• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Standing up in slow death?

Slow death as a whole bugs me a bit. Somethings imo need some work.

1. If you put someone in slow death and just watch him flail around laughing if someone so much as knicks his ankle he gets credit for the kill. The person to put him in the death state should receive the kill.

2. The animation does not match what the player is experiencing. Quite a few times I put him in the bleeding out state seeing his arms wave around uncontrollably only to have the person shoot me from 150 meters away. Either make the person unable to aim correctly or make the animation match his actions.

Bandaging is also far too fast. Takes 2 seconds to bandage.

Upvote 0
I'm quite annoyed that not only you stand up in the death state, but that you can't move at all while dying.

Surely if you're dying you would at least try to make it to cover rather than just stand there thinking "gee, i'm dying. i think i'll just stand here while i'm waiting"

Even if you know you're going to die in a few minutes (seconds), wouldn't you want to at least try to survive the inevitable?

Upvote 0
That slow death seems to be modelling some physiological responses to grave injury. First, heightened adrenaline levels keep ones body/muscles active.

Then, bullet travels through body (as someone pointed out, unlike Hollywood, full metal jacket rifle bullets go through the body kind of like butter, but leaving a messy exit). The kinetic energy is not given to the body so not thrown off ones feet etc.

Then, adrenaline keeps the body going as blood loss/drop in blood pressure causes shock and a decreased cognitive capacity.

Being mortally wounded and standing around trying to stay going while dying makes real life sense.

My education tells me this but I've not seen it with a human. But, I have seen this with animals shot while hunting. Take a deer. Shoot it with an arrow while bow hunting. I'm not talking bullet here because you don't use a full metal jacket bullet while hunting, but all WW2 rifle rounds were full metal jacket, meaning they did not mushroom in the body to deliver the kinetic energy of the shot to the organs.

So, arrow it is in the deer. In this case, the crossbow arrow went through and through, out the other side, through the lungs. Usually, if the deer is not spooked, it will wander and die fairly quickly. In this case, with a new partner, we were over zealous. The shot through and through and we moved up on deer making noise. The deer had adrenaline rush even though it was mortally wounded, bounded off. At this point, with that deer, the same as with a human, it is a very primal part of the brain that keeps the body standing and moving, the brainstem itself. Moments later the body dies, even though the brain and neurotransmitters are still sending signals to keep going and the ability to make decisions like "look for cover" were not possible once the first nerve impulse of the massive drop in blood pressure were measured by the brain.

By the way, that deer, we never found it. It would have fled, then bedded down, shock set in and either died first or the wolves around home got it that night. Waste of good sausage meat! :eek:

Upvote 0
Good point, but just this caught my eye:

The kinetic energy is not given to the body so not thrown off ones feet etc.

Not even taking the full energy of a .50 Cal will take one off their feet (Mythbusters did something in that regard and it was very interesting.)
This is mostly because of momentum - the recoil that a shooter feels must be equal to, or more than, the punch a bullet applies to it's target.
There may be some impulse, but most of that impulse movement from being shot is psychological reaction.

Upvote 0
As far as I'm aware, we're not dealing with 5.56mm ammo in this game, we've got full sized rifle ammunition (or an intermediate round in the case of the 8mm Kurz fired by the Mkb), and those should knock people off their feet. Obviously the pistol rounds won't.

I remember some reports about the recent "wars" in Iraq and Afganistan, I think it was US troops who were picking up AK47's because the rounds will put someone on floor, whereas the 5.56mm from the M16 and M4 didn't have the knock down effect.

IIRC it's also why there's lots of interest in the new 6.8mm Remington SPC round. Somewhere in the middle of knockdown power yet having good ballistics.

Personally with RO2, I'd just be happy if it didn't flash up "Press Use to bandge" when you're dying with a slow death. So bloody annoying.

Upvote 0
Im a bit "iffy" about the whole slow death mechanic. I wouldnt mind if they removed it, but i dont mind if its in the game either; so long as its reworked.

Make it so that a bullet striking you, throws your aim off and snaps your screen down.

I dont understand how one can have the strength to stand there and shoot at me, when i just blasted a baseball sized hole in his back with my mauser.

Also im not to sure about the whole, "bullets dont knock you down" thing. My brother was hit with a 7.62 round in the thigh while fighting in fallujah. It swept his foot out from under him and buckled his knee; he said it felt like getting hit with a sledgehammer, and it didnt even strike the bone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you were mortally wounded and lying on ground, I do not think you would even trying to shoot (= Dead in-game ).
Your death is supposed to simulate the point where you fall over and become combat ineffective, not necessarily dead.

(Regardless I cannot say that I am a friend of the slow death. Aiming is way too accurate allowing even long range shots.)

What I think is way weird that when you shoot someone they usually "jump" up into the air a bit, even when theyre lying down. You would expect them to slump, instead they seem to be thrown up. It often let's me know whether I got someone or not.

It seems to be a bug.

Upvote 0
1. If you put someone in slow death and just watch him flail around laughing if someone so much as knicks his ankle he gets credit for the kill. The person to put him in the death state should receive the kill.

Don't agree on this. While he should get points for doing his part, the enemy is still alive and can kill, so the actually killing the enemy should get the kill, but the one to put the enemy in slow death, should get more than a simple kill assist.

Upvote 0
As far as I'm aware, we're not dealing with 5.56mm ammo in this game, we've got full sized rifle ammunition (or an intermediate round in the case of the 8mm Kurz fired by the Mkb), and those should knock people off their feet. Obviously the pistol rounds won't.

I remember some reports about the recent "wars" in Iraq and Afganistan, I think it was US troops who were picking up AK47's because the rounds will put someone on floor, whereas the 5.56mm from the M16 and M4 didn't have the knock down effect.

IIRC it's also why there's lots of interest in the new 6.8mm Remington SPC round. Somewhere in the middle of knockdown power yet having good ballistics.

Personally with RO2, I'd just be happy if it didn't flash up "Press Use to bandge" when you're dying with a slow death. So bloody annoying.

Remember that the rounds may have been larger rifle rounds, but are full metal jacketed, they cut through a body like it was butter. Even a small deer when shot with a hunting round that mushrooms inside the body does not get knocked down or off it's feet. It dies where it stands and falls. A larger human with a round going through will also not be knocked down.

(The AK47 round is larger than the 5.56 NATO round and has "stopping power" in that it moves slower and does damage and is great at punching through walls or vehicles. The 5.56 is a tiny round, the same essentially as a .22 bullet. The different is it is travelling a a MUCH higher velocity (also making it less effective at punching through stuff, it shatters more often) and even FMJ bullets fragment and take strange paths in the body at the speeds we're talking, which is why the round and the AR15/M16 platform was chosen to replace the M14 and .308 platform in the U.S.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2. The animation does not match what the player is experiencing. Quite a few times I put him in the bleeding out state seeing his arms wave around uncontrollably only to have the person shoot me from 150 meters away. Either make the person unable to aim correctly or make the animation match his actions.

I've sniped a few people this way.

There is no aiming penalty. It's exactly the same as if you were perfectly healthy.

Not sure how someone who is stumbling and flailing their arms as they go into comatose can steadily aim a rifle.

Upvote 0