• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Long Range Moving Target Shooting

For me I find Rifle shooting at moving distant targets that are moving sideways is really a coin toss. Most of the time I miss or maybe wound them. The distance I have to lead also seems very random. Like sometimes I lead only a little bit an hit them. Other times I shot too early like a full 7 feet in front of them an expected to miss but it hit them. It's to where much of time I just don't shoot so I don't give away my position an wait for them to stop or move towards me. Tends to work better.

Upvote 0
The hitreg is definitely wacky. Im not sure how many of you have noticed, but often if you pop a sprinting target, you will see them drop dead before they even get to where you fired at.

Its pretty annoying, but its easy to visualize the hitboxes being projected infront of the moving target, hence being able to kill someone with a bullet that never even hits them.

I actually noticed this on servers with 100+ ping. Very weird indeed.

Upvote 0
I don't know why someone would think about "hitboxes" being projected ahead of the target. You are simply putting bullets where he will be when those bullets get there. This isn't a hitscan game...

What you are saying would be true, had the targets actually gotten to where the bullet was firing. You're not understanding what I am saying. If you fire at point X, the target (point Z) dies at point Y from your gunshot, before arriving at point X, thus the hitboxes are projected far in front of the player models to attempt to compensate for lag.

X--Y----------<<<Z

Z runs towards the left, you fire at point X, and the targets body drops dead from your gunshot at point Y.

Upvote 0
There's a few things going on. First is that leading a moving target at more than about 100m with a single shot is hard, even in the real world. How much to lead changes with target speed and angle (if they are running directly across your front, our moving a bit towards/away from you).

Second is the wounding system. It can be hard to tell if you've scored a minor hit as it has no real effect on the victim, unlike RO1 where you would see them slow down or drop their gun.

Third is that wounding is also bugged as even chest hits can not only be bandaged, but sometimes have no effect at all. You can tell when you are on the receiving end of this as your avatar will cool out that he is hit, and you see some hit effects on your screen, but you don't have to bandage and you don't go into slow death. If you get a hit like this and don't see the blood spray you would think that you have missed.

One way to tell if you are wounding is to look for "kill assist" messages. Sometimes you see these ages after you've shot at an enemy - I think it means you hit them without realizing it, and a friendly team mate has just cleaned them up for good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What you are saying would be true, had the targets actually gotten to where the bullet was firing. You're not understanding what I am saying. If you fire at point X, the target (point Z) dies at point Y from your gunshot, before arriving at point X, thus the hitboxes are projected far in front of the player models to attempt to compensate for lag.

X--Y----------<<<Z

Z runs towards the left, you fire at point X, and the targets body drops dead from your gunshot at point Y.

That should be the case Areseassin, but in this game it doesnt work like that. Even on low ping servers i sometimes completely miss my target and it registers as a hit. When i hit a target nothing happens. I really think tripwire need to assess the hit reg system and reconfigure it. This was at around 100 meters using the 100 meter marker on the rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why would you ever adjust your sights ?

The MG can be set from 200m-1200m.

Tell me one map, aside from the Gu-something tank-only map that is even 200m wide?

The longest shots you do in the game is 150-175m, the latter range being almost exclusively on FallenFighters.

On Spartanovka I've done 175m+ range shots with Kar98 (as you get the achievement it's very noticable when you do your first 175m range shot). Did I bother adjusting the sights up to 200m instead of 100m which is default on rifles? No... can't be arsed. The gun shoots straight enough at 175m with 100m range set. Put the crosshair on the center mass of your target, which is barely more than a handful pixels at that range, squeeze off a shot and you are pretty much guaranteed to hit (barring any other unforseen factors such as lag, target moving suddenly, grenade/arty landing in your face or bouncing your sights etc).

The bottom line is... adjusting the range on rifles and MG is a waste of time. On sniper it might help (though I rarely ever play sniper since I don't like the camping style of it). On tanks you might adjust the sights, although I can fire accurately clean across FallenFighters without bothering to adjust the sights.

The only time I ever really had to adjust my sights was on that Gu-something tank only map where you are firing at extreme ranges.

Another thing that comes into play is of course Identification-Friend-or-Foe (IFF). At 175m+ range, can you *really* know that the black/grey clump of pixels is an enemy, or could it be a friendly? Are you gonna open fire and risk blowing away a Squad Leader who spent the last 10 bloody minutes crawling across FallenFighters park, bandaging, praying no arty hits him during a barrage, strangling 3 enemies and battling a polar bear to get into a position to give his squad of 7 people a spawnpoint close to the front?

I dunno how many times I have been shot and killed behind, or near the enemy line, as a Squad Leader. I get my arse up there so the squad can maintain pressure on the front by not having to footzerg from base, and some triggerhappy, fraghungry, halfbrained camper with a scope (or even without) takes shots at me and kills me.

If you can't tell enemy from friendly (and you can't at 175m+ range, unless scoped or tank sights) then DON'T SHOOT. Sure, you can make an educated guess that it might, possibly, if the circumstances are right and with a bit of luck be an enemy you are shooting at.

So what then is the point adjusting sights at all? You need the enemy to be closer to be certain you are not shooting your own team anyways.

Unless, of course, teamplay is unimportant and kills outweigh the risk of teamkills.

Upvote 0
I dont get the idea of moving targets though, i aim infront of the running enemy all the time and once in a blue mood score a hit.
Can someone shed some light on this one?

Yeah. There are several different techniques, but I like using one that uses the target's own body to act as a ruler and a reference point. This is how I was taught to do it in the army:

Spoiler!

In the image, the two columns of pictograms are a man running at full speed side ways, and a man walking sideways. The top row shows how you calculate the lead. You visually 'measure' the distance between the centre line (the left most blue line) and the front knee (the second blue line). The knee is the correct lead for 100m. You double that (third blue line) for 200m and triple it for 300m.

No matter what speed he is going, the distance between that front knee and the centre line will always scale like this. Not only that, but if they are not running straight across, but obliquely towards or away from you, the apparent distance will also scale.

To maximise the chance of an effective hit on the target, you should aim to hit the hips. Because the front knee and thigh are only horizontal at full pace, you should raise the sights to have the aim point at the same level as the hips, rather than pointing directly at the knee. The 2nd through 4th rows of pictograms show the aim point calculated from the knee. If the sight is set to the correct range, this is where you aim. If it is not, calculate the drop required to get the bullet to hit that spot and offset the aim manually.

Combine this technique with the range finding one, and you should be able to estimate the range based on the fall of shot, adjust the sight and try again if you miss.

I use this method in the game all the time, and it works for me. The beauty of it is you need nothing but sight of the target. You do not need any known reference points so you can use it on a map you've never even seen before. My best has been a 258m full sprint running man killed with a single 3 round burst from the DP-28.

This is a proper military technique for killing human beings. You see so many people giving advice that actually have no idea how to target a human being. They have learned to shoot at a civilian target range where they are told to never point it at a human, and are most certainly NOT told how to properly lead a running one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0