• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Too many steps to zoom.

If you check the options you can turn it off.

And the other player on the server?

They use the zoom from the other side of the map, see you coming and shot you down, before you can recognize that there was a enemy somewhere 200m away.

Would be fine if there could be a server option to remove the zoom.
Would be a nice feature for "hardcore" realism server.

Upvote 0
That`s no option!

If you observe the area right you can see much more than 200m without the zoom, too.

But with that mega zoom you can see every detail. You the a part of a helmet behind a wall, or a rifle behind a building, or what ever.

The mega zoom ins`t ralistic. The first zoom you get when you use the iron sight is good enough, FOR EVERYONE.

When i disable my zoom, i would be very stupid. Because everyone can zoom and do it a lot, so i have no chance to see some hardcore campers (of course they using the zoom / ps: defend a object is ok, but when somebody never moved his body he is a good damn camper and all he want is kills, the teamwork ins`t interessting!) far away, and i will be killed by them.

Lie arround with zoom and wait for enemys is no great game feature, that

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing is, in real life, I can see someone at 200m. If YOU want it to be more "realistic" YOU can turn it off.

In real life I can see a human size target at 200m even if I am not standing still. Walking does not magically make it hard to see people far away IRL. Right now the zoom can only be used if camping still.

Also, the "Don't like? Don't use." - answers is not a solution to problems.

You can decide to turn the zoom off and then be at a disadvatance against ones using the zoom.

You can decide to not use overpowered weapons and then be at a disadvatance against ones using overpowered weapons. ( Note: This is an example, no need to argue about certain weapons being/not being OP )

Last edited:
Reactions: Kleist
Upvote 0
That`s no option!

If you observe the area right you can see much more than 200m without the zoom, too.

But with that mega zoom you can see every detail. You the a part of a helmet behind a wall, or a rifle behind a building, or what ever.

The mega zoom ins`t ralistic. The first zoom you get when you use the iron sight is good enough, FOR EVERYONE.

When i disable my zoom, i would be very stupid. Because everyone can zoom and do it a lot, so i have no chance to see some hardcore campers (of course they using the zoom / ps: defend a object is ok, but when somebody never moved his body he is a good damn camper and all he want is kills, the teamwork ins`t interessting!) far away, and i will be killed by them.

Lie arround with zoom and wait for enemys is no great game feature, that

Upvote 0
Kleist said:
Actually, without 1:1 scale it is much more than 200 meters. 200 meters are 200 meters only when scale is the same. Without "zoom" it isn't. It's like talking about the "same" distance when one man is looking at the map while the other is able to see it in real life, on field.

Now, distances in game are really small. Spartanovka is, what, 300, maybe 400 meters top? From one end of the map to another? I scored 240 meters kill with bolt-action rifle standing not far from the Axis spawn point and my opponent was running not far from his.

We don't need to make the game unrealistic by throwing out a nice feature. We need bigger maps. It's that simple. That will make complaining about "zoom" (which is not zoom, by the way) irrelevant. The ARMA2 has the same feature and I didn't see people talking about it because maps in ARMA2 are really huge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I scored 240 meters kill with bolt-action rifle (--).
Do you need to tweak the config files to be able to see that far or is the resolution affecting this? I have settings on 1680 x 1050 / high and have tough time in Spartanovka seeing from the tank hull between gullies and the church to the other tank, which is perhaps 120 meters or so. It seems to be the maximum distance I can see the enemy. That's why those achievements sound absurd unless I do them on accident, I just can't see that far. I think marksman silver (175m) is too far for me to see while zooming.

Sir.Roderick said:
Also I'd definately NOT want to zoom all the time! Plenty of times where I want more FoV while in ironsights.
You can remove this by tweaking the RO2 files. You'll get iron sights without zoom. Look the instructions from the zooming rant posts.

But the zoom is unrealsitic! I have no cyborg eyes.
In the army you shoot targets at the target range at 300m. To begin with, you cannot see that far without zooming in RO2 (or then my settings are bad). Secondly, when aiming at the small target in your sights you don't zoom, but your vision is concentrated on a relatively small area. You don't see a wide area while aiming, this is something the zoom simulates well.

Disabling the zoom is less realistic, not more.
Yes. We need to see further and without the zoom the normal field of vision is not enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0