• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your cussing opinion

hanky

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2011
Ok so I want to know peoples opinion on cussing in game.

First I want to say I understand you pay for the server and can make the rules. I get it ( but not many servers to choose from and I payed for this awesome game to play )

So I want to know why people are not allowed to cuss on your server. (Honestly, please give me a reason I really want to know)

The game has some of the most violent content in a game. People literally get blown to pieces...yet a word offends you.

How can you not be ok with and offended by cussing, yet killing people doesn't bother you?

Ok so this isn't me just B wording (see not cussing) about this.

I have a solution.

Why not make cussing filters client side only? You can turn it default on if you like. (of course this won't work for VOIP)

But if you say a "dirty" word, it filters it out on the player's side who doesn't want to hear it. VS filtering it out on every ones end & kicking/banning them.

Until I see the server admins posting on the forums about how they want TWI to take out terms like "...Sh**ting his pants." and "D*mn this gun!" I don't want to hear anything from them. Sure these aren't the worst words and I wouldn't dare dispute someone being punished for verbally attacking another player, but it's just silly to expect, for example, a parent to have their child in the room while they play this game (whilst killing and blowing up virtual people mind you) while their character is swearing, and then as soon as a pubby 'drops a (add your favourite swear here) bomb' he kicks/bans them. It's a bit much. I'm not here to tell people how to parent or what not to be offended by, but I will call out hypocrisies when I see them.

Unless I'm unaware of an on and off switch somewhere in the Options>Audio menu, swearing happens without anyone's say. Your avatar swears at random.
I personally think that this is just ANOTHER reason that adding in an option in the menus to add native speech is a good idea. (Perhaps we should call it "Turn off bad voice acting" :p )

That being said, I too am a firm believe that the ones who pay for the servers make the rules. I have found myself cussing in servers that aren't my own, with server msgs saying not to... but usually that's by mistake and I will always give respect to any player that doesn't give me a reason otherwise, and apologize for my slip-ups.

EDIT:
And to Hanky's comment. I believe that there is a server option... correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember being in a server where my swears were blocked in chat?

PS
TripWire... Please don't take out the pants sh**ting :3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I mean't a client side filter. Meaning if I have it off, I can cuss and see peoples cussing. Vs if I had it ON I wouldn't.

That way people who don't want to see this don't have to and people who don't mind can.

And yeah, I'm all for your own rules, but some of these Admin's are abusing there power and being a little "SILLY" with there power.

Upvote 0
Yeah I mean't a client side filter. Meaning if I have it off, I can cuss and see peoples cussing. Vs if I had it ON I wouldn't.

That way people who don't want to see this don't have to and people who don't mind can.

And yeah, I'm all for your own rules, but some of these Admin's are abusing there power and being a little "SILLY" with there power.

Aye, silly they can be... but to me that's just an indication of a server that I may not want to return to.
Again, I do believe that there are indeed server option set up for blocking the bleeps that players throw down in the chat. I'm pretty sure I remember that from one of the first few weeks in RO2 (Correct me if I'm wrong someone). But I haven't exactly been dedicating much time to RO2 since release and when I do I mostly stick to servers that prefer realism and seem to be a bit more lax on general cussing.

Upvote 0
Yeah, its ****ing ridiculous. Anyone remember 29th ID server from DH? It's hilarious because you could have your player swear by using the voice commands, but typing it will get you kicked. And if you ever bring it up with the admins why their stupid rule exists, they will tell you that if you don't like it you can play somewhere else. It's almost like parental logic that gets used on a child. Can never understand it.

Upvote 0
On this one, I'm with previous posters. That is, any swearing that is NOT aimed at other players, is absolutely fine by me. We're mostly adults playing this game, and it's a war game. If you have kids in the room, stop playing the damn man-shoot games, or get some headphones. If swearing in competitive gaming situations upsets you - turn off the PC, and never, ever fire up a game again. Ever. Definitely don't consider playing Bulletstorm.

To be honest, as much as I agree with some server rules, those automatic server messages really get on my nerves sometimes. It's like 1984, with Big Brother watching you and pre-empting any non-conformist thoughts you may be having :) Some of them make sense - such as "no spawn camping" - totally fair enough. Most others simply amount to "this is our server, and we've decided these false limitations make the game better". Well, if that's the case, password the server and play with your own damn clan and special invitees only please :)

Upvote 0
From what I have seen, most of the time cussing involves players insulting one another. Its usually spammed in the text chat and is very juvenile including all kinds of sexual acts, racism etc.

