• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does anyone use bolt actions any more?

I use bolts too, i love them, but that doesnt mean there is no problem with this.

Saying you use them does not coutneract what op says, which is awfully true. The center on gunplay, which was wonderful, paced and tense, has now become a shower of semis and full autos. Case in point:

rogame20110924203321699.jpg

unfortunately this is the same for a lot of maps. The root of the problem is that Stalingrad is based on CQB-type maps where the bolt action rifle is literally a hit-and-miss weapon...you hit, you live...you miss..well.....

I love bolt action rifles - ALWAYS play them whenever possible, however on a lot of maps, I just get owned by the amount of auto weapons, even semi autos. there's just no defense up close - this just encourages me to camp. I do tend to rush..but I look for weapons on the ground and drop mine.

Upvote 0
Uhm, but he didn't answer the question, he wrote a personal experience about using a bolt. The question of the thread was is this how its going to be now, just one bolt action per team. Please read before you post. ;)

The thread title states:
"Does anyone use bolt actions any more?"

The main question was in the subject header.... the original post was mostly a rant based on personal observations of a lack of Riflemen.

I did read.... did you?

Upvote 0
The thread title states:

The main question was in the subject header.... the original post was mostly a rant based on personal observations of a lack of Riflemen.

I did read.... did you?

lol, I'd love to see some of the book reports you've done for school.

Those pages between the covers? Worthless.

Upvote 0
The thread title states:

I did read.... did you?

The heading can be interpreted as a title, not a thread. :eek: If the OP wanted the question from the title to be answered he would want to put it in the thread itself, otherwise there would be no point to having a threat, just a title with a question.

Seriously?

Is that how it's going to be from now on? I used to really enjoy RO1s rifle fighting, and I know Stalingrad is bound to incorporate more automatics, but having a whole server with so few numbers of bolt actions cant be right, can it?

Are people really that disinclined to pick up a bolt action now?

Here you are, not sure if you are a little vision impaired or not, so I won't hold it against you. <3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hook, line, and sinker. Nearly capsized my boat to boot!

It'll be okay, it's just a video game; you always come off as a very high strung poster.

High Strung?

Since we're now into analyzing other forum members.....

I'm not the one constantly coming in here complaining about everything about the game, the devs, and the forums.

I at least have something positive to say from time to time and actually contribute to the community by helping other members out with gameplay, maps, weapon functions & possibilities on how to improve their game.

Perhaps you should reflect back on your own post history to see who's the one that's high strung.

Just about everything I have seen from you in the past few weeks has been nothing but negativity, sarcasm towards the devs & moaning..... sucking the fun and enjoyment out of everything for everybody else because you seem to not be having any fun.

I'm hardly high strung in any fashion of the sense.... I come on here during breaks at work or when I need to kill time for something to do..... I use the forums to talk to others about our enjoyment of the game.... you just seem to come in here to poop in everybody's corn flakes, complain about everything you don't like and then never bother to offer up any logical solutions to your problems.... you just rant and flame.

Just my observations. :cool:

I don't always play RO2,
---
But when I do... I play as SL
----
Leading the pack, my friends

(no rifle in that class)

So you avoid taking the riflemen class and always pick another SMG class.... then complain there's not many riflemen on the battlefield when you yourself add to the same problem you're complaining about.

Brilliant..... slightly hypocritical, but brilliant none the less :rolleyes:

lol, I'd love to see some of the book reports you've done for school.

Those pages between the covers? Worthless.

Wow, keep on contributing to the coversation/topic/problem. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I usually always play bolts...

But I don't see what leveling bolts don't make much difference for me.

Here is my confession... I have only been playing PPSH since the reset as I want to get that drum... the way I see it, should take the advantage of double xp to get the drum faster... I bet that lots of people will play with bolts once double xp is back to normal... Just a guess... perhaps others think like me.

But I also have no issues getting in the top3 with a bolt action.

Still I understand the issue.

Upvote 0
High Strung?
High Strung words

So you avoid taking the riflemen class and always pick another SMG class.... then complain there's not many riflemen on the battlefield when you yourself add to the same problem you're complaining about.

Brilliant..... slightly hypocritical, but brilliant none the less :rolleyes:

Please underline in BOLD RED where I "complained there's not many riflemen"

derp

and I take the semi auto as SL and fully utilize the role, so I'd say I contribute more to the game than the regular "smg players"

Upvote 0
High Strung?

Since we're now into analyzing other forum members.....

I'm not the one constantly coming in here complaining about everything about the game, the devs, and the forums.

