• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Afrika Campaign Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyRat

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006
Glasgow
www.outlawgamers.com
(idea from Zoring)

Howdy chaps listen up!

I am interested in organising and managing a mod team for RO. I have very little experience with modding and only for the Quake engine, although I am doing game development at Uni, and I know a bit about animation etc. I also work for a recording studio as a supplier to the games industry so getting voice recordings done etc should be a breeze.

The Afrika Campaign would be a great addition to RO...with ROs focus on tank battles Afrika is crying out to be done! Some great battles were fought between Rommel and Bernard Montgommery of the British army, some excellent focuses for maps could be; Tobruk, Gazala and El Alamein.
---

What we need:

Guesstimate

1-2 managers/designers
1 historian

3 mappers
1-2 Coders
3-4 modellers
1-2 skinners

I reckon we should aim to produce 3 maps initially: one tank map, another combined arms and another infantry focused...so ideally 3 mappers would be good..I will be learning the trade myself as we proceed.

We will need new models for the british and german tanks and troop carriers, and also the british weapons in particular.

Skinners to create the new British & German skins and weapon/vehicle skins. (I have experience with texturing so I may be able to help with this, once i learn some basic skinning principles.)

Coders to adjust the ballistics of all the weapons and vehicles created.

Historian (or history buff) - to keep it all historically accurate like RO.

Designers/managers - one will be me, but we'll need someone for each group to keep things organised and flowing.
---

I can create a website for this very soon!

Who is with me?? :) Join the temporary forum i have made HERE

If I get some good interest here i'll go build a forum to get us started

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylle
Count me in!

I don't have actual modding experiences but I can help with the site!
Currently trying to help redorchestra.nl aswell! :D

Finally an Nord-Afrika/North-Africa campaign! :D
Does this mean multination like Lybia, Tunesia, Morocco (Casablanca as Commonwealth city), etc? :D

My MSN Messenger address, if you wish to contact me: [email protected]

Upvote 0
I'd also like to point out you'll need some voice actors and basic sound engineering..
I'd also recommend keep in mind to reskin relevent Axis armor and uniforms.

(With a large part of the RO community being from the UK, (and even some Aussies/Kiwis), new voice cmds shoudl be easy to do..)

BTW: given the time for the coding/design/skinning/etc.. of your new actors (tanks/infantry), 3 mappers should probably be able more then just 3 levels... but it's a good start. :]

Sounds like this would be fun, best of luck :]

Upvote 0
UncleDrax said:
I'd also like to point out you'll need some voice actors and basic sound engineering..
I'd also recommend keep in mind to reskin relevent Axis armor and uniforms.

(With a large part of the RO community being from the UK, (and even some Aussies/Kiwis), new voice cmds shoudl be easy to do..)

BTW: given the time for the coding/design/skinning/etc.. of your new actors (tanks/infantry), 3 mappers should probably be able more then just 3 levels... but it's a good start. :]

Sounds like this would be fun, best of luck :]

I'm a voice producer irl, worked on games like GTA, Timesplitters 2, Mafia to name a few...so i'll be able to record REAL brit voices no problem, unlike the crappy ones you hear in CoD2 which sound like their from the 1800s!

Your right, the german models will need reskinned...been looking at lots of pics and they are very different to the Eastern front..should have thought of this, i'll edit above

Upvote 0
Hey DirtRat i can help out as far as Historical stuff goes, i have a few books already and am willing to lend a hand as far as that goes. Bit of a ww2 buff so i'll do my best to keep it accurate as possible. I know most about weapons and tanks rather than battles but i'm willing to do the research.

As an example the first thing i noticed wrong about CoD2 was that the Brit's were using the M1A1 Thompson used exclusivly by the US Army not actually the 1928 model with the cutt's compensator and finned barrel

Also as i've been raised in Australia i can have a crack at some voice acting if needed + very detailed references of an Australian made SMLE

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This mod is a good idea because tank battles were very big in noth africa (el alamein, tobruk.....).

If you wan't i can create a FTP of 1gb with the name of the mod etc... what do you think a bout that ?
Then, 3 maps is not so much, if we wan't to make a good mod, 10 maps is the minimum.

Now just say me if you want a ftp (with a phpbb forum, a skin and a portal/website). If you want one, just tell me which name i can give to its ;)

Oh yes ! I forgot my CV :D
http://cazards.free.fr/mappinguo.htm (my maps for CoD : United Offensive)
http://swordmod.free.fr/ (a mod that we are working on for cod2)

See you later ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.