• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kill-cam discussion : please be civilized

I have met loads of people who are very hateful towards the kill cam.
Now that I'm sure some of us have took some time to get to know the RO2 Kill-cam, I'd like to hear peoples opinion aside from "I HATE IT! GO PLAY COD!!!!"

What I've heard and how I feel:

"It's unrealistic. You don't magically see who shot you in RL."

But you also don't "re-spawn" with all knowledge from previous life in RL. If you get a look at who shoots, or even see a muzzle flash you have the same info the Kill-cam gave you. Is the RO2 Kill-cam that much more unrealistic?

"It gives away good camping positions."

Isn't this also a good thing? From the realism perspective, a sniper will almost always relocate after 1-2 kills in RL. It can also be good for gameplay. Camping is perfectly fine in RO2, but it can be TOO easy. On Grain Elevator, I've camped a certain spot inside point A and earned 23 kills and 0 deaths with my PPSH. A Kill cam would've broken this up a bit and relieved those poor Germans of there frustration.
Furthermore, after playing both with and without I've noticed that the two teams seem to be more balanced with Kill-cam "on". Without it, attackers usually seem to be at a disadvantage. (this isn't the case for every game/map of course). It is worthy to note that TW probably balanced the maps with the Kill Cam in mind.

"It's just there to make CoD fans happy."

It's very different from the CoD cams. It only shows the general direction and zooms a small amount. If you are sniped from 200+ m away, its very hard to see your attacker. CoD on the other hand shows you exactly where your attacker was. Also, I hate CoD with a passion, but I'm beginning to like the RO2 kill-cam.
Games have Kill cams for a psychological reason as well. Humans dislike losing without a clearly perceptible cause. The "Killed from location" functions to lessen the frustration of being killed by an unseen or unexpected opponent and to turn the player's demise into a learning experience.

Anyhow, feel free to post your thoughts. I'm not trying to start a flame war. Just a friendly discussion.

:)

Hey--stop down-voting this guy, people. He's not insulting anybody--just offering a different opinion.

That said, I have to say that point two is the most compelling for me. When I play on a server with a kill-cam, I have to relocate literally after every batch of kills, even if I totally surprised a group of enemies and they had no idea where they were being shot from. Or sometimes I'll be behind enemy lines, kill someone, and they'll be alerted to the fact that I'm sneaking about in their rear.

And when I get killed and see the enemy in the kill-cam, if they're in a good spot of course I go looking for them. If I didn't see them, however, I know there is a machine gun in that area, but looking for it blindly may very well get me killed, and so I plan an alternate route.

It's a good option for newcomers, though, to get a feel for how exposing yourself leaves you open from certain angles. So no, I don't think it should be removed. I tend to avoid servers with it on, however.

I also find the kill cam makes me more aggressive. When I see I got killed by an MG camping uselessly in the corner of some room, I go to teach them a lesson. :D Whereas, if I'd been killed from an unknown direction, I might not have distracted myself from capping to pursue some vendetta :p

And it's true that if you see the person killing you before you die, the kill-cam is irrelevant. However, the kill cam makes it so that even if you were facing in completely the opposite direction, you know who killed you and from where.

My last objection is that the kill-cam seems to inhibit teamwork, as some players hunt down the sniper, rifleman, or MG that killed them last. Most noticeable on Spartanovka or Fallen Fighters. It doesn't make the entire team go running off like headless chickens, but it distracts a fair minority of players.

Reactions: greenlemonade
Upvote 0
Kill-cam can be useful. If you die without any idea who got you it can be confusing for a newcomer, because he was in such a good spot, it must be cheating. And there is kill-cam, showing you location of the enemy and your death suddenly makes sense. It also help you to see what spots people are often taking to shoot from which can be useful.

When I am a marksman then I aim where the enemy might be - usually at the windows, trying to snipe out our guys trying to approach the objective - and I keep these spots clear. More often than not people doesn't even know that I am their guardian angel, saving their lives.

I know the map, after a few kills I change my spot into another one to confuse the enemy (sometimes they did spot me a couple milliseconds before their demise) or clear next area where the enemy might be. Lack of kill-cam should be on hardcore servers to punish lack of awareness, but it's generally more challenging to play with kill-cam rather than without.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I enjoy playing on servers with, and without kill cam. Why? Because kill cam offers a more relaxed, open game play, and allows a "I'm just having fun and not thinking too hard about this game". Great for winding down after work.

On the other hand, no kill cam forces the players to think more about what they're doing, what they've done, and what is about to happen. This too is great fun, and is simply a slightly different game play.

And as others have said, it helps newer players learn the game, figure out the maps more, and better understand what just happened, why it happened, and hopefully how they can avoid it in the future. Simply hearing "Bang!" and having your screen go black over and over again would be very discouraging to new players.

And remember. Do your duty to the community. Pop into servers that are "Newbie Friendly" now and then, and encourage players. Be polite, take time out of your game to offer up tips, and explain some differences. Don't be overbearing or elitist about it, but go in to actually help people get better.

Upvote 0
Hey--stop down-voting this guy, people. He's not insulting anybody--just offering a different opinion.

I think this topic could be useful to show the devs some feedback. If enough "Realism fans" want Kill Cam off by default or a server filter option, it may get added. There have been lots of people who have voiced their support for this and TW will read that.
I personally love Realism mode but also enjoy playing with the killcam because as I said, I feel it actually encourages realism. Hiding in one place and killing 24 people is just not realistic unless you're an MG on the beach at Normandy.
:)

Upvote 0
kill cam is horrible. just because someone just got killed by someone and they dont know where they were at, doesnt mean that the recipient of that bullet should get some sort of "game assisted higher chance at redemption" reward.

kill cam is just another microcosm of what is wrong with the "everyone is a winner" mentality of todays society. i know this is just a game...but take your lumps and learn from it.

and no, i will NOT give a bad rep vote to the op for his thoughts. just giving my 2 cents on the kill cam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I play on servers with kill-cam on and off. Doesn't really bother me too much. The kill cam allows you to play a bit more aggresive as you always know where someone camped you out. With the kill-cam off, you still get a second or two to spin the camera around to see if you can find the guy who shot you. So usually with killcam off I still get to see the little camping bastards.

Upvote 0
1. It shows the exact location where you are..for seeing muzzle flashes are still hard for people to find the location where you are stationed
2. wth is wrong with you people against camping?..So everyone expects a marksman to rush to cap?..I don't have anything against camping, it's whether you are effective or not.

HOWEVER Problem with the kill-cam can be solved by entering a realism server..(actually some custom realism servers turned the kill-cam off) ;)

Upvote 0