• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanks - The Good, The Bad and the Beauty.

I used to love tanking in RO, the whole experience was way better than what I have in RO2 at the moment, I remember having to angle tanks just right in a fight to get maximum deflection from incoming rounds whilst dueling at 1000m with T34's(Tiger was awsome at this if it's done right), is angling even in RO2? If it is I havent noticed, even if it was the map sizes Ive tried so far makes it feel like im fighting in a phone booth with a bazooka.

I did also notice that the ability to change from AP to HE rounds made me somewhat godly, sorry for the guys I was in a server with when I just sat next to the enemy attack point racking up kills with HE again and again, whilst switiching with no effort between round loadouts if a tank arrived, I was just doing what the game let me do and it felt wrong, and I was accused of ruining the the map!. I wont even mention the AI MG kills
racking up on my behalf whilst I was in the can!
Then there are enemy tanks with the uncanny ability to take 5 or 6 rounds and then one shot me as soon as the turret on me just felt broken. ( I can buy being unlucky, but this happened far too many times and I was usually well hull down in great positions).

I also have a problem with over excited Ai tank crew screaming like girls at a Justin Beiber gig at the slightest ping of incoming anywhere on the tank, the first time this happened to me I saw on lone guy with an AT weapon not being very effective and killed him, not the huge barrel of an enemy tank I was expecting o.0.

I also agree with the total lack of suprise available to tankers on some maps, you have a set route to go and thats it, fine for balance reasons, it just doesn't sit well when you have a tactical tanker on the team who can't do what they want to support the team because they are effectively on rails thanks to map design, its far too easy to pick tanks off when you know where they are going to be 100% of the time, whats the point in the tank being there, just to spam HE into the distant fog hoping to get cheap kills?.

Tanks need a huge improvement and better maps imo.

In RO2 you can also angling your tank. Try it on 11 o clock.

Upvote 0
Just played a round on Red October, played as axis tanker and ranked up 80 kills my AI machine gunner seemed like a friggin wallhacker he mowed them down while i battle to drive the damn thing about and once stopped i just pumped HE rounds into infantry when a tank showed up i instantly switched to AP without delay and killed them is well. After playing with the tank i have come to conclusion that they are pretty awful. AI are annoying, driving the thing is horrible constantly getting clipped on objects and getting completely stuck in places when you shoudnt just gets really stupid. AI auto gunners blasting macine gun fire like they are snipers. Wth was the devs thinking when they added the tanks in this game why did they change them from being preety cool to absolute smoking poo... :(

Upvote 0
I think the tank spawn time is also way too fast, it's very frustrating to finally destroy that tank with your AT rifle just to see him be back in the same spot in 30 seconds. .

Oh then i have always the wrong map then. Sometimes i stop playing
because i read constantly spawn 18 secs and over and over again.
Choose another role and that doesn`t help either.

Upvote 0
33. Tank engine sounds disappear sometimes for a while. It reminds the 5.1 surround bug with 2.0 stereo headset where u only get engine sounds when u look back at the rear of the tank, except this time even then the engine does not make a sound. But perhaps these are related..

Some t-34 gameplay where u can see the sponginess etc bugs, but also the potential that the game has:

Red Orchestra 2: T-34 Tank Gameplay HD - YouTube

Ps. Could the crewmen pls shut the f*ck up!

Upvote 0
I don't know about you all but I think it would be awesome to actually have the option to manually shift gears in the tank and use the clutch!. The animations are already there, it would just need to be added in. Think of how much more exciting that would make driving the tank (not to mention realistic)

Also..

What about the option for the commander to just barely poke his head out of the cupola?, right now it looks like some sort of parade pose, with the hands on the hatch sides and his waist up out of the cupola. I believe in "Tigers in the Mud" Carius says it was more effective for the commander to have his head out of the hatch for the obvious view and tactical advantage. But with the current system, it is very easy to lose your commander.

Just my thoughts . . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
33. Tank engine sounds disappear sometimes for a while. It reminds the 5.1 surround bug with 2.0 stereo headset where u only get engine sounds when u look back at the rear of the tank, except this time even then the engine does not make a sound. But perhaps these are related..

Some t-34 gameplay where u can see the sponginess etc bugs, but also the potential that the game has:

Red Orchestra 2: T-34 Tank Gameplay HD - YouTube

Ps. Could the crewmen pls shut the f*ck up!

Then you have to buy a 5.1 surround set. Then you haven`t the ai talk
anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have 5.1 speakers and iirc u still hear the crewmen but not the engine when using headset and facing away from the engine itself. Anyway, atm i just change speaker settings from windows to 2.0 when i play.

Anyway, would be cool if the commander could use jump/prone to go up and down so peak from the cupola. Also pressing 6 would allow to change the binoc to smg would be a nice addition as well.

The clutch thing might be a bit too much for casual players but as long as there is the automatic gears available I would not mind if there was an option for manual clutch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
34. Add a separate 1-tank only vehicle channel so ppl don't have to use Mumble etc to talk to each other.

35. There is pretty much zero incentive to team tank in RO2. No way to exclusively to speak to ur crewman. No way to choose who is in your tank. Tanking with bot crewmen is way more efficient...

About tank superiority; I haven't yet noticed that either tank is anyway OP. Both seem to explode with 1-shots sometimes but mostly suck shells like sponges.

Upvote 0
I think a lot of these levels of realism should be setable in options.
That way you can please both arcade & realism buffs.

Most of the problems have already been discussed in detail, but I have a couple of suggestions which, if they have been discussed I have missed.

Firstly, tanks get stuck on single brick walls infuriatingly often.
They should break through them with barely any loss of momentum, if at speed, or if accelerating from rest, should just push them over.

Whilst I like the use of the WASD for the commander to instruct the driver, there should be a rotate clockwise & anticlockwise order key for use when stationary. Spinning on the spot should be able to be done quite quickly, rather than having to accelerate then manouvre.

Balla. :cool:

Upvote 0
Angling was in ROost exaggerated. When you had a angled IS2
you were undistructible till somebody had a idea to flank it.

In RO2 you can still angling. Do it on 10 / 11o clock. Try it.

But when tripwire make the T34 stronger you get whiners
about that. I only say debug the tanks.

Perchance do you have any screenshots or images showcasing how to "angle" tanks? I've played RO:Ostfront extensively and a fairly good amount of RO2:HoS, but for all of my experience and metagame knowledge, I'm pretty much an unskilled player when it comes to tanks. I never really played them too often in RO1 due to horrific crewmates, but I always wanted to know what this whole "angling" deal was all about and why it was so important. Again, screenshots/images would be superlative for this! :)

Upvote 0
Few have mentioned that tanks get stuck easily. I've yet to experience this cos I've mostly played Gumrak. I added this issue to the list.

I thought tanks do spin on the spot, albeit slowly.

Yes, you usually can manouvre with a lot of messing about, but it is frustrating.

Which keys would do the spin on the spot, using the method you mention?

Balla. :confused:

Upvote 0
Perchance do you have any screenshots or images showcasing how to "angle" tanks? I've played RO:Ostfront extensively and a fairly good amount of RO2:HoS, but for all of my experience and metagame knowledge, I'm pretty much an unskilled player when it comes to tanks. I never really played them too often in RO1 due to horrific crewmates, but I always wanted to know what this whole "angling" deal was all about and why it was so important. Again, screenshots/images would be superlative for this! :)

I will do, they will follow.:D

Upvote 0