• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ok guys, I need your verdict on pros and cons

If your are into intense fps action, this is not the game. The infantry side of the game is more like rainbow six then say call of duty. The movements are a bit slow, but are realistic. Thats what alot of people like about the game is its tactical realism more then arcade style fps games where you run around and shoot anything that moves. I am more of a call of duty person myself, but this game is a nice change of pace. The tank warfare part is more of a love it or hate it. I personally love the tank stuff, many others disagree on this subject. The game has alot of bugs, but sense its through steam, updates will be on a some what regular basis, and all will be ironed out in due time. Also a major plus with the game, is the user feed back is actually heard and put forth. Look at the forums, almost every thread has at least one developer response, to me thats just amazing. Tripwire really seems like a great company with a bright future ahead of itself, and i am happy i purchased the game. Also the game is dirt cheap..even if you hate it, you are out what, a whole 25 bucks? If you like WWII games in general i say go for it, you really dont have much to lose.
All of this is coming from a complete sceptic, so i hope you get somthing out of my statements.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
gino23 said:
Since i couldn't find any reviews on the net yet, i just wanna know before i buy this game on steam, what are the pros and cons. No unbiased reviews please, just be honest as possible on what you think the pros and cons of this game are.

Unbias thoughts...

Not the best FPS I have ever played but its worth the $22 I paid.

Lots of players.

Graphics are dated.

Fun when playing maps w/o tanks.

Takes spells when netcode seems to be gorked.

Seems to be a few haXors but no more than expected.

Fun when playing maps w/o tanks.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My Thoughts.

Tanks are great! Great feature that was well implemented. (shame that Tank Hulls when they die dont clog up the battle area like in real wars for realism.)

Infantry is Weird. I get a semi High score..ie: i get to the objectives cover them, back up...but dont really kill all that much...so never feel as though i have done much....just being the extra man in away..just more practice prehaps..it might have to do with...

iron sights.. (IMHO the sight on the end of the gun is not clear enough (especially on the KAR..!!BAD!! i have to go 6 inchses away from the screen to see if i have the Crosshair on the victim.

Otherwise i like the AT rifle, sniper and Heavy MAchine gun (again though...you feel as though you have to put your face 6inchs up to the screen to see anything.
But the SMG and Stock rifle is a Real PITA to use.

So if you think you are going to have fun blazing awya with the SMG and rifle like in COD2 Forget about it.

Not that that is what i want...just that the iron sights are not even as clear as in COD IMHO...they just blend in to the scenary. Dont wory i have good eyesight.

Upvote 0
Pro's :
+Incredibly versatile engine.
+Extremely realistic gameplay.(Crawling for every inch at times, blitzkrieging for the next objective at others)
+Beautiful, large and detailed maps.
+Epic atmosphere.
+Teamplayers ahoy!
+Possibly the best feeling, looking and sounding tank system.
+Great weapon feel.
+Decals and physics (The look of the blood and gibbing and physics are just simply great)
+For such a low price, it's almost a steal

Con's :
-Occasional weird recoil system. (Sometimes shoots up as quick as lightning, sometimes doesen't even move and I'm a standing MG.)
-Some steam problems might occur.
-32 players might not be enough for some large maps.
-Some animations need work.
-Pings at around 160 and wizards invade the game. (Teleportations)
-Clipping issues.
-If you don't have 90 GB's of ram (To load the maps fast),you might be looking at a K98 or Mosin Nagant 30/91 80% of the time (Some maps give you more chances at different weapons and you can always steal the weapon of the guy you just killed)
(Personal Pro/Con : You see through walls at medium-long distances - Might be gfx card related [GeForce4 Mx420])

As you can see, totally unbiased :)

Upvote 0
Pr0phecy said:
-If you don't have 90 GB's of ram (To load the maps fast),you might be looking at a K98 or Mosin Nagant 30/91 80% of the time (Some maps give you more chances at different weapons and you can always steal the weapon of the guy you just killed)

Amen to that, if you dont have a great computer, dont expect to get the sniper class anytime soon (just follow one around and wait till he dies and snatch his gun)

I havnt had any trouble with bugs. My biggest complaint about the game is a few maps seem either poorely balanced (Ogsdenburg i think, I have yet to see a Red victory on that one) or too large (barashka? Big snow level with bridges, you would need at least 64 people to make that map interesting, its just way too large)

Upvote 0
I've played the mod version of RO for a couple of years, so getting the retail version was only natural. Since you probably have not played the previous version of this game I can only understand why you might be worrying about commiting to buying it. If you have played the mod, than RO OST has come along way.

First off it's only $25, that's not asking a lot for what your getting. THIS GAME IS A SIMULATION, so if that isn't your cup of tea than I wouldn't get it. The gameplay is slower compared to other FPS so like many before have said, don't expect to run around like rambo. Got a problem with bunny hoppers and such, good so do I. Can't do any of that stuff here.

It is a hard game to get the hang of but once you do, it will probably be the most rewarding experience you will have playing an FPS.

The graphics are dated....unless you have a high end computer. I'm fortunate enough to be able to run this game with everything maxed out, so IMO it honesty has no problem holding it's own against the usual suspects. But if your pretty hell bent on graphics and don't have a good computer expect to be a little dissapointed in that department.

This game has probably the best weapon models I have ever seen, especially the reloading animations. You want gore, you got that too, and it gets pretty nasty. I can't count how many times I've been wounded and actually been able to see blood squirt out and pepper objects and the ground around me. Never seen that in any game before. The rest in that department has already been explained in about a million other posts.

