• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG 34 Barrel destroyed

I kinda miss the sound of a broken barrel on a mg it seems the recoil is much higher in ro2 than in ro1 so they don't burn up the barrel as much.In ro1 most of the newer mg'ers would burn the barrel up fast.Unless they changed its sound I cant say I have even heard a burnt out barrel yet in ro2.

I never play the mg class but a few times I grabbed one off the ground when I seen the need for suppressed fire.May have to burn a barrel up one day just to hear the sound.

Historical fact: the mg 34/42 came with an asbestos cloth so the soldier wouldn't burn his hands on the red hot barrel as he changed it.

Upvote 0
If you fire off like 5-6 mag from the '34 without stopping you can break one of the barrels, do it to your other barrel and you cant use your '34 anymore :eek:

Yup.... so when you start to see your barrel smoke, switch it out so you use the new one and let the hot one cool down. By the time the second one starts to heat up, the other one should have cooled down enough to switch back.

Oh..... and if you burn out the DP28 barrel, you'd simply just screwed as you can't replace that barrel.

So burst shot.... don't just hold down the trigger.

Upvote 0
I think they might have increased the barrel heat up numbers. I have yet to make one of the barrels on either MG even steam a bit. I am also the type of MGer to chain single rounds on the mg34, and fire bursts of 2 rnds max on the dp. Course with my gaming mouse & quick finger I can stutter fire extremely accurate fire up to ~3 rnds per second on target with the MG34. :eek:

<3

Upvote 0
5-6 rounds??...I have fired an MG34 for more than 10rounds once, it didn't even smoke at all...

but I usually fire it in 3 shot bursts anyways since I don't want to deal with accuracy problems..and of course to reduce the usage of mg rounds since I don't have many on me cause I never lvled my MG really..

Upvote 0
Oh..... and if you burn out the DP28 barrel, you'd simply just screwed as you can't replace that barrel.

Which is so utterly ridiculous and imbalanced that i dont know what Tripwire was thinking..
Historical accuracy perhaps?

Then lets just give the Axis a Tiger tank and kiss balance goodbye, all in favor of historical accuracy! *sighs*

Upvote 0
Which is so utterly ridiculous and imbalanced that i dont know what Tripwire was thinking..

Then lets just give the Axis a Tiger tank and kiss balance goodbye, all in favor of historical accuracy! *sighs*
Historical realism games may not be for you

Historical fact: Russian mg'ers wasn't equipped with extra barrels besides taking it to the ordinance officer miles behind the lines and even then they was lucky to have the spare parts.The German mg's came with a extra barrel as standered issue.

M34-157-158-Barrel-Carriers.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Do you play mg? Have you ever broken your barrel?
I suspect you're raging for the sake of it.

The barrel wont break if you don't overheat it for too long.
I read before that the climate affects how fast it overheats too and from what I've seen it's already implemented in the game. Only overheat on the summer maps. Neato.

Upvote 0

Historical fact: Russian mg'ers wasn't equipped with extra barrels besides taking it to the ordinance officer miles behind the lines and even then they was lucky to have the spare parts.The German mg's came with a extra barrel as standered issue.

yes but MG34 and MG42 had to swap there barrels very fast already, this was also standard issue. 150 rounds fired and they had to swap barrels

Upvote 0
yes but MG34 and MG42 had to swap there barrels very fast already, this was also standard issue. 150 rounds fired and they had to swap barrels

Correct
Depending on their volume of fire most was trained to fire in short bursts.And mg's fired from a open bolt that helped cool the barrel only firing all 150 rds in a very short period would force em to change.The mg42 had a wicked fast rate of fire so they heated up faster. The Russian mg was the same way with slower ROF just they didn't have the spare barrels so had to be more careful.

I've never even got my barel to start smoking because I get killed before I get the chance to overheat. I don't even see how you'd ever get to heat up the barrel before dying with current gameplay mechanics.

If you want a game that you can take a full clip of bullets and still live and spend whole rounds without dying Ro may not be for you.99% of all other fps games is like that there is plenty to choose from.

Mg class is all about position and probably the least new player friendly class there is.If you set up in the wide open or don't move after mowing down people you will be killed alot.Nothing wrong with current mechanics just you haven't learned the game yet.Seen many mg'ers be very effective and it took them some time to learn good positions.

This is a game that has a learning curve and takes some patients so many negative posts due to people raging ... my new pic for these posts

cup-of-rage_01.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

My point was that this is a game, and it should be balanced as such.
The two different teams should have equal terms, with the players themselves making the difference on who wins and who doesnt.

Having 1 MG that has horrible accuracy and no barrels to change when overheating, is hardly balance.

Upvote 0

[MG]http://www.marstar.ca/images/Automatics/MG-34/M34-157-158-Barrel-Carriers.jpg[/IMG]

Can people shut up about historical realism already? There is such a long list of historically unrealistic game decisions they made that this is getting really old. RO2 is about as realistic as BF3.

Upvote 0
Do you play mg? Have you ever broken your barrel?
I suspect you're raging for the sake of it.

The barrel wont break if you don't overheat it for too long.
I read before that the climate affects how fast it overheats too and from what I've seen it's already implemented in the game. Only overheat on the summer maps. Neato.

I have absolutely broken the barrel of a DP28 many times. It sucks big time.

For the record: Burst fire is the way to go, but during a mad minute(to use Vietnam War era terms) when you're actively attempting to deny the enemy access to an area you sometimes need to let fly with everything you have or fire the bursts very close together because if you stop, two guys will jump out and one will get you. This happens pretty often during the end stages of Grain Elevator. An in-tact MG barrel next to your corpse is no better than risking a broken MG.

Also, yes, the fact that you can't swap the barrel on the DP28 is stupidly unbalanced.

Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
I have absolutely broken the barrel of a DP28 many times. It sucks big time.

For the record: Burst fire is the way to go, but during a mad minute(to use Vietnam War era terms) when you're actively attempting to deny the enemy access to an area you sometimes need to let fly with everything you have or fire the bursts very close together because if you stop, two guys will jump out and one will get you. This happens pretty often during the end stages of Grain Elevator. An in-tact MG barrel next to your corpse is no better than risking a broken MG.

Also, yes, the fact that you can't swap the barrel on the DP28 is stupidly unbalanced.

Well, it would be better if you found out how much time takes barrel change on DP-28 in comparison to MG34. In german counterpart its matter of seconds, With DP its not so easy and fast to do when in combat. On the other hand Soviets didn't care about their soldiers to supply them with spare parts, especially in encircled Stalingrad where ammo was priority.So, the question is how unbalanced it would be if barrel change on DP-28 will take few minutes?

Upvote 0