Whatcha doin now?

I at least have something positive to say from time to time and actually contribute to the community by helping other members out with gameplay, maps, weapon functions & possibilities on how to improve their game.

Wow, you are super role model, want virtual pat on the back?

Perhaps you should reflect back on your own post history to see who's the one that's high strung.

Just about everything I have seen from you in the past few weeks has been nothing but negativity, sarcasm towards the devs & moaning..... sucking the fun and enjoyment out of everything for everybody else because you seem to not be having any fun.

Link? Of course not, you just make up things in order to tear me down because you are STRUNG OUT. (Do note that whenever you mention yourself, it's always about how great you are and when you mention me, it's about how awful I am...classic sign of someone who lacks self confidence)

I'm hardly high strung in any fashion of the sense.... I come on here during breaks at work or when I need to kill time for something to do..... I use the forums to talk to others about our enjoyment of the game.... you just seem to come in here to poop in everybody's corn flakes, complain about everything you don't like and then never bother to offer up any logical solutions to your problems.... you just rant and flame.

So, 500 words (all in a highly defensive manner) in response to me telling you to relax....isn't high strung? Righto!

Just my observations. :cool:

And I have training in psychological observation; it doesn't take my expertise to see that you don't take criticism well.

Ciao bella

Last edited:
Reactions: Zentharim
Upvote 0
People do use bolt rifles. I've seen this when roaming around in observer mode or when switching teams between rounds and going to see what weapons others were using. There are more being used than my impression first suggested, but often not many. Something like 7-13 people per team on the 64 player servers?

Some people clearly prefer them, out of principle or whatever, as many slots with auto-loader weapons can be untaken while there being many riflemen (yay).

I think kills they make might be more likely to be headshots or heart-shots, which do not indicate what type of weapon was used. So you might get shot here and there and not know it was a bolt-action rifle. Also, they almost certainly kill less than their autoloading brethren, meaning one is more likely to have been killed by an SMG, Assault Rifle or semi-automatic rifle.

I want to play on servers with less auto-loading weapons and more bolt-action rifles.

The bolt-action rifles do well on:
Brain Elevator
Spartanovka
Red Oktober Factory
Pavlov's House (Axis only)
Fallen Fighters

Perform badly on Apartments, Pavlov's House (Allies), Station, Barracks.

Upvote 0
The heading can be interpreted as a title, not a thread. :eek: If the OP wanted the question from the title to be answered he would want to put it in the thread itself, otherwise there would be no point to having a threat, just a title with a question.

Here you are, not sure if you are a little vision impaired or not, so I won't hold it against you. <3

If you want to get ay'nal about things, typically when creating a new thread, the subject header should relate to what the subject is about.

If you have a subject heading that asks a question on whether or not anybody uses the riflemen class anymore, typically you'd expect the actual topic to be related to that..... not just another thread ranting on about something with no real relation to the original question presented, which we already have plenty of those topics floating around.

And it is the original question, because that's the first thing people see before they click on the thread.

I already answered the thread topic question, and now to apease you lot, I'll answer the remaining questions:

Is that how it's going to be from now on?

Common sense would tell anybody who took 2 seconds to think about it.... No.

Why? Because of SDK, Server/Admin Options, Additional Maps coming later from both the devs and community, among many other reasons.

I used to really enjoy RO1s rifle fighting, and I know Stalingrad is bound to incorporate more automatics, but having a whole server with so few numbers of bolt actions cant be right, can it?

Common sense again, would say yes... this is right, otherwise the game would have been released with different loadouts.

Which ties back into the original question, which was already answered, by not just myself, not just Ramm, but other players.

So what's your contribution to the topic, other than your typical peanut gallery comments targeting other members you don't agree with?

*looks*

Oh... nothing... your first comment was to troll me. *clap clap* bravo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want to get **** about things, typically when creating a new thread, the subject header should relate to what the subject is about.

If you have a subject heading that asks a question on whether or not anybody uses the riflemen class anymore, typically you'd expect the actual topic to be related to that..... not just another thread ranting on about something with no real relation to the original question presented, which we already have plenty of those topics floating around.

And it is the original question, because that's the first thing people see before they click on the thread.

I already answered the thread topic question, and now to apease you lot, I'll answer the remaining questions:

Is that how it's going to be from now on?

Common sense would tell anybody who took 2 seconds to think about it.... No.

Why? Because of SDK, Server/Admin Options, Additional Maps coming later from both the devs and community, among many other reasons.

