• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German Superiority!

Edit:

I also find the weapon layout to be balanced.

Ppsh <- MP40

RUS MG -> MG34

SVT <- G41

RUS Bolt -> KAR98

STV -> MKB

Nagant <- Walter pistol

It all seems fairly well balanced to me.

how it the nagant better then the p-38? or the Mp-40 worse when you can snipe from beyond 100 yards with it? I think the only really balanced weapons are the 91/30 and the Mosin, and the T-33 and P38. Otherwise the germans have and edge

Reactions: Vesper11
Upvote 0
how it the nagant better then the p-38? or the Mp-40 worse when you can snipe from beyond 100 yards with it? I think the only really balanced weapons are the 91/30 and the Mosin, and the T-33 and P38. Otherwise the germans have and edge

And you cant do that with PPSH? I'd say PPSH is even better than Mkb, You rarely need to shoot further than 100 meters because the maps are so small or restricted and you should be assaulting anyways meaning close quarters combat most of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since the last few patches I find the PPSh handles much more easily than it did during beta and first release. Maybe they haven't changed anything and it's a placebo effect....but I'm finding it doesn't kick like a mule so much anymore.

I'll also say, if you want to see the Russians kick ***, Ducksoup Seattle is where you'll see it happen. The best players go Russian and I've watched them steamroll Germans on every map from Commissar's to Fallen Fighters.

I think it's just that, all other things being equal, it's easier for German players to mount a sloppy defense/offense than it is for the Russians. The MG34 is formidable compared to the DP-28, pretty much on every metric. The lower rate of recoil on their SMGs/auto rifles makes for more comfortable solo play.

When the quality level of players on each team is balanced, it's non-issue mostly and the a-symmetric balance works. When there's even a slight imbalance in the teams though....I think you feel it more as Russians. Especially when its compounded by stuff like, a German MG team that knows what they're doing on Pavlov's. A pair of quality German MGers can be worth more on that map than half the riflemen on the team.

Upvote 0
PPSH's are really good at short to short-medium range if you use burst firing and control recoil. And for teams, I myself play as the Russians more than Germans b/c I wanna unlock the PPSH drum... still loooong way to go with my limited time and this is my stat page:
2011101400002.jpg

2011101400002.jpg
2011101400002.jpg
2011101400002.jpg

I must say RO2 is a game in which the team with the best smg rushers usually win. And I'm a pretty good SMG rusher (love being a smg squad leader).

Just for comparing PPSH's accuracy against other guns:
PPSH - 15.2%

MP40 - 22.7%

Mosin Nagant - 100%
Yes, I have 100% accuracy with Mosin nagant. I think the stats might be broken though

Kar98 - 64.3%

SVT40 - 64.6%

G41 - 44.0%

so, in all, PPSH is the most inaccurate gun in general, for me. But it still gets the job done with high rate of fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The German side is not superior. I usually see a little more coordination from them, but that can be easily changed with getting some teamwork going. I think the PPSH is the best assault weapon in the game and really am not bothered when I go 1 v 1 against someone with a mkb or mp40.

To the OP: just keep practicing with the weapons and get in the cap's!

unledyq.jpg

Upvote 0
maybe a week ago germans still had a slight advantage, but now we're getting our *** kicked all the time. I like it, it makes me feel less guilty for choosing the awesome looking guys with cool weapons now that we get beaten half the time. I've played around 30 matches according to my profile stats, 13 wins, 17 losses, and I played germans every round. In beta and before first patch I think I must've won 9/10 matches as germans.

Reactions: Meirleach
Upvote 0
I think people go to axis team because they were winning. People love winning even if it means that they'll be playing against undermanned and undergunned allied team full of noob players. They dont care about cheap victory, they do care about their e-penis size.

p.s. I've played TF2 quite a lot and anyone can notice stacking in there. Whenever one team starts winning other players join it to become instant winners. And its not noob who do it (noobs dont care, they try to play and learn).

Reactions: Meirleach
Upvote 0
Historically speaking the Germans much prefered long and medium engagement ranges, the German rifles and machineguns featuring a longer accurate effective range than their Russian counterparts.

By comparison the Russians strongly preferred very close engagement ranges, where they could use their favorite tactic of "hugging the enemy" by staying so close that enemy armor & artillery became much less effective. The 71 round drum on the PPSh also came to its own right in this type of fighting.

