• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hits not registering

I've seen that as well, typically when the server is lagging for some reason. Thank you for answering my questions btw.

Well I'm not working on a fix, I'm QA :p but the programmers do know about it.

Thanks for answering my question Thunderkat :).

But the server wasn't lagging, at least not in any noticeable way.

So the bug seems to show like this (if it is indeed one bug):

-Hitting someone, no hit sound heard, no bullet reaches the target or bullets fly through target

-Hitting someone, there is a hit sound, the bullet reaches the target and should kill him but that information doesn't reach the server/target
(this seems to be the case too for melee attacks that don't hit)

Reactions: CaseyHairyback
Upvote 0
2011122000006.jpg

Here is an image of a hit not registering correctly. The situation is as follows: the enemy is about 220-230 meters away and I have dialed in the range, fired about 10 bullets but not a single hit. I didn't miss, because before that I sniped a bunch of enemies there.

It also can't be the custom map's fault because this is the first time I've played one.

But anyway I doubt the picture is very clear so I'll take another one.

I know this one: On that map the bushes in the scope have a blocking effect on the shot but you might not see a bullet hole appear in the bush - it happened to me with the area slightly above the bushes setting off HE rounds from the tank. if the bushes weren't there you would have had the kill.

Ogledow is a terrific map and well worth playing but it is still being tweaked. Edit: There seems to be an imaginary line between the highest points of the bushes that acts as a blocked out solid area even though it is clear to the eye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know this one: On that map the bushes in the scope have a blocking effect on the shot but you might not see a bullet hole appear in the bush - it happened to me with the area slightly above the bushes setting off HE rounds from the tank. if the bushes weren't there you would have had the kill.

Ogledow is a terrific map and well worth playing but it is still being tweaked. Edit: There seems to be an imaginary line between the highest points of the bushes that acts as a blocked out solid area even though it is clear to the eye.

But I shot a bunch of enemies through those bushes just before I tried shooting that enemy. It's definitely the bug.

Upvote 0
You guys are looking in the wrong direction. It has nothing to do with cover or bushes blocking shots. I've had in countless different situations

BTW: the enemy is holding an AT gun not an MG but I get what you say.

Here you go:
2011123100001.jpg

A better screenshot I can not take. I shot a whole clip of MP40 bullets at this enemy that was right in front of me. A whole clip (!!!!) and only around the 20th or so bullet did it finally hit him. It was no bot, it was a live player, no bots on the server and my ping was 48.

Please fix this

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
You guys are looking in the wrong direction. It has nothing to do with cover or bushes blocking shots. I've had in countless different situations

BTW: the enemy is holding an AT gun not an MG but I get what you say.

Here you go:

{{image}}

A better screenshot I can not take. I shot a whole clip of MP40 bullets at this enemy that was right in front of me. A whole clip (!!!!) and only around the 20th or so bullet did it finally hit him. It was no bot, it was a live player, no bots on the server and my ping was 48.

Please fix this

The guy you are shooting at is using the cover system and he is in a trench. I am a bit puzzled how you can conclude that "we are looking in the wrong direction".

Upvote 0
Another problem, not related to the cover system or the trenches, but related to the hit registering problem is suppression. As far as I can see the supression currently implemented is actually very substantial, but the graphical representation, as compared to DH for example, is very inadequate. So while supression actually has a great effect, someone shooting at you while you shoot at them causing your shots to weer wildly out of course, but it actually shows the normal graphics, your gun pointing directly at the target, but your shots are actually going on a very different course. This is just something I have noticed occurring very often, especially against mgs or snipers, or smgs on closer range. This could give the impression to some that they actually hit, while in actually they didn't.

This is something occurring independendely to the actual hit box issues as described in the previous posts in this thread. Introducing better graphics, I suggest something similar to DH, when the player experiences suppression effects, would at least alleviate this problem.

Upvote 0
The guy you are shooting at is using the cover system and he is in a trench. I am a bit puzzled how you can conclude that "we are looking in the wrong direction".

Yes the guy in that image was using cover indeed.

But as I said I had this bug happen in countless different occasions when there was no cover or trenches in play. (As a matter of fact I had this bug happen more when there is no cover used than when there is)

Look at the second image I posted, the enemy was standing right in front of me... yet the hits didn't register either.

