• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Metro 2033 is $5 on steam

It's a great game overall with a lot of ambience and fun gunplay. The graphics are very detailed and the lighting is very realistic.

It has a few issues though. It's very, very linear and restrictive; You follow some NPC around in tunnels with only one way to go and ride on vehicles a lot. Some very long cutscenes cannot be skipped (like when you have to hide under a trolley).

There's no way to go back once you leave an area, even by accident. There are a few times where I wasn't done exploring or looting an area and triggered the next chapter to load by accident. Forcing me to restart the entire chapter in order to see what I missed. If you need just $1 to buy something in a shop, well too bad because you will never visit it again once you leave. The 2 armor types are available at one station early in the game and if you can't afford one, you have to wait until much later in the game to buy one.

There are no quick savings, just a console like auto-save system on which you have no control.

Also, the way gas mask and filters work is quite confusing. It would be nice to be able to manage the filters properly and know which ones are new, used or almost finished. Right you can sometime change a filter and no time gets added to your watch, which is puzzling. Did I just swap a dead filter with another dead filter? Is it a bug? There is no way to know.

I'm not a fan of the "revolver/assault rifle/everything else" loadout which is imposed on you. You must have a pistol and assault rifle at all times, but you can't have both a pneumatic weapon and a shotgun. I would gladly have swapped my assault rifle for something else in some chapters.

Upvote 0
Jesus why do eastern-european/russian games always need to be optimized so badly? Battlefield 3 is running perfectly on my system with ultra settings, dx11, 1680x1050 yet Metro 2033 already has crappy performance with DX11 and only "high" settings eventhough it doesn't look as good.
Metro 2033 is definitely a very poorly optimized game. I think it has less to do with companies being from Eastern Europe or Russia and more to do with them being smaller, and independent companies without massive testing pools and the resources or skills needed to optimize their games effectively. Alot of those smaller indies in Europe and Russia also seem to be trying to push boundaries to their limits, which makes things even more complicated (STALKER, Metro 2033, Cliffs of Dover).

I've seen plenty of US independent developers running into similar problems with their games ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hirmuinen
Upvote 0
Jesus why do eastern-european/russian games always need to be optimized so badly? Battlefield 3 is running perfectly on my system with ultra settings, dx11, 1680x1050 yet Metro 2033 already has crappy performance with DX11 and only "high" settings eventhough it doesn't look as good.

I agree that Eastern European games have great concepts, but poor execution. That being said, Metro 2033 ran nicely on my AMD 9950BE/GTX260/4GB RAM PC...

Getting it to run in the first place was a bit tricky.

Upvote 0

It's not that they are poorly optimised; it's because unlike most western titles they also contain soul - which takes up additional hardware resources and thus may lower performance, but is certainly a price worth paying.

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
It's not that they are poorly optimised; it's because unlike most western titles they also contain soul - which takes up additional hardware resources and thus may lower performance, but is certainly a price worth paying.

I'd disagree. Compare IL-2, Lock On and DCS to some of the Jane's titles. The Russian/Eastern European games listed feel very sterile compared to their American counter parts. We can also point to Rainbow 6/Ghost Recon, and other great and complex Western games from earlier years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Metro 2033s' soul is called Dmitry Glukhovsky. If it wasn't based on his epic book the game would pretty much be crap because most of the main gameplay mechanics(like stealth) only work suboptimal.

The main gameplay mechanics worked rather well for me. I was able to kill people with knives and suppressed weapons and go unnoticed many times.

Upvote 0
I agree that Eastern European games have great concepts, but poor execution. That being said, Metro 2033 ran nicely on my AMD 9950BE/GTX260/4GB RAM PC...

Getting it to run in the first place was a bit tricky.

OMG My computer was identical to yours at some point.

If you run
Asus M2N-E
or later I changed to
M3A78-EM (was a test about hyper transport speed) its faster on newer chipset... practically no performance gain...

Anyways... the 9950BE did a pretty good job for me despite the bad reputation Phenom classics have.

Also Metro2033 ran flawlessly with such hardware that is pretty aged..
But this was a game that ran very well on nvidia I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0