I used to really enjoy RO1s rifle fighting, and I know Stalingrad is bound to incorporate more automatics, but having a whole server with so few numbers of bolt actions cant be right, can it?

Common sense again, would say yes... this is right, otherwise the game would have been released with different loadouts.

Which ties back into the original question, which was already answered, by not just myself, not just Ramm, but other players.

So what's your contribution to the topic, other than your typical peanut gallery comments targeting other members you don't agree with?

*looks*

Oh... nothing... your first comment was to troll me. *clap clap* bravo.

That I don't agree with? I never said I agreed or disagreed with anyone in this topic, my personal opinion of this subject would be that I am willing to wait for server mutator and an SDK to fix this. :) I wasn't here to troll, I don't think you understand what trolling is either.

Upvote 0
Please underline in BOLD RED where I "complained there's not many riflemen"

derp

Besides the rest of your trollish & sarcastic quip at Ramm:

"(btw, your post really doesn't address the issue regarding quantity)"

Or did you just not mean any of your sarcastic remarks and just wanted to post more trolling?

You obviously believe there's an "Issue regarding Quantity".... Quantity in regards to this topic = Riflemen..... Issue = Lack there of.

Derp yourself....

and I take the semi auto as SL and fully utilize the role, so I'd say I contribute more to the game than the regular "smg players"

I contribute more to the game when I pick the Commander or MG classes, but that's not contributing to the "Problem" relating to this topic... so if you're not going to contribute to the topic, if you didn't mean anything of which you posted before about there being a problem in said topic, and if you are not offering any sort of solution to the problem or the lack of a specific class.... why are you even posting in this topic, unless you're here just to troll and attack other members & the devs any chance you get?

Do you even remember what the topic is anymore?

Upvote 0
That I don't agree with? I never said I agreed or disagreed with anyone in this topic, my personal opinion of this subject would be that I am willing to wait for server mutator and an SDK to fix this. :) I wasn't here to troll, I don't think you understand what trolling is either.

I think we should leave him alone. He is having an off night and is obviously looking for a fight.

He typically isn't this bad on a day to day basis. Bad nights happen to us all; I know I've had a few.

Reactions: Gudenrath
Upvote 0
I think we should leave him alone. He is having an off night and is obviously looking for a fight.

He typically isn't this bad on a day to day basis. Bad nights happen to us all; I know I've had a few.

Well it just seems like he's baiting me to flame him or something, lol. I did get a bit short with him in an earlier post, but I don't really feel like I'm going to get anywhere with him.

Upvote 0
People, please do not discuss each other. Personal nit picky flame war kind of stuff where semantic quarrels and insults are lobbed back and forth. Coming into this topic expecting to talk about bolt-action rifles, then being met with a.. duel of some kind. I don't mean to demean any of you. But just try to refrain from responding to posts that are directed at you personally and are provocative. Ignore them. Can even quote reply to the other parts of the 'one who started it (if any)'s post that are on topic. :) Please? I enjoy reading some of your other posts on topics and I feel torn about having to put such fine contributors on the ignore list over this stuff.

incentive to get more people to use the rifleman class..... give riflemen 2 points for a rifle kill, rather than one.

Bullet for bullet, the bolt action rifle, while still has long range and accuracy, is still disadvantaged compared to other weapons in the game, thus giving players 2 points for a rifle kill should solve a lot of problems.

Shot by Rifle = 2 points
Bayonet/Melee = 1 point
Grenade = 1 point
Pistol = 1 point
That is an idea I like! Logically, the bolt-action rifles are cheaper to manufacture, more available / less train on logistics, use up much less ammunition. A player doing more with less should be awarded appropriately (just like how people who spend ages as AT infantry to take out a tank or four, get nowhere near the reward they deserve for it. Tanks are expensive, and extremely powerful. AT rifles & grenades are not).

I don't like the bolt actions. I feel like being forced to play as a Rifleman as being a punishment and I usually dump my rifle as soon as I come across anything else.
Bolt-action rifles are disadvantaged. The real world advantage they had was infinitely higher reliability (and much cheaper). But the developers chose to not have reliability simulated because they thought people don't want their weapons to behave that realistically (i.e. see jamming/unreliable feeding as infuriating unfairness). I hope they change this because I would love to have weapons that behave more realistically. There are many types of malfunctions that are non-catastrophical and are cleared by just cycling the bolt once.

A bolt-action rifleman would do well to discard his weapon for almost any other type he can find. Unless it is an SMG when engaging people beyond 100 meters.

Reactions: Gudenrath
Upvote 0