If the server owners want to, as far as I am concerned boot them off.

The occasional "Oh s&!t I'm sorry I shot you" is easier to forgive than the examples above for obvious reasons.

Upvote 0
I believe some people that run servers like to have uneccesary rules just to have something to do. It's like hypocrites who say ''This is a family server. Please watch your language or you may be banned.''.

I have to agree with you on this one. I got in a debate in the Steam forums over admins on a server banning another forum goer for swearing.... and their defense was "Would you want your 12 year old son coming onto our server and hearing that kind of talk?"

My response was that I'd be more worried about my 12 year old playing a game depicting gore, war, violence, body parts blowing off & overall meant for adults..... than them going onto a server and hearing words they've probably heard plenty of times already in their everyday lives & most likely from their own friends at school.

Swearing is already in the game as some here already noted by the sound bytes in RO2 of the Russians and Germans.....

I understand someone constantly swearing all the time.... there is a level where it just becomes annoying... but swear words are just words..... if they're calling other players racist, homophobic or sexist terms, that too is perhaps crossing a line.... but saying "Sh*t" or something like that when you died from doing something stupid or someone got the upper hand on you, I don't see any issue with that.

Upvote 0
This isn't to do with kids or morality - it's to do with getting on and playing the game. If you allow swearing, then you end up with name-calling and we all know how that spirals out of hand. People (actually probably the "kids" who aren't supposed to own the game) love to hide behind their keyboards and slag off each other's mothers. They're not then playing and they're spamming the text/voice chat so others can't play properly.

If it's clear that swearing at each other won't be tolerated, then this doesn't arise and you have a good playing environment

Upvote 0
This isn't to do with kids or morality - it's to do with getting on and playing the game. If you allow swearing, then you end up with name-calling and we all know how that spirals out of hand. People (actually probably the "kids" who aren't supposed to own the game) love to hide behind their keyboards and slag off each other's mothers. They're not then playing and they're spamming the text/voice chat so others can't play properly.

If it's clear that swearing at each other won't be tolerated, then this doesn't arise and you have a good playing environment

Agreed 100%. If you can't enjoy your favourite game ( or any game ) without using foul or abusive language, then it is you that has a problem, not the server admins :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed 100%. If you can't enjoy your favourite game ( or any game ) without using foul or abusive language, then it is you that has a problem, not the server admins :rolleyes:

The matter is not as black and white as you're making it out to be :) I occasionally have a "sh*t!" moment when I've done something stupid - this absolutely does not translate to abusing other players, for ANY reason :) Hell, I don't even do "pwned!" when I win a round - I say "well played, unlucky" to the other team and that's it.

Basically, what you're saying here is that these rules exist for those people who DO abuse each other, and happen to swear while they're doing it. It has nothing to do with actual swearing - which the vast majority of the adult population (including server admins!) does regularly - it is simply the fact that these people who abuse each other are idiots. That they swear while they're doing it, is simply inevitable (Mr Anderson).

Now I'm sorry, but since the RO community seems to be largely mature - and I haven't personally seen a single instance of racism or "your mother" references outside of screen-shots on the forum - this is applying rules to the majority, to handle the minority. Which basically sucks, in pretty much every context it can be applied. If the messages only stated "racism = kick, your mother = kick" then I'd be pleased as punch - but swearing has absolutely nothing to do with that kind of behaviour, and does not at all indicate that you're dealing with that kind of person.

Upvote 0
So just because we're blowing players up and firing white-hot bits of virtual metal at each other you think it's acceptable to have some child shouting his mouth off, throwing words like 'f4g' around and trying to look big by using expletives? Don't you realise it makes you look like a complete tool?

In my day to day life, I swear a lot. Often too much. But even then I know when I swear amongst friends or in my own home - never in public, I know it's not the same as some little cretin in a server throwing offensive words at someone for whatever (usually, unjustified) reason. And that's the point. It's not because swearing is universally socially rude (which it is, btw), it's because if there was no rule, you'd get children and dip-sh*t adults cussing expletives for 20 minutes instead of shutting the hell up and playing the game. It ruins the atmosphere, knowing you're inhabiting the same virtual space as some mentally inept moron who needs to call the entire world a 'f*cking idiot*.

So instead of you whining about server admin's and their rules, how about you just respect them and play the game without acting like a buffoon trying to look big through using offensive words?

Swear all you like to yourself, I do - just don't break rules that are there to try and stop people offending other people.

Upvote 0