The physics on the ragdolls are truely the best out there right now, seriously!! And I had my doubts after being exposed to DOD and thinking that nothing could really beat the ragdoll physics in that game. This game does just that but unfortunatly your just going to have to experience that yourself.

The tank combat is unlike any other, especially in the combined infantry/armor maps. I mean when was the last time that you actually saw players moving alongside a tank and using it for cover? There are real moments like these, because guess what, it's very easy to die in this game so you natually do what you WOULD do in real life. There are a million moments like this that feel so very very real that it's quite scary actually.

Realistic ballistics. If you've seen the videos pay close attention to those tracer rounds because that's not modeled in any other game at the moment. It's small touches like that (that tripwire is known for) that makes the whole experience very complete. I mean these guys have even gone to the point where they offer some amazing historical reads that you can download and look over. Who else does that?

The sound is amazing in this game, period. From the sounds of tanks shells firing, to arty falling in the distance, RO delievers probably one of the few truely immersive atmospheres in a video game.

In terms of bugs I haven't noticed anything except for maybe some map exploit issues but that's all.

So there, even more to think about. The reason why I wrote all this because I think many people that are thinking the same thing will read your post. Trust me I'm not bs'ing at all. I've played all the WW2 shooters out there and I was even skeptical myself with the original mod, it actually took one of my buddy's to buy it before I committed myself. I really don't see how anyone can be dissapointed with this game unless you have a lot of negative issues with any of the above. Give it a go, it's only $25 bucks. That's the price of most budget titles out there and your getting nothing of that kind.

Upvote 0
cheeto101 said:
Amen to that, if you dont have a great computer, dont expect to get the sniper class anytime soon (just follow one around and wait till he dies and snatch his gun)

I havnt had any trouble with bugs. My biggest complaint about the game is a few maps seem either poorely balanced (Ogsdenburg i think, I have yet to see a Red victory on that one) or too large (barashka? Big snow level with bridges, you would need at least 64 people to make that map interesting, its just way too large)
It isn't about a good computer, it's about RAM.

When I had 1,5GB of PC-1066 RDRAM (Rambus, yes I know it's old) in my pc when I still played the 1.2 version, I could get in most servers where alot of 3GHz players with 512MB RAM and hell knows what kind of super expensive graphicscard they were using.
I could still pick some stuff while the others were loading the map.

I had a 1,4GHz Pentium 4, GeForce 4 MX440 and 1536MB RDRAM by then. ;)

Upvote 0
pros:
surrealistic combat. the simulation level is so high that you find things happening in game that are so realistic they are surreal.

good netcode. yes you can get a accurate headshot from 200m on a guy running. what you hit you kill.

good menu system. ie. finding friends and servers easily.

no major gameplay bugs. couple exploits on maps is about it. nothing like bf2 or Joint ops when released.

devs who care, the game has been sculpted from years of working with the community. its not just some speach worked up to make some V.P. warm and fuzzy.

cons:
unique gameplay. sometimes being to good can be bad.

makes you think. none of that point and shoot enemies that glow. this game makes you question nearly every movement for survival.

teamplay. you have to work as a team to win.

Upvote 0
DONT_SHOOT said:
pros:
surrealistic combat. the simulation level is so high that you find things happening in game that are so realistic they are surreal.

good netcode. yes you can get a accurate headshot from 200m on a guy running. what you hit you kill.

good menu system. ie. finding friends and servers easily.

no major gameplay bugs. couple exploits on maps is about it. nothing like bf2 or Joint ops when released.

devs who care, the game has been sculpted from years of working with the community. its not just some speach worked up to make some V.P. warm and fuzzy.

cons:
unique gameplay. sometimes being to good can be bad.

makes you think. none of that point and shoot enemies that glow. this game makes you question nearly every movement for survival.

teamplay. you have to work as a team to win.

Well I don't think if that's a bad thing :p
Maybe then when others don't want to play as a team.

Upvote 0
gino23 said:
No unbiased reviews please.

I'll assume you mean no biased reviews.

In that case...

Pros:

• RO runs well on most systems. But as others have said before, at least 1GB of RAM is needed.
  • I find the graphics to be quite good. Especially textures. Textures are consistently well done throughout the game.
  • Painstaking realism throughout, particularly in regard to weapons. Expect ironsights, manual bolting, deployable machineguns, fixable bayonets, etc.
  • The gameplay is perhaps the most impressive aspect of the game as a result of the lengths the developers have gone to to achieve realism. As others have said: "Other WWII games make you feel like you're in a WWII movie. RO makes you feel like you're in World War II."
  • Vehicular combat. Tanks and armoured vehicles are modelled as realistically as the weapons are.
  • Artillery is implemented very well. Players must first designate coordinates and then locate a radio to call in the fire mission. Shells then rain down on the target.
  • Maps are large and of a very high quality. Both indoor and outdoor environments are handelled well.
  • The ragdoll physics make fallen combatants behave in a very realistic manner. Explosions may cause dismemberment.
  • Quite playable up to a latency of ~200 ms.
Cons:

• Lack of recent graphics innovations such as bump mapping and advanced shader effects. Water effects are below average.
  • Perhaps the technology isn't ready, but I'd like to see larger maps with more players.
  • Load times. (This is not really an issue if you have at least 1GB of RAM.)
  • Movement animations appear a bit wooden.
  • It is not uncommon that new players are put off by the realism and pace of gameplay. Once players move beyond the learning curve stage, the experience is quite rewarding.

Upvote 0