• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Most Important Game Improvement

As for this peripheral indicators "playing the game for me" that is an absurd reach of infinite proportions. Some seem to forget that we all have the choice of paying attention to the indicators or ignoring them. This is far from the "Most Important Game Improvement". In fact, its the least IMHO.​

The lowest-common-denominator argument. The one ignoring the indicators is the superstar of a retard football league. Well played, sir, well played.

Upvote 0
My bet is that the people committed to this title for the last 6 years want them gone, and see them as unfortunate.
Speak for yourself. I've been playing RO since the mod days and I have no problem with the idea of PV indications. The implementation in RO2 could use a little tweaking but that's all. There's lots of stuff that's really quite broken in the game - but these aren't it.

Besides, how can they make the game require less skill when they actually make it harder? It's like you only play the game when shooting other people, but every time you get shot that somehow doesn't count?

Reactions: DiscoCat
Upvote 0
I understand that you feel very strongly about this topic, factor... but...

Is it really THE most important game improvement?

~~~~~

And as far as your criticism of it, saying that it removes the need to be situationally aware and that it causes the computer to play the game for you...

--If it is fixed to show friendlies AND enemies, you gain the need to be sure whether that movement in the corner of your eye is a friend or foe.:IS2:

--If it is fixed to show only movement within 75m, you are forced to be aware of distant enemies.

--If they are made more subtle, you need to notice them in the first place to react.

--If they are fixed to not function through smoke, you will need to rely on greater awareness to see the enemy.

--If they show up as "false alarms" from time to time, you will learn to rely less on the indicators as they may distract you at inopportune moments.

There! All of a sudden, you need to be more situationally aware than before, and the advantage of pheripheral vision is significantly reduced. If some or all of these fixes are implemented, the pheripheral indicators will only alert you when an enemy or friendly is moving just off-screen at fairly close range--thus acting just like your natural perception of motion. You'll still be completely blind from behind--it will still be more than possible to flank, sneak up on someone, etc...:)

Belittling those who support the idea of pheripheral indicators and implying that they need computer assistance to succeed in any game is laughable. Considering that we all chose to play Red Orchestra, a game with no hitscan bullets, no aim-assist, no regenerating health, no motion detecting minimap, no ammunition indicator, no crosshair, no perks, and no hit indicators, we're clearly not the crowd that needs any UNREALISTIC digital assistance.:IS2:

Humans have peripheral vision. That's a fact. I respect your FPS experience, but every other game out there, including RO: Ostfront 41-45, is wrong in limiting your field of vision to 75 degrees. RO2 still limits your FOV, but just adds a natural advantage humanity has evolved to possess and further the survival of its individuals. It's something that SHOULD be included in a simulator. IMO, it should be in more combat flight simulators too--you still have to check your six, but if you overshot that ME-109 and are now coasting beside it, you're going to see it in the corner of your eye in real life.

Peripheral vision has seen us primates through 65 million years of natural history. Heck, given our relatively poor eyesight, terrible sense of smell, laughable claws, unimpressive teeth, unarmored flesh, and relatively slow land speed compared to most non-primate, four-limbed mammals of similar size, it's far from an insignificant advantage.

Upvote 0