• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

You can hear a tank bullet approaching.

Capmatt

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006
Florida, USofA
I was watching Death Machine's beta video footage on the "Arad" map.....(by the way, great videos of the beta footage, for all you testers out there. Thank you)....I noticed that when ever a tank round was flying at the player or by the player in game you could here the tank round approaching. This should not be. Most tank bullets and rifle bullets travel faster than the speed of sound. You should NOT be able to hear the bullet until AFTER it goes by.

I find this very disturbing.
:D

Is it difficult to model doppler shift and the speed of sound in game?

It would be great if sound delay and such could be added. The only game I've seen it in is Lock On: Modern Air Combat. I remember when Half Life 2 was being developed they had planned on delaying the sound from distant explosions, but took it out because practically everyone who tested the game thought it was a bug. In a realism-oriented game, it would be great to see this (although IMO it's a pretty low priority).

Upvote 0
1 3 3 said:
I remember the sound being delayed from distant explosions in HL2...?

at least i think so, in sp

They used EAX style effects to make some pretty impressive echoes, which made it sound distant, but they never actually delayed sounds, with the possible exception of those combine electrical ball things getting thrown into the water. Gunshots and such were never delayed, nor grenade explosions.

Upvote 0
The End said:
Are the tank shells supersonic? I didn't think they would be....
Below second illustration is a table for the Kwk 36 88mm Gun on the Tiger.

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/quarters/4635/tanks/tiger1/tiger1.htm

In this next site is a speed of sound calculator. Put in the number 15 in the first box so it reads 15 Celsius. That is considered "Standard Temperature". That will give you the speed of sound in Meters Per Second, Feet Per Second, and Miles Per Hour.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/sound/souspe.html

It will show you that the speed of sound is 762mph at sea level at 15degrees Celcius (59F).
The PzGr 40 has a muzzle velocity of 930mps. Thats 3051 fps OR over 2000 mph.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Snort said:
They used EAX style effects to make some pretty impressive echoes, which made it sound distant, but they never actually delayed sounds, with the possible exception of those combine electrical ball things getting thrown into the water. Gunshots and such were never delayed, nor grenade explosions.

actually with source engine... the distant sounds... are prerecorded

the explosions in HL2 and DoD:S and the weapon firing sounds in DoD:S are all stereo files

left channel is the close up sound right channel is distant

at medium distances the 2 sounds are mixed

Upvote 0
Capmatt said:
Below second illustration is a table for the Kwk 36 88mm Gun on the Tiger.

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/quarters/4635/tanks/tiger1/tiger1.htm

In this next site is a speed of sound calculator. Put in the number 15 in the first box so it reads 15 Celsius. That is considered "Standard Temperature". That will give you the speed of sound in Meters Per Second, Feet Per Second, and Miles Per Hour.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/sound/souspe.html

It will show you that the speed of sound is 762mph at sea level at 15degrees Celcius (59F).
The PzGr 40 has a muzzle velocity of 930mps. Thats 3051 fps OR over 2000 mph.

you don't really need a calc...you can basically get the speed of sound with 331 + .6x celcius = V

although, this is in m/s so it might be faster to use the calc

Upvote 0
If you remember that scene in Saving Private Ryan in which the American sniper kills the German sniper (putting a bullet through his scope into his eye, no less!), it illustrates the concept of the speed of sound vs. light.

In the scene, we see the perspective of the German, and he sees the American, but a split-second later, we see a muzzle flash, without any sound. We don't actually hear the noise of the firing until the German slumps over dead. This is because three things hit the German, in this order:

1) The light from the event
2) The bullet
3) Finally, the sound (but he was dead by then)

Upvote 0
I REALLY HOPE THEY IMPLIMENT THIS!

it would be a "subtle" detail that would add Alot of depth and im actually surprised its not yet part of it.

Please Please Devs! put this in!

on a second fun note i remember when i saw an A-10 at a firing range as it opend fire above us (almost literally) you could see the smoke and hear a bvvvvvvp then you would look at the target and what seemed like seconds you would later see the ground rip up around it.

ps: it was awsome! (A-10 is one of my fav planes)

Upvote 0
max million said:
Perhaps the first bullet had already whizzed by you, and you heard it as the second one approached. You will only see the tracer rounds, and they are usually 1 out of 5 or so.

No, Im talking about the big gun. Not the coaxial MG mounted next to the cannon.
There were other cannon shots flying by as they went to other targets. But the sounds they made seemed to coincide with them as they flew by and not the shots coming at the tank in the video.

Upvote 0