• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Balancing the Colt Python

perk: it's totally a sharpshooter gun.
tier3... it's a big caliber gun... big damage, big recoil...

i don't have much to say about this gun, i love it.. but the sound of the shoot it's too weak, when you shot big revolvers like this one the sound is powerful also produces a big echo effect.

I'd agree, but if you make it an ss gun you have to have sh*tty base damage so that its headshot damage isn't thru the roof... and to take away the body damage would make the gun soooo lame. with demo you can use it as an SS with the ss's general perkage.

Upvote 0
There will be a new sounds and animations in the works along with some other tweaks.

Hab brings up a good point in regards to the damage for SS.

But you've got to remember that anything that is specific in the perk to a weapon (discount/damage/ammo) is coded perk side. Which I can't touch unless it's implemented in a custom perk for Marco's Server Perks.

Upvote 0
I'd agree, but if you make it an ss gun you have to have sh*tty base damage so that its headshot damage isn't thru the roof... and to take away the body damage would make the gun soooo lame. with demo you can use it as an SS with the ss's general perkage.

LAR has 140 damage and a 2x headshot multiplier. Thus 280 damage on unperked headshot. Level 6 can barely stun the Scrake with a headshot (it deals like 5 or 6 damage more than the stun-treshold)

Colt Python could have 265 damage and a 1.1x hs-multipler. That's 291 damage on a headshot offperk, and 699 damage for a level 6 Sharpshooter which is just a little bit more than the damage of a LAR headshot (and thus able to stun a Scrake with a headshot). But the 265 bodyshotdamage, perked as unperked, is enough to oneshot even a HoE Clot (plus stalker and crawler ofc) and strong enough to 3-shot a Siren or Gorefast with bodyshots. Is that good enough for you? :)

Upvote 0
LAR has 140 damage and a 2x headshot multiplier. Thus 280 damage on unperked headshot. Level 6 can barely stun the Scrake with a headshot (it deals like 5 or 6 damage more than the stun-treshold)

Colt Python could have 265 damage and a 1.1x hs-multipler. That's 291 damage on a headshot offperk, and 699 damage for a level 6 Sharpshooter which is just a little bit more than the damage of a LAR headshot (and thus able to stun a Scrake with a headshot). But the 265 bodyshotdamage, perked as unperked, is enough to oneshot even a HoE Clot (plus stalker and crawler ofc) and strong enough to 3-shot a Siren or Gorefast with bodyshots. Is that good enough for you? :)

Certainly good enough to warrant play testing.

Upvote 0
i'd like to say, NO to demoman or support, this is a sharpshooting weapon, it has all to be: slow to reload, limited ammo, slow firing...

if demo has it, you make that "strong" perk onto a multipurpose perk w/o weakness (short range) and thus unbalancing.

support already has it's stuff, and a revolver isn't going to change a lot of its play style... maybe add 4 him m249 or m60 xD not a revolver. if he needs to gun down something he could have the HC or akimboed HC.

maybe other perk who could use it: medic... maybe zerker... but that's doubtful xD..

just sharpshooter.

i liked this revolver couse it has that "little push" the HC lacked for some situations as a side weapon in harder difficulties...

maybe i would cut down the ammo cap to 6+30 or 6+24 if kept as powerful, or maybe left it 6+40 but each bullet it's expensive? 25-30 credits? this in sharpshooter's scenario, wich the weapon would be veeery powerful

if goes to demo, it shouldn't have the m32 interruptible reloading, or! have less accuracy.

my humble opinion.

Reactions: halbridious
Upvote 0
I haven't forgotten about this thread. Just been distracted.

i'd like to say, NO to demoman or support, this is a sharpshooting weapon, it has all to be: slow to reload, limited ammo, slow firing...

if demo has it, you make that "strong" perk onto a multipurpose perk w/o weakness (short range) and thus unbalancing.

support already has it's stuff, and a revolver isn't going to change a lot of its play style... maybe add 4 him m249 or m60 xD not a revolver. if he needs to gun down something he could have the HC or akimboed HC.

maybe other perk who could use it: medic... maybe zerker... but that's doubtful xD..

just sharpshooter.

i liked this revolver couse it has that "little push" the HC lacked for some situations as a side weapon in harder difficulties...

maybe i would cut down the ammo cap to 6+30 or 6+24 if kept as powerful, or maybe left it 6+40 but each bullet it's expensive? 25-30 credits? this in sharpshooter's scenario, wich the weapon would be veeery powerful

if goes to demo, it shouldn't have the m32 interruptible reloading, or! have less accuracy.

my humble opinion.