Upvote 0
Another problem, not related to the cover system or the trenches, but related to the hit registering problem is suppression. As far as I can see the supression currently implemented is actually very substantial, but the graphical representation, as compared to DH for example, is very inadequate. So while supression actually has a great effect, someone shooting at you while you shoot at them causing your shots to weer wildly out of course, but it actually shows the normal graphics, your gun pointing directly at the target, but your shots are actually going on a very different course. This is just something I have noticed occurring very often, especially against mgs or snipers, or smgs on closer range. This could give the impression to some that they actually hit, while in actually they didn't.

This is something occurring independendely to the actual hit box issues as described in the previous posts in this thread. Introducing better graphics, I suggest something similar to DH, when the player experiences suppression effects, would at least alleviate this problem.

I'll keep my eye out for that. But most of the situations go like this:

1) Enemy doesn't see me
2) I have a clear shot
3) I take the shot, aim straight at him, should have hit
4) I do or do not hear a hit sound
5) Enemy is not hit
6) Enemy turns around and shoots me

In other words: the suppresion effect doesn't come into play because I try to sneak up on my enemies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anybody else had this happen ?

You are shot and the screen flashes red,
on-screen text displays and it says that you are bleeding and need to heal
your character in your hud shows you where you hit
but before you get the chance to heal, the wound has suddenly vanished and ctrl does nothing anymore.

I've had this happen all in all I think 3 times. Maybe that is a cause (could be multiple causes) of the problem. Not that the hits don't register but a bug in the healing system ?

Upvote 0

but before you get the chance to heal, the wound has suddenly vanished and ctrl does nothing anymore.

I've had this happen all in all I think 3 times. Maybe that is a cause (could be multiple causes) of the problem. Not that the hits don't register but a bug in the healing system ?

Yes, I have this often it seems. Sometimes I also occurs and I press ctrl, but it activates the cover system instead, when I then uncover I am no longer in need of bandaging. Though I have also experienced it the way you describe, where it just disappears for seemingly no reason.

Upvote 0
On that map the bushes in the scope have a blocking effect on the shot but you might not see a bullet hole appear in the bush - it happened to me with the area slightly above the bushes setting off HE rounds from the tank.

None of the bushes should have any kind of collision on or above them, if you come across one please let us know.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have this often it seems. Sometimes I also occurs and I press ctrl, but it activates the cover system instead, when I then uncover I am no longer in need of bandaging. Though I have also experienced it the way you describe, where it just disappears for seemingly no reason.

I had that too. Thinking I was sure to die because I went into cover instead of healing but I was just fine.

Upvote 0
I have a question for you fellas...
So a number of you have fired a clip at an enemy 2-3 meters away or less and had nothing happen, until the enemy turns and looks at you funny and kills you.
Who has seen the reverse of this? You'd turn and find someone firing right at you 2-3 meters away or less but you are not taking damage, you shoot at the firing player and kill him. If you have seen this please let me know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question for you fellas...
So a number of you have fired a clip at an enemy 2-3 meters away or less and had nothing happen, until the enemy turns and looks at you funny and kills you.
Who has seen the reverse of this? You'd turn and find someone firing right at you 2-3 meters away or less but you are not taking damage, you shoot at the firing player and kill him. If you have seen this please let me know.

It didn't happen to me when I first reported this bug but now that I take more notice as to how I kill someone and how I get killed I had like 3-4 situation where I thought: I really should have died here. I was firing at the enemy just the same as he was firing at me, both standing in the open, only I walked away unscratched.

Also there has been a couple of situations where I got hurt and ran away, jumped over something or as Gudenrath said, pressed ctrl and got into cover and I was suddenly healed.

So yeah I've definitely encountered the reverse of the situation too ;)

Upvote 0

Yes, I see this quite often and not just at close ranges. It's particularly noticeable when the hit is on the torso - which should be lethal - but instead of dying or even needing to eat a magic bandage, I just "get better".

Ping generally around 100, except when the server is spiking. I have not been able to notice a useful pattern to it I'm afraid.

Upvote 0