• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Red Orchestra 2 Review

Skjold89

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Sweden
After 123 hours logged into the beta & release i decided to write a short review as what to what i think.
This is not meant to bash the game, hype the game or do to do anything else then to reflect my personal opinion about the game.

Weapons/Class Loadout/Unlocks 6/10

Weapons behave realisticly, well made in almost every aspect and no complaints in the dev's design of the weaponry. However, i feel strongly against the a-historical weapon loadouts with 14 automatics/semi-autos on a 32 player team, which equals to almost 50 % of the team having access to this type of weaponry, while in reality this average was drastically lower.

This is not my major complaint however, it's the (extremly) a-historical unlocks that puts me off, and the fact that in some cases you have to unlock standard issue gear (Drum magazine on PPSh-41, Bayonet on bolt actions). For example, If you reach level 25 with your MP 40 you get a MP 40/II which was a half-assed attempt to match the PPSh-41 firepower and was field trialed in small numbers and the results came back as a complete failure and the idea was quickly abandoned.

I only named a few examples, but there is many more examples of this in the game. Which is why i ask myself, why put a unlock system in a game that plays out in World War 2, where the vast majority of all soldiers had a standard issue weapon like everyone else? It's just feels like it's there for the sake of being there and the game would probably be better off without it.

Graphics/Sound 9/10

Graphics excedded my expectations, the maps looks stunning and feel like the real Stalingrad seen in documentaries. The models, animations is just top class and beats most games in existance. Just the detail they put in is amazing, the ability to look around inside your PzKpfw IV or T-34, how you can be crawling around on the battlefield and a comrades arm landing infront of you, the ability to shoot a guy in hes neck and see him fall to the ground grasping for air only to gurgle on hes own blood and to finally become another silent body on the battlefield. Which leads me to my next point, the sound.

The sound is amazing, it probably makes up for the majority of the atmosphere of the game. The commisars or gruppenf

This is a great review, and I largely agree with all the points you've made. It's a shame that companies have to go down the route these days to "fit in" with the rest of the genre. I've never been a fan of unlock systems, but I understand why companies do it. It's all about giving the players tangible rewards that persist over time. Personally I think in online First-person shooters, everyone should be on a level playing field with the weapons and loadouts that were prevailent at the time, as you rightly point out. This COD/BF Unlock system is there to keep players playing. I wonder sometimes if it is to hide other bad choices of game design (personal conjecture).

Red Orchestra 2 stands up fine without any unlocks. It's fun enough as it is.

There are also balance issues as you say with an overly large percentage of the team in an assault role. Again I feel this is to capture the run and gun crowd and bring them in.

I believe they have made some sound business choices, that are at odds with their core customer base.

Upvote 0
First of all. Fantastic review.

Second, a few observations of my own. I feel that Red Orchestra 2 could lose the unlock system and only be the better for it. Making the "prototype/hero" wepons extremely rare would be the best bet with regard to the "unlockables".

The movement could also (as the OP describes) feel like it has more weight. As described it shouldn't feel like your character is "gliding" up stairs etc. Increasing the effects of loss of stamina is something that should help with the weighted feeling.

Adjusting the class restrictions can also help with controlling the flow/pace of the game by increasing the average % of basic riflemen and reducing the number of semi and automatic weapons. Maybe only allow SL and Commander only choose SMG's as the playercount on the server increases?

Above all however, I do hope TWI keep focusing on asymmetrical "balance" rather than artificial balance simply for the sake of balance. I believe it would be more interesting (and best for the game in the long run) for certain maps to favour one or the other side.

Upvote 0