Couple of people have brought up that it negates the demo's weakness. But my argument to that is where is the zerkers or supports weaknesses? And my god man the last thing the support needs is a machine gun.

"slow to reload, limited ammo, slow firing..." sharpshooter? LAR, M14 and handcannon are spam machines. And you have enough ammo for all. And he has enough weapons. lol

Example Demo loadout. M32 + (Pipes) + Colt. thats approx 60 rounds. EXPENSIVE rounds.

Upvote 0
Yes its powerfull...

Yes I dont care...lol

Nah seriously...the sound needs a little boost (Brink hint hint :) )
And the fact you can cap a Scrake way too easy might be a problem for TWI to whitelist it. Reducing the penetration and damage would be a start, and the recoil animation needs to be more like Boom massive kickback and then slowly lower to aim possition. Its a bit stiff atm. Make the recoil and fire animation faster, and the gun in power and damage lower.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAzathoth
Upvote 0
See, personally, i like the idea of a gunslinger, because it could be perked for spam gunning, which i love doing, but you can't do as a good ss. If your an ss, your carefully popping heads, not bodyshots - gunslingers would have reload and dmg bonuses, maybe a movement bonus, and be more like a zerker with pistols - Definately nothing like the SS.
IMO.

I still like demo for this gun, but it does need MASSIVE recoil - and Hemi's right - brink sounds are a good try for this, they are very manly :p

Upvote 0
I haven't forgotten about this thread. Just been distracted.

Couple of people have brought up that it negates the demo's weakness. But my argument to that is where is the zerkers or supports weaknesses? And my god man the last thing the support needs is a machine gun.

"slow to reload, limited ammo, slow firing..." sharpshooter? LAR, M14 and handcannon are spam machines. And you have enough ammo for all. And he has enough weapons. lol

Example Demo loadout. M32 + (Pipes) + Colt. thats approx 60 rounds. EXPENSIVE rounds.

yeah mate, i meaned that demo it's the artillery of the team.. if he had this powerful gun he should no be scared if the scrake or something escapes the pipes or nades or whatever...

by adding a m60 to the support i was meaning a new weapon that makes him change his playing style... no to overpower him!.. as a weakness for him you can count short to medium efective range and relatively slow reloading weapons... if you add the revolver for him, it would be just like the handcannon

but you could say.. well... sharp has his own HC to do the job, but i think the revolver can be just that little bit of sharpshooting side weapon that the hc lacks: slower to reload/shoot than HC, no akimboable, veeery reduced ammo cap so really need to aim carefully (oh crap!!! i missed!!! $30-wasted-sensation haha xD). the very grace of sharpshooter is to be "surgical" as a perk, doing the right thing in the right moment, so if u miss, you say "oops sorry!"

cheers!

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Such an awesome gun and so fun to play with! I'm not really good with all the techy input of balancing and what have you, but it just feels so much like a sharpshooter weapon to me(feels slow and powerful) and not a demo. Especially so now that the demo has a weapon for in your face combat, yet with a launcher that still makes the weapon feel like it's a demo gun.

Upvote 0
2012 calling, we want our upgraded Python.

In all seriousness, I didn't know that you were plotting a standing upgrade to the Python. I also didn't know that was your first weapon. For a first attempt, it's very well done.

I'm not so interested in putting it either for Sharpie or Demo, actually (though I would pick Sharpie), so much as I'm interested in seeing it tied into ScrnBalance as a Gunslinger weapon. Perhaps even make it give you Cowboy mode even though it isn't akimbo, just because it could actually benefit from the raised fire cap, unlike most of the other pistols.

Upvote 0
No more weapons to sharp, he has enough to choose. Giving it to demolitions was a best idea. Its better not to whitelist this weapon, cos total rebalancing needs to implement it to classic balance of kf, and its idea would be lost.

But if need to whitelist, I suggest give 600 cost, without any discount (like winch and cross, cos it supposed to be useful for every perk), 300 dmg and 1.34 headshot mult. Demo can have damage bonus for it, but u need make scrakes immune to stun from colt, this way it will be balanced, as I think.

And notice - you can make most of perk bonuses, without a rewriting perk code. At least, you can assign damage, penetration, reload bonus without rewriting perk at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0