• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

I'm not saying the game itself is arcadey, but a lot of its features are.

-The game doesn't take into account the weight of each weapon, so every weapon, from a pistol to and AT rifle can be moved around your screen at the same speed. For heavier weapons there should be a delay similar to the tank cannon delay as they are not easy to handle.

-Sway is fine, we could have a little bit more though. What is not fine is that sway doesn't suffer any significant impact from stamina, suppression and wounds. You can also exploit the stabilization feature and have zero sway for as long as you want by holding and releasing shift periodically.

-Reloading/bolting speeds suffer too much effect from weapon progress, letting you reload your belt-fed MG-34 in 4 seconds. Switching weapons is also too fast

-ADS speed would be fine if you are standing still, but when you are sprinting, jogging or prone it takes a lot more time to shoulder your weapon IRL

-The main problem with player movement is lack of inertia. You can turn 180

Reactions: Viersbovsky
Upvote 0
Nezzer said:
-Sway is fine, we could have a little bit more though. What is not fine is that sway doesn't suffer any significant impact from stamina, suppression and wounds.
Not exactly, if bullets sing really close your aim seems to move and you need to adjust it again. I noticed it when friendlies near me opened fire when I was acquiring a long distance target where even slight movement is important. Stamina also does have an impact on sway, problem is that you regain it really fast, so you can not notice this or you can use breath control to stabilize it despite how tired of you are. These things really need some tweaking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not exactly, if bullets sing really close your aim seems to move and you need to adjust it again. I noticed it when friendlies near me opened fire when I was acquiring a long distance target where even slight movement is important. Stamina also does have an impact on sway, problem is that you regain it really fast, so you can not notice this or you can use breath control to stabilize it despite how tired of you are. These things really need some tweaking.

Yeah, if you're being shot at and they're actually, you know, hitting close enough to panic your character he jumps with each bullet.

If it's an MG firing at you? He has an epileptic fit.

Upvote 0
Many people wouldn't have dropped from RO2 if classes were more restricted. Each time i run into someone in Killing Floor wearing the RO2 pre-order skin, It's the same conversation.

-Hey, man, you still play RO2?
-Nah,
-Me neither, **** turned into cod.
-lol, yeah.

I know I wouldn't have dropped if I didn't have to fight 20 semis/smgs with my poor old bolt, but that's now 1 month since the last time I even launched the game.

No, that's not because of BF3, i expected nothing from this game, I expected everything from RO2.
In the end, BF3 is out for a week and I already played it twice more hours than RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You probably are.

I stopped playing RO2 a week or 2 after it came out for pretty much one reason: lockdown. During the beta I didn't even know why rounds would stop prematurely, someone had to point me out there was a second timer. The gameplay is different too (90% uses semi or smg, 1% uses a rifle) but I guess I could get used to it, it requires less skill though, especially in the current maps but once there are huge community made maps without lockdown that might change. ROOST wasn't perfect from the start either but the gameplay was pretty much the same as ROmod, it was just a fancy version of the mod, everything I loved about the mod was in the retail version just prettier and more features (leaning!). It's differnet with RO 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gosh I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who likes the balance that RO2 has struck.
I like the balance, but there are many, many things I also dislike. No sway after running, lockdown, SDK still not widely available, fantasy weapons all over the place, MGs not scary enough and too easy to hipfire with, weapon and bullet noises too quiet, terrible short-range hitreg, etc etc etc.

This will be an excellent game in the future, when all of this stuff is fixed and balanced. I haven't played in a while, but I remain active in the community and await mods and maps and fixes.

Upvote 0
There are a lot things good with RO2, but for me things simply don't come together gameplay wise. There is a lot of stuff really great and better than RO1 when looking at individual features, and my intial impression of RO2 was great. But things just don't seem to work together well.

I agree... I've posted my 2 cents numerous times, and it's pretty much the same as a lot of people on here so I won't bother going on a diatribe regarding artificial limitations on avatars and whatnot.... However, I just really hope that someone at TWI is reading this thread and getting the general idea...

I don't care how they do it but they need to change both the peek-a-boo-you're-dead riflemen gameplay AND the kenyan-sprinting-up-the-stairs assault gameplay.

Reactions: Zetsumei
Upvote 0
The sooner twi understands they can get a lot more players by adding some optional features such as aiming speed limits, inertia, reload time, etc. etc) no zoom feature, the better.

It doesn't have to be like this for everyone, just keep the call of duty pace some forumites like but give the others (mostly ro vets) some options to play with rather than this forced arcade thingy.

Certainly the demo recording system could have waited in favour of those things.

Reactions: Hobitt and GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
Gosh I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who likes the balance that RO2 has struck.

I'm there. I have a few niggles here and there (lockdown can go f*ck itself with a cactus), but a lot of the stuff that people complain about hardly registers for me when I'm playing. If I get killed, I don't think fast ADS or lack of sway had anything to do with it (as an example that doesn't list the avalanche of gripes people have about the mechanics). I simply think, "I screwed up, how can I keep from screwing up next time?"

