with tracers....

jimmy1635

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 15, 2006
Does anybody else mark tanks with tracers to help team mates identify them?

I find its best to do this as a MG in a tank and just fire a few shots at the enemy tank, it will catch the commanders attention etc

I occasionally do it with MG inf aswell but not always as it can get you vapourised...:p

I get unbelievably anoyed when my tank MG does that to an enemy tank that has no idea where Im at... Ive even been on the other side of 3 enemy tanks without them knowing and nothing is better than your teammate shooting at them with an MG and ALL 3 of the enemy turrets start slowly turning towards you.

Upvote 0
If you're driving and buttoned down, you can usually not see much, so you are relying on your commander to tell you where and what. Other than that, it is generally best for a decent driver just to make adjustments, such as angling the armour and trying to get cover/hull down positions, as well as being able to react to things like coming under fire and retreating to reload.

Upvote 0
jimmy1635 said:

I find its best to do this as a MG in a tank and just fire a few shots at the enemy tank, it will catch the commanders attention etc

I occasionally do it with MG inf aswell but not always as it can get you vapourised...:p

I do it when my TC clearly isn't looking at the right target. I usually drive (since most numbnuts playing this game seem to have no idea how to do it) and when I spot an enemy tank I like to point my nose at him. Some TC's (who should never get in a tank again) will look everywhere but at the target. So, I will jump into the gunners position and mark the target.

Upvote 0
Razorback said:
I do it when my TC clearly isn't looking at the right target. I usually drive (since most numbnuts playing this game seem to have no idea how to do it) and when I spot an enemy tank I like to point my nose at him. Some TC's (who should never get in a tank again) will look everywhere but at the target. So, I will jump into the gunners position and mark the target.
Uhm... is it just me, or does it seem like it's you that might need to tank training instead of your crew?
You should NOT point your tank directly at the enemy tank, this is tank lesson 101, always angle the tank. On another side note, communication is way better then MG fire. VoIP, voice commands (there are default set for tank use already, like "Enemy in Front!") or simply using the "vehicle say" text message is all much better then MG to point out enemy possitions. All I can say is that I would not like to have you as my driver...

Upvote 0
About the only time I bother trying to MG a tank is when either I see the other guy is unbuttoned (and I'm busy reloading or just in the hull MG), or when I've already engaged in a fire-fight with one other tank and I'm feeling a bit silly.
The latter, I only do if I happen to be solo'ing in a tank, we're already exchanging AP rounds, and it's just sometimes fun to plink tracers at the other guys.

I guess some people just like the pretty colors *shrug*

Upvote 0
jimmy1635 said:

I do exactly that as long as my tank isnt in cover in a vulnerable position that could be blown by the tracers...otherwise they tend to mark me more than the enemy :D

Couple of times i have noticed team mates using my tracers as a guide to nail an enemy tank that they couldnt quite target before due to foliage or cover, so it can be useful.

Upvote 0