• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Opinions on name-tags and realism.

They should be set to near, that would be realistic, because unless everybody has mikes and are constantly going on about where they are, noone would know anybody and as it is now the game makes players too anonymous (you rarely know the class or your teammates or your squadmembers).

They should never ever be set to far however, as the giant nametags tend to obscure the field of vision of any player looking ahead at a teammate (recon planes are annoying for the same reason, as suddenly everything is covered in red circles and numbers, making the actual enemy harder to spot).

Upvote 0
I personally prefer them on at very close ranges on the realism servers I frequent. The reason I have for this is so that if a teammate (or four) are in cover near me, I can look at each real quick, have an idea of who is near me, and then know who I need to direct my VOIP chat at, name-wise, to get their attention and to teamplay with. As far as immersion is concerned, it's great and all to have them removed, but it's far more useful to have the very close range names pop up above teammates' heads due to my previous reason. Without that, trying to teamplay with teammates nearby turns into a VOIP conversation of "Hey, who the hell is in cover right next to me?" followed by four replies from people all across the map.

Upvote 0
I still dont get why it would be "realistic" if you didnt recognize the dudes you eat, live and fight beside?

I agree completely.

In real-life you would recognize your friends. Name tags on friendly units also increase team-based gameplay, because if you can see where your friends are hold up, it's easier to keep in contact with them.

Upvote 0
I personally prefer them on at very close ranges on the realism servers I frequent. The reason I have for this is so that if a teammate (or four) are in cover near me, I can look at each real quick, have an idea of who is near me, and then know who I need to direct my VOIP chat at, name-wise, to get their attention and to teamplay with. As far as immersion is concerned, it's great and all to have them removed, but it's far more useful to have the very close range names pop up above teammates' heads due to my previous reason. Without that, trying to teamplay with teammates nearby turns into a VOIP conversation of "Hey, who the hell is in cover right next to me?" followed by four replies from people all across the map.

This, actually. I forgot the in-game VOIP is working now.

Upvote 0
I've put near friendly tags on and enabled 3D-positional VOIP. Killcam is off of course. TE only. Anyone who desires these particular features and is finding it hard to get them elsewhere (I have no idea) feel free to check it out.

217.163.30.22:7777

I'd like to see it myself but I've not yet found a server that had this particular combo and mine is almost always empty so testing is next to impossible.

Upvote 0
Unrealistic, annoying and game breaking. They ruin all the immersion, especially at spawn.

Tell me what is wrong with this picture:

And that's a "realism" server.

I do get your point, but it's a classic trade-off between one realism parameter for another.

But I guess it's like TWI deciding to turn anyone with a dedicated soundcard into somebody with a cheap-*** onboard chipset, they didn't bind player tags to the TAC button. Both are equally baffling decisions.

Upvote 0
I do get your point, but it's a classic trade-off between one realism parameter for another.

But I guess it's like TWI deciding to turn anyone with a dedicated soundcard into somebody with a cheap-*** onboard chipset, they didn't bind player tags to the TAC button. Both are equally baffling decisions.

Old RO system was almost perfect: you saw one player at a time when they were in the center of the screen.

I hope TWI will do the same for the realist settings, or better improve it: "center" a guy for 2-3 seconds before will display his name.

I dont need to see 20 names at spawn ! Really breaks all the effort put in the graphics and animations.

Upvote 0
Old RO system was almost perfect: you saw one player at a time when they were in the center of the screen.

I hope TWI will do the same for the realist settings, or better improve it: "center" a guy for 2-3 seconds before will display his name.

I dont need to see 20 names at spawn ! Really breaks all the effort put in the graphics and animations.

I found that very hit and miss, and needing to center a guy to see his name isn't the best thing to be doing in the middle of a fight anyway. And especially not with a delay as well.

TAC button would have been ideal.

Upvote 0