I have found that keeping these historical facts in mind whilst playing the game actually makes it easier to succeed as each side, which is also how it should be. There are ofcourse still some slight inaccuracies with the comparative handling of some weapons ingame, so a direct comparison with real life can't be made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Historically speaking the Germans much prefered long and medium engagement ranges, the German rifles and machineguns featuring a longer accurate effective range than their Russian counterparts.

By comparison the Russians strongly preferred very close engagement ranges, where they could use their favorite tactic of "hugging the enemy" by staying so close that enemy armor & artillery became much less effective. The 71 round drum on the PPSh also came to its own right in this type of fighting.

I have found that keeping these historical facts in mind whilst playing the game actually makes it easier to succeed as each side, which is also how it should be. There are ofcourse still some slight inaccuracies with the comparative handling of some weapons ingame, so a direct comparison with real life can't be made.

Please, you have to mention that the so-called "hugging tactic" was mainly used in Stalingrad.
Chuikov's order no. 166:

Soviet improvements in supply were countered by overwhelming German superiority in the air and in armor. Chuikov's account of the battle makes it clear that the Luftwaffe dominated his calculations about what he could and could not do

Upvote 0
Please, you have to mention that the so-called "hugging tactic" was mainly used in Stalingrad.
Chuikov's order no. 166:

Soviet improvements in supply were countered by overwhelming German superiority in the air and in armor. Chuikov's account of the battle makes it clear that the Luftwaffe dominated his calculations about what he could and could not do—his troops simply did not move about during the day. German air power also drove his tactical doctrine of ordering his troops to close with the Germans as much as possible, reducing the danger of air attack thanks to the German fear of accidentally targeted their own troops. By mid-September 1942, with both flanks of Chuikov's 62nd army resting on the Volga, he and his commanders noticed that German pilots “bombed our forward positions only where there was a broad expanse of no-man's-land between our forward positions and those of the enemy. It occurred to us, therefore, that we should reduce the no-man's-land as much as possible—to the throw of a grenade.

Germans still tried "large unit operations" and "kesselschlachts", where Infantry moved in to mop up.

True regarding the direct tactic of "hugging the enemy", this tactic was mostly employed in urban invironments. However the Russians in general still favoured close range fighting during the entire course of the war, and tried their best to make sure that the fighting didn't take place at long range where the Germans had a definite advantage over them.

Another good example of this is the battle of Kursk, where masses of Soviet tanks charged full speed at the German ranks in an effort to quickly close in the range and negate the advantage that the German tanks had in long range engagements. Soviet casualties were catastrophic to begin with as they drove into heavy fire whilst quickly trying to close the gap, but as soon as they got in close things started to even out and the German losses started mounting. Some of the best weapons the Germans had on the field during that battle, such as their "Elefant" heavy tank destroyers, which to begin with had proven murderously effective at picking off Soviet tanks from long range, were suddenly rendered almost completely useless as the Russians got in close.

index.php

Last edited:
Reactions: Actin
Upvote 0
More stats being pulled out of a noobs arse.

I've seen plenty of 'high level' players on Soviets, not that level means a damn thing. ****ing noobs stop calling unbalance when it's YOU that is sucking.

PLEASE READ WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID. BEFORE COMMENTING. YOU'RE ANSWER IS JUST SIMPLISTIC. AND QUITE FRANKLY YOU ARE THE ONE TALKING OUT YOU'RE A**

BTW, don't call me a noob, you don't know sh** about how i play.

Upvote 0
I'll also say, if you want to see the Russians kick ***, Ducksoup Seattle is where you'll see it happen. The best players go Russian and I've watched them steamroll Germans on every map from Commissar's to Fallen Fighters.

Ya, I've played a lot of my matchs on Ducksoup and Russians do often do pretty good. I usually switch between teams often to the side that lost the last match, but not always. I spent a lot of time lvling my MG-34 up on allies there, just cause its fun giving german MGers a taste of their own medicine. Also having individual good players matters less than having team players on a 64 man server. On a 32 man server good players can swing the balance a lot more.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Reckless_Idiot/screenshot/578936979343357370

Definitely got a pretty good win ratio playing as allies. I blame the apparent Russian superiority of the DuckSoup server on Gun Totting Left Coast Communist Liberal Hippies! The only thing wrong with the server is I go from like 64 ping with 30 players to 120s with 45 to 200 ping with 64 players.

-Just another Reckless Idiot

Last edited:
Upvote 0