Skill in RO2 is all about avoiding firefights you don't know you can win (in other words, twitch-based firefights.)

More often than not, if I shoot my gun it's because I've already won the fight on a tactical level, and it's a simple matter of not missing my shots. It doesn't matter if they're running full tilt with an MKB and stop dead, fast ads, and try to turn around 180 to get a shot at me, because they're staring at a respawn screen before they get the chance, and if they -do- get the chance, they can't see where I've hidden myself.

Basically, these things are meaningless if you play properly, and they'll allow you to decimate people who aren't playing properly.

Upvote 0
Au contraire Nader, I can and do win most tactical fights. And it breaks the hell outa the immersion when I do so.

Take the last time I played appts for example, clearing out the center appartments, going up to the top floor and hey there's some nades on the floor I'll just add these to my collection. as I crouched down I hear them paf paf of a pistol, snapping a 180 and hosing the guy with my ppsh renders him dead and me fine. Then I went around the corner and *hey more nades!* went for them again, and AGAIN there was someone behind me. No matter the snap 180 shot wins the day again.

I think HOS is the only game where ive seen people kill others in game then admit "my goodness that was lame". Its not like they are whining, they won, they killed the other guy; but they also have the decency to recognize how damned lame it was.

Not saying tactics dont usually give you a big aide, ( they do ) but in CQB twitch is a much bigger aide than tactics.

Reactions: THD
Upvote 0
Au contraire Nader, I can and do win most tactical fights. And it breaks the hell outa the immersion when I do so.

Take the last time I played appts for example, clearing out the center appartments, going up to the top floor and hey there's some nades on the floor I'll just add these to my collection. as I crouched down I hear them paf paf of a pistol, snapping a 180 and hosing the guy with my ppsh renders him dead and me fine. Then I went around the corner and *hey more nades!* went for them again, and AGAIN there was someone behind me. No matter the snap 180 shot wins the day again.

I think HOS is the only game where ive seen people kill others in game then admit "my goodness that was lame". Its not like they are whining, they won, they killed the other guy; but they also have the decency to recognize how damned lame it was.

Not saying tactics dont usually give you a big aide, ( they do ) but in CQB twitch is a much bigger aide than tactics.

I can honestly say the only time I've ever seen this happen is when hitreg fails on me and he notices the dust my bullets are kicking up on the wall next to him.

I have never been 180'd, I've never 180'd someone else, I've never seen someone else 180. This would imply that they knew you were there in the first place, and my first instinct would be some sort of hack.

If you shot and missed, well, that's your fault. How long does it take someone to turn around in real life and put a bullet in someone a few feet away?

Besides, if you're tripping over enemies like that you aren't being tactical. I certainly wouldn't have exposed myself just because an enemy's back was to me. I'd have shot you from the nice safety of a doorway or something that provided a modicum of cover in case you DID realize I was there.

You're basically saying that you can out-run-and-gun the run-and-gunners. And then you complain that there are no tactics. There are no tactics because you aren't using tactics. Instead, you employ the same techniques you come here and complain about, and then declare that the game is tactically bankrupt.

Am I the only one seeing the duplicity here?

Upvote 0
I

You're basically saying that you can out-run-and-gun the run-and-gunners. And then you complain that there are no tactics. There are no tactics because you aren't using tactics. Instead, you employ the same techniques you come here and complain about, and then declare that the game is tactically bankrupt.

Am I the only one seeing the duplicity here?

I bloody well know there were no tactics in that particular engagement, thats what happens when im up playing late and im dog tired. not to mention I have many times tested playing "with tactics" or with a complete lack of them running around like an idiot and just shooting targets. In cqb the latter works a hell of a lot better due to the lag and hitreg issues.

On a further note, I did not say I could out run and gun the run and gunners, the two people who shot at me were "playing tactically" waiting for someone to pass em by so they could shoot them in the back. Thats hardly "running" in my books.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bloody well know there were no tactics in that particular engagement, thats what happens when im up playing late and im dog tired. not to mention I have many times tested playing "with tactics" or with a complete lack of them running around like an idiot and just shooting targets. In cqb the latter works a hell of a lot better due to the lag and hitreg issues.

On a further note, I did not say I could out run and gun the run and gunners, the two people who shot at me were "playing tactically" waiting for someone to pass em by so they could shoot them in the back. Thats hardly "running" in my books.

Then my question remains how you knew they were there. If they were properly concealed you wouldn't have been able to react until you were dead. Either they were asleep, not properly concealed, or you're exaggerating.

Besides, CQC is a very different story. CQC is all about hitting them hard and fast, before they can react or defend themselves. Tactics take place so you can AVOID CQC and kill your enemies before they can get that dangerous. CQC is something that most armies try to avoid. It's the worst kind of fighting. Now you can kind of see why. Hard to be tactical 20 feet from your opponent. It's all about speed and accuracy in that situation.

Upvote 0