• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
They don't look so great to me. Not across the board anyway. Seeing like..every other game touted with great graphics being consistently good and not requiring a specific driver made for the game blow my mind as to how this is so ugly.
Want to try again and NOT link to a thread that specifically seeks to find the worst/lowest quality textures in a game?

Upvote 0
It seems alot of people had really high expectations for this game which I dont' really understand. Not since Quake 3 have they produced anything in-house generally considered "great". Doom 3 was meh and Quake IV was largely ignored. If you followed RAGE over the years or read hands-on previews, it appeared to be not much more than a simple, solid, shooter. Despite the ridiculous PC launch problems, that seems to be exactly what it is. I haven't seen enough to warrant a $60 purchase but with a few PC patches (including the mod tools) and a good sale, I'll be all over this.

The main thing I don't really understand is why they didn't incorporate even a simple multiplayer mode with first person guns and instead, only vehicular combat and coop. Hopefully this will be quickly remedied with the mod tools tho. Can anybody who played the current multiplayer comment on if it's any good?

Upvote 0
It seems alot of people had really high expectations for this game which I dont' really understand. Not since Quake 3 have they produced anything in-house generally considered "great". Doom 3 was meh and Quake IV was largely ignored. If you followed RAGE over the years or read hands-on previews, it appeared to be not much more than a simple, solid, shooter. Despite the ridiculous PC launch problems, that seems to be exactly what it is. I haven't seen enough to warrant a $60 purchase but with a few PC patches (including the mod tools) and a good sale, I'll be all over this.

The main thing I don't really understand is why they didn't incorporate even a simple multiplayer mode with first person guns and instead, only vehicular combat and coop. Hopefully this will be quickly remedied with the mod tools tho. Can anybody who played the current multiplayer comment on if it's any good?
Given the developer's attitude towards the PC market, I'd be rather surprised if they release mod tools. The game basically shipped without a graphics menu ...

If you want to read more about this, read this article:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/09/rage-patch/

Upvote 0
Given the developer's attitude towards the PC market, I'd be rather surprised if they release mod tools. The game basically shipped without a graphics menu ...

If you want to read more about this, read this article:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/09/rage-patch/

From the Bethesda forums on Oct 6:

We've had a number of folks asking when the RAGE editor and 64-bit .exe will be available for RAGE. We want to assure you these are coming, and we'll provide more details when they're available.

Upvote 0

Well, I'm surprised.

Upvote 0
From the Bethesda forums on Oct 6:

Quote:
We've had a number of folks asking when the RAGE editor and 64-bit .exe will be available for RAGE. We want to assure you these are coming, and we'll provide more details when they're available.

I remember recently seeing a developer say the same thing about an editor for their game. It never materialized. Both the game and the studio are now dead.

* Not suggesting a correlation between the lack of editor and the game/studio death, just saying hold your breath only once the thing starts to download.

Upvote 0
Things have changed I imagine since the union but 'id' do put out SDKs for their games.

Here is a review of the game which I believe has got it right.

I'm still being surprised by the mutant attacks, another little thing that I liked is that when you shoot (some) steam or water pipes,,, steam or water spurts out, its the little things that count...Rage Review - Billy Shibley - YouTube

Upvote 0
I'm currently playing this. The graphics are a two-edged sword. On one side they're great if you're looking at things from a distance. If you get up real close however you notice that the textures are extremely washed-out and well, simply put, real ugly.

Gameplay is similar. On one hand it isn't too bad, on the other hand it's way too easy somehow to really offer a challenge and missions somehow feel like they're always the same. The driving is fun and a nice change now and then. It's not that it's bad, it's just not very good either. They have a very realistically looking post-apocalyptic world, yet there's pretty much no real story at all so they completely fail to build up any more atmosphere than what exists due to the graphical representation of the wasteland.

All the games I recently played or currently play excell in something. Be it The Darkness with it's superb storytelling and atmosphere, Red Dead Redemption with it's epic scale or Deus Ex: Human Revolution with it's perfect FPS/RPG mix. RAGE excells in nothing really, and therefore probably won't be remembered very much either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0