• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ogledow

Yes it`s the old feeling again :)

But i wanted to start this map with bots. Map starts with them but
they are falling dead.

Yup, same here. The bots come in and die. Respawn and die. And again. And... Got a lot of weapons to choose from this way ;) (bot no one to shoot at)

Hope to see this map soon running on any server :)

Reactions: The Beast (nl)
Upvote 0
PHEW! The file is already 70mb in size,adding all that stuff will make it huge.:(

edit: just checked RedOctoberFactory is 250mb, so Ogledow is just a baby yet..lol

250mb? In RO1 you could download the maps from the servers during the loading screen. Those there were usually 40-50mb and took some time and burdened the server with lag. What does 250mb mean for servers in RO2? Don't the servers also have to pay more because people download through them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You will always need to have the map loaded on your PC to play. Its just the manner of how it gets there that is the sticking point and the larger the map size, the bigger the sticking point.

With RO1 most of the professionally managed servers had what is called a redirect server. This is a separate server which stores custom content like maps.

So if a player logged onto a game server and the player didn't have the custom map that was about to play, they would be automatically redirected to the 'redirect server' where they would automatically download the map. It was all seamless and automatic so the player would know what was taking place, but it cut down the load on the game server.

If there was no redirect server in place, then the map would need to be downloaded from the game server and this would add further load as players downloaded map content. This might be ok if it was one or two players downloading an RO map that was 7mb but imagine if the map was 100MB. Imagine if the entire server didn't have the new custom maps, the server could be clogged up for half an hour !

So smart server admins will always have a separate redirect server and they will make sure that any custom content is loaded on both the game server and the redirect server.

And here lies a problem. At the moment, it doesn't look like RO2 wants to take re-direct servers. It also doesn't look like RO2 wants to allow download custom map content even from the game server, which wouldn't be ideal as I explained above.

Fingers crossed this is what TWI is going to fix in the next week or so because I can't see the point in an SDK or custom maps or content if there is no way for server admins to host them.

Upvote 0
If it's true what Cat_in_da_Hat is writing (I am not doubting it, I just don't know), I suggest that all maps are stored on one location, e.g. this forum.
This would at least guarantee that everybody could quickly find the maps that servers are playing.

Before I knew about that polish webpage which had all RO 1 maps, I was often forced to download while connecting to the server and it took ages...

Upvote 0
Sensemann that's because the server operators didn't have a redirect server. If they had a redirect like my old DH server, the maps would load very quickly.

I suppose there could be set up some type of communal redirect server. Its just a storage server, nothing special and its easy enough to set up a multiple FTP access for a few trusted people. You would just need to let server operators know what they need to change in their ROEngine.ini to point it to the right redirect and it would work.

Let me ponder that further, I might open my redirect to a few servers. it would be a good way to share new maps and stuff.

Look Im really not sure how this will all work. I am guessing on how RO1 worked in this regard and we all know that RO2 is vastly different to RO1 so I can only guess how it will manage custom maps.

The idea of custom maps needing to be white listed does concern me to some extent but that's life i guess. TWI owns the game and i guess they have the right to say what maps run on it. Server operators should have some say I reckon, but I guess we are moving beyond the topic of this thread with that angle.

End of day, new content is great. New maps awesome - bring em on !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Downloading from a redirect is usually quick and the other big advantage its got is that all the files get put in the correct folders on the client.
Dowloading from an external source will mean that you will manually have to put the files into the correct folders,(after you have decompressed them) which is easy enough for us guys who have done it hundreds of times before, but may be confusing for players who haven't.
So its very important that TWI sort out the method of redirecting files,before more maps start being released.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep totally agree with Mr Day. Im agine the tech support you would have to do when people are unable to copy files ! I did enough RO2 tech support during the beta and i was just a server admin !

Sens I can't remember if the TWB server had a redirect. They didn't change around the maps that often so i guess it wasn't a problem. But that was a bloody great server back in the day when no one else was playing RO in our home countries. I think we both would get pings of around 250-270 but still dominate ! Ahh how memories have a way of distorting the truth !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think we both would get pings of around 250-270 but still dominate ! Ahh how memories have a way of distorting the truth !

As long as the ping is stable, you can adjust ;)

Regarding re-make of Ogledow:

I would suggest to give each side 4 tanks (and only when the AI-mgunner is gone). Plus, in the centre of the map, a bit more cover for the infantry is needed. Especially for the time that there are no HTs. If you guys remember the map, you will recall not much cover there. I am concerned that nobody would advance in the center of the map, as it would basically be like a zebra hunt.

Upvote 0
As long as the ping is stable, you can adjust ;)

Regarding re-make of Ogledow:

I would suggest to give each side 4 tanks (and only when the AI-mgunner is gone). Plus, in the centre of the map, a bit more cover for the infantry is needed. Especially for the time that there are no HTs. If you guys remember the map, you will recall not much cover there. I am concerned that nobody would advance in the center of the map, as it would basically be like a zebra hunt.

i would suggest TWI make a waiting line, so one person at a time downloads the map from the server in a waiting line when they connect to the server if they dont have the map.. so it doesnt slow everyone down with 10 poeple at a time downloading maps...

this way you would be put into a wait list depending on who has the fastest connection (faster connections connect sooner and would be placed in front of line for downloading) and bam.. problem solved..

or you could just give server admins full controll over options like that and they could decide how to best deal with it...

meh.. TWI doesnt listen to me tho =/

Upvote 0
Downloading from a redirect is usually quick and the other big advantage its got is that all the files get put in the correct folders on the client.
Dowloading from an external source will mean that you will manually have to put the files into the correct folders,(after you have decompressed them) which is easy enough for us guys who have done it hundreds of times before, but may be confusing for players who haven't.
So its very important that TWI sort out the method of redirecting files,before more maps start being released.

The problem with downloading from an external source as you mention above can easily be solved by creating some kind of "new map installer" package. It could work something like drag and drop the downloaded zip file on the installer and the installer does the rest (unpack and store at the correct location). A server redirect is of course a better solution, but as long as it isn't possible, then i would suggest external sources with some kind of installer package. It even can be made as a plugin for firefox, crome or IE. Just download and the plugin recognizes the extension and will do the rest. Works as a charm.

Upvote 0