• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROOST's illness

Byte Me

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Virginia, USA
Apparently ROOST suffers from HUMONGOUS flat map syndrome. Even with 32 players the maps are simply too big and way to flat (and eat fps for some people). It takes forever to get anywhere because most of the time you have to crawl or you will just be shot out right because of lack of cover (oh there is plenty in some maps, just not in useful spots). Then once you get into a good spot you either get completly surrounded (if you were with teammates you would have got spotted a long time ago) or tked (<-- happens to me in the best possible spots you could think of). Even the city maps are to big, odessa has tons of routes to get lost in and konigsplatz is basically 2 trenches with everything else being a kill zone. Most of this is due to the nature of the russian landscape, which is great for tanks, but snoozeville for infantry (maps like arad should be tank only, not even anti tank infantry). I suggest whenever the devs can get some maps out to us or ones from the community, that the infantry ones be in a set mostly in buildings and shooting over streets into other buildings. Of course some current maps could be changed, all Odessa needs is for the parts of it to be cut off until a obj gets capped, then it expands so you can get to the new obj but you can't go back all the way to the old russain spawn. I think konigsplatz simply needs to lose that middle obj, screws up the flow of that map, I also think tanks are ill suited for it. Yes I know its not as realistic to have small maps, but its fun over realism here. Hell the map were the germans start in a big open field and the russians start in a maze of trenches is fun once the germans have that first objective (capping it is such a PITA).

I completely agree to Mansteins post!
Its exactly what I love about the game and you'll get used to it.
As soon as you know the maps a little better and know how to move
around this will be one feature you'll love.
Flank attacks, freedom of choice where to go and not being forced to the same chokepoint over and over again... thats RO! :)
Some maps are even to small now, for example hedgehog... where have the long distance riflefights gone?

Upvote 0
Agree with Mainstein, and anyone ever been to russia knows how flat it really is, actually in some respects the maps are too hilly to reality LOL.

If you want close combat fights I suggest choosing StalingradKessel Personally I hate it, it reminds me too much of COD, CSS and the other clones. ROOST is a stand out game as far as realistic maps.

Upvote 0
i said this in another this in another thread further down but i think its relevant here i honestly think game needs this on the pub servers i think my suggestion would cut down on confusion no end http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3435
Please dont dismiss because its unrealistic it would merely compensate for the fact we cant have clan like communication in pub server. Scroll down i was the last to reply.

Upvote 0
LOL I'm with mani on this one. The maps are just fine, you are 2 days into playing the game, it will get better as people learn. (you sure as hell need that central objective on konigs...) I really dont understand what the problem is with huge maps, find a teammate and stick togehter.

Hell, on konigs 3 of us stgers were all over in that one sandbagged area near the spotlight, that was awesome and it was on a "big huge map". I honestly think you will adjust.

Upvote 0
I think you guys missed my point a little, the first part about the huge flat maps was kinda just a rant. But at the same time, more city maps please. There were some good city maps in the mod, of course my memory being as it is I can't remember there names :rolleyes:. Anyway there is one that stuck out, it was a all about this plaza in the middle of the map, it was very hard to take and then hold, because it lacked cover. With a little reworking it could be a fine addition. Also we could have a mix of both city and open space, there could be a map that is set on the edge of a city (think hedgehog, but with a lot more buildings for russians and no trenches, just crap load more cover for the germans). I do believe arad would be more fun if the spawns got reworked a little and the germans couldn't recap the towns (those should be the only 2, whats the point of capping a field?). So the map starts off with half the german team (or whatever, seems about right since there is a lot of tanks to fill in that map) in the first town trying to repel the russians long enough for their tanks to help them out. It will be a anti tankers dream, Panzerfausts will be flying everywhere, then you could turn it around so the russians start in the towns the next round. Then we will truly see the power of SPW 251 :D.

Upvote 0
My suggestion to you sir:

Start making your own map along the lines you're talking about.

I think the devs did a great job of having plenty of different styles of maps in the original release, including city, country, mountain, and everthing in-between. I'm sure later additions will continue in that tradition. The mod version had plenty of city/CQC maps and I'm sure they will be in abundance as the devs and the community roll out new maps. So I say if you want a particular style of map, then dive into the tutorials and start making them your way. I'm sure everyone will support you in your efforts. Good luck!